Prediction 2023 optimisism

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange time for this I think. The game on the weekend showed a lot I thought - in particular the first quarter and how good some of our ball users looked going forward. Rozee, Farrell, Finlayson, Burton, Houston all look so good with ball in hand. Once Butters gets back properly you can add him to that list and in theory theres a guy called Fantasia that's meant to play for us who's a good kick too. That gives us elite users and multiple great talls (3 of which can take a contested grab) - Dixon, Marshall, Finlayson and Georgiades are a tough matchup for anyone, kick the ball to their advantage and we should be scoring well each week. Forward line gets a tick for once.

That leaves the midfield and defence.

Midfield lacks breakaway footy - that requires either an elite tap ruck, a contested ball winner with elite pace or elite contested ball getter with great hands. We have Rozee with pace but not enough contested ball and Wines for contested ball but nobody else as reliable. Boak straddles the 2 but is only getting older and we really need some of the younger guys to take over as a primary ball winner to go with Wines. Drew is great as the defensive mid, don't need more of them. If Butters and Rozee continue to develop then I think we're sorted there with 1 more good mid rotation - replacing Amon/Mead/Dumont.

Midfield is almost good enough. Don't mind Finlayson or Lycett or ruck - both offer different things with Lycett a contested marker and nullifier of opposition rucks and Finlayson providing agility to run off the opposition ruck and provide a better kick than any other ruck in the comp going inside 50.

Then there's defence. And this is the problem. It's the wrong age bracket and not functioning well enough as it is. We are reliant on Clurey, McKenzie, Jonas and Aliir. Aliir is young enough and tall enough but the others are getting to the point where their footy is only getting worse. That's a problem. You look at Melbourne and Lever looks unstoppable when May is in the team. The same applies for us, if we can get a rock solid full back suddenly Aliir can play AA footy again.

So if you want to be optimistic just look at the quality of footy we're already capable of and how few spots we need to fill to be contender quality. My offseason shopping list looks like this:

1. Full bodied key defender (Tall)
2. Contested ball winner with pace / good hands

Is JHF just a pipe dream ?
Would really be the perfect addition to our young midfielders .
Rozee , Butters , Wines and JHF 😊

I’m liking what I’m seeing and want to have hope for 2023. With what we’ve seen this year 2023 could be exciting with the right coaching

FB. Burton Pisani. Cluery
HB. Bonner Alir. Houston
C. Farrell Drew. Duursma
HF. SPP Finlayson Jones
FF. Fantasia Marshall Mitch G
Rk Dixon Wines (C) Rozee
Int Butters Sinn Bergman Burgoyne, Jonas, two first round picks including Amon trade plus some other youth that have potential.

It’s time to move on from Gray, Boak perhaps even Jonas.

That could form a fantastic premiership side
You don't rate Hayes or think he will be shipped off?

You don't rate Hayes or think he will be shipped off?
I’m basing it on the vibe of how he’s treated. I like what he offers, not sure he will step it up.

When Mitch burst on to the scene, he reminded me a little of Hodges but has since gone off the boil, last Sunday he looked like he may be getting his mojo back.

Did you hear Kens presser, he mentioned they didn’t want to mark the ball much …… I mean how’s George meant to play with those rules.

I’m liking what I’m seeing and want to have hope for 2023. With what we’ve seen this year 2023 could be exciting with the right coaching

FB. Burton Pisani. Cluery
HB. Bonner Alir. Houston
C. Farrell Drew. Duursma
HF. SPP Finlayson Jones
FF. Fantasia Marshall Mitch G
Rk Dixon Wines (C) Rozee
Int Butters Sinn Bergman Burgoyne, Jonas, two first round picks including Amon trade plus some other youth that have potential.

It’s time to move on from Gray, Boak perhaps even Jonas.

That could form a fantastic premiership side
I can't see Finlayson and Dixon rucking a full season into September. Ruck stocks is my biggest dampener on my optimism after the coaching box.

Pisani still to make his debut so interchange at best for me at this stage, especially first year back from an ACL. Defence I reckon we hold up ok.

Rotating Rozee and Butters through the forward line will help cover Fantasia as definitely going to need so pace and x factor post Robbie (personally hope they retire his no.9 for a while to help us grieve the loss)

In the other youth with potential bucket I don't mind the look of Mead for a 20 year old, I think he's tracking ok compared with Farrell or Amon at similar stages in their career.

The remaining 8 games will determine my optimism for next year. We play some good teams, would be nice to get out of this flat track bullies phase. If we can beat a couple of the top 8 teams then I think i will feel better about next year.

Best thing to come out of 2022 for our future is Rozee the midfielder and Todd Marshall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The remaining 8 games will determine my optimism for next year. We play some good teams, would be nice to get out of this flat track bullies phase. If we can beat a couple of the top 8 teams then I think i will feel better about next year.

Best thing to come out of 2022 for our future is Rozee the midfielder and Todd Marshall

The better we play these last 8 games the more likely we are to roll into 2023 with ken Hinkley at the helm.

I’m of the view that Boak and gray can play as long as they want provided they’re willing to play seconds if their form doesn’t warrant selection.
I like your thinking but with Kern at the helm he would rather end careers instead of doing what you have suggested. Schulz, Westhoff to name a couple would have been great depth, they also would be playing a part in keeping the A side competitive at all times.

The better we play these last 8 games the more likely we are to roll into 2023 with ken Hinkley at the helm.
Richardson has already guaranteed Hinkley his job for 2023, said it a couple of weeks ago said he will be at port in 2023. We hate it but he ain’t going anywhere. Koch and this admin have put up with crap for 10 years. Why now would they grow a set?

I won't be optimistic until there is massive Sydney Swans like cultural change at the club. As a non Victorian club, a good list with a loser culture will never win a premiership (see Brisbane right now as a great example).

Robbie will naturally retire at the end of this year. Age and lack of pace are catching up with him.

Boak will definitely play on. I'm not really sure that's a good thing. Maybe to protect the young midfield for a year or 2 whilst it is maturing. Boak is the is a great bloke, clubman and professional but his lack of clutch epitomises what the Hinkley era has been.

Robbie will naturally retire at the end of this year. Age and lack of pace are catching up with him.

Boak will definitely play on. I'm not really sure that's a good thing. Maybe to protect the young midfield for a year or 2 whilst it is maturing. Boak is the is a great bloke, clubman and professional but his lack of clutch epitomises what the Hinkley era has been.
Sometimes veterans that have known nothing but failure from a team aspect need to make way.

People love to talk about Port being ruthless again but don't have the minerals to see the right calls.

Sometimes veterans that have known nothing but failure from a team aspect need to make way.

People love to talk about Port being ruthless again but don't have the minerals to see the right calls.

Probably because the people making the calls are also losers who have known nothing but failure so moving on the players won't actually change anything???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back