Prediction 2023 optimisism

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m liking what I’m seeing and want to have hope for 2023. With what we’ve seen this year 2023 could be exciting with the right coaching

FB. Burton Pisani. Cluery
HB. Bonner Alir. Houston
C. Farrell Drew. Duursma
HF. SPP Finlayson Jones
FF. Fantasia Marshall Mitch G
Rk Dixon Wines (C) Rozee
Int Butters Sinn Bergman Burgoyne, Jonas, two first round picks including Amon trade plus some other youth that have potential.

It’s time to move on from Gray, Boak perhaps even Jonas.

That could form a fantastic premiership side

I’m liking what I’m seeing and want to have hope for 2023. With what we’ve seen this year 2023 could be exciting with the right coaching
and it's looki.
HB. Bonner Alir. Houston
C. Farrell Drew. Duursma
HF. SPP Finlayson Jones
Rk Dixon Wines (C) Rozee
Int Butters Sinn Bergman Burgoyne, Jonas, two first round picks including Amon trade plus some other youth that have potential.

Yep I agree but like you said with the correct coaching, a new coach would have a lot to work with.

Last edited:

I also think Mitch should model his game on Darling, but Mitch has more athleticism
Now Geogiades is one player that would benefit from a good forwards coach. It's unfortunate that Tredrea is not involved with with our club, I believe he did offer his services at one point but was told no thanks.

I also think Mitch should model his game on Darling, but Mitch has more athleticism
He already has. fumbles simple marks and drops them and then goes and takes a tough one, just like Darling.

HB. Bonner Alir. Houston
C. Farrell Drew. Duursma
HF. SPP Finlayson Jones
Rk Dixon Wines (C) Rozee

I can't see that centre line winning a flag

Without making this another Sack Hinkley thread, I'm really liking our list for another tilt in a few seasons. The core is good enough for the club to step up. The hardest position to sort is KPF, and we have KPFs who are already very good with elite potential at ages 26, 23 and 20. We've finally solved that long term problem.

We probably need one or two more prime mover mids, and one key defender. But those are obtainable. We have plenty of skill and plenty of hard nuts. We just need to put it together.

2019 - building the best u/23 squad the club claims.

Means in 2025 the oldest of these players are 29. That's when we are likely to win our next flag.

HB. Bonner Alir. Houston
C. Farrell Drew. Duursma
HF. SPP Finlayson Jones
Rk Dixon Wines (C) Rozee

The problem has never been talent. Bad sides can’t be “flat-track bullies”. We can play high-level footy. We have been unable to keep playing it constantly.

We have failed in many different ways: preparation, change of circumstances, late fading, etc. One have trouble to pin-point exactly what we are lacking.

For me, it’s the mindset. We have leadership issues.

2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 if those players keep growing, I’d say 2025
The problem has never been talent. Bad sides can’t be “flat-track bullies”. We can play high-level footy. We have been unable to keep playing it constantly.

We have failed in many different ways: preparation, change of circumstances, late fading, etc. One have trouble to pin-point exactly what we are lacking.

For me, it’s the mindset. We have leadership issues.
We have since 2014 IMO lack of composure and leaders at clutch times in big games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leadership begins in the presidency and goes all the way down to the field. On the field, Port lacks a Didi.

In the 1958 World Cup, Brazil qualified to play the hosts in the Grand Final. It was our second GF. The first one had been a tragic disaster 8 years earlier (a home loss to Uruguay).

Our players were nervous. They were feeling the pressure. Then, Sweden scored first. It seemed that the dream was over.

Didi was a midfielder, but he rapidly went to get the ball on the net. Legend says that he left the goal smiling and said: “Don’t worry, guys. In a World Cup final, the first one is for the ducks.” [Pato (“duck”) is a slang for naïve.]

The team cooled down, and the rest is history. We won by 5-2, and the relationship between Brazil and the World Cup changed forever.

In common to all Brazilian World-Cup-champion sides, there are these figures like Didi. People that step up when things aren’t going our way and carry the team with them.

It doesn’t mean that we have never lost with them. We have. However, you can be assured that we have never won without them.

P.S.: Didi, of course, was exaggerating. He was relying on the previous two tournaments. Indeed, the WC of 1934, 1950, and 1954 had all witnessed comebacks; but the champions had scored first in 1930* and 1938.

* In 1930, there were actually two comebacks: URU 1-0; 1-2 ARG; URU 4-2.

Without making this another Sack Hinkley thread, I'm really liking our list for another tilt in a few seasons. The core is good enough for the club to step up. The hardest position to sort is KPF, and we have KPFs who are already very good with elite potential at ages 26, 23 and 20. We've finally solved that long term problem.

We probably need one or two more prime mover mids, and one key defender. But those are obtainable. We have plenty of skill and plenty of hard nuts. We just need to put it together.
I know we don't want to make this another negative thread but reality is we need to remove Ken and get some fresh ideas in because we aint wining shit with him as coach.
I agree with you we have a list that can get us a flag, like you say a few positions to sort out be we are in reasonable nick.

We need to remove Ken, sure but after that

Marshall - Georgiades is an exciting combo.
Burton, Rozee and Farell all smooth movers while Butters and Jones have some bite.

All of the above should be AA's at some point, under a new coach the future is bright.

I'll wager Travis Boak will still be playing and being selected next year.

Leadership begins in the presidency and goes all the way down to the field. On the field, Port lacks a Didi.

In the 1958 World Cup, Brazil qualified to play the hosts in the Grand Final. It was our second GF. The first one had been a tragic disaster 8 years earlier (a home loss to Uruguay).

Our players were nervous. They were feeling the pressure. Then, Sweden scored first. It seemed that the dream was over.

Didi was a midfielder, but he rapidly went to get the ball on the net. Legend says that he left the goal smiling and said: “Don’t worry, guys. In a World Cup final, the first one is for the ducks.” [Pato (“duck”) is a slang for naïve.]

The team cooled down, and the rest is history. We won by 5-2, and the relationship between Brazil and the World Cup changed forever.

In common to all Brazilian World-Cup-champion sides, there are these figures like Didi. People that step up when things aren’t going our way and carry the team with them.

It doesn’t mean that we have never lost with them. We have. However, you can be assured that we have never won without them.

P.S.: Didi, of course, was exaggerating. He was relying on the previous two tournaments. Indeed, the WC of 1934, 1950, and 1954 had all witnessed comebacks; but the champions had scored first in 1930* and 1938.

* In 1930, there were actually two comebacks: URU 1-0; 1-2 ARG; URU 4-2.

you're right

After seeing the line up FishingRick04 put up, I mucked around with the under 28's (as I see us rebuilding for 2 years) and basically came up with the same side. The side is talented and has just a few areas of uncertainty

but what we lack is leaders. In our 2004 side Tredders, CCornes, JCarr, Hardwick, Wangas etc could all stand up when it mattered. We lack that strength of character.

Last edited:
I can't see that centre line winning a flag
Yup, midfield is a huge concern. Other teams are rising far quicker with much more promising talent. We're lacking quality tall backs, midfield needs Rozee to become a superstar, and a couple other elite players to rise, we have some holes in the small forward spots and our depth is very shallow.

Not bad enough to bottom out, not good enough to win flags, we're well and truly stuck in a mid table nightmare.

We need our first rounder group in Sinn, Bergman, Duursma, Lachie Jones, to become stars for us to have a premiership chance in a few years, with the recruitment of some key backs and small forwards, while Rozee, Butters, Drew, SPP, have to all step up as top line mids, a couple of which must become elite.

2019 - building the best u/23 squad the club claims.

Means in 2025 the oldest of these players are 29. That's when we are likely to win our next flag.

our under 28s can form a decent side

I feel we need a decent sized FB and probably a tweak to the engine room and we should be in our window as you suggest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back