Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

At one stage during backline structure training (it looked like), RTB wasn't happy with it and made everybody stop and not move so he could point out the incorrect positioning of a couple of them. Very different to last year, that's for sure

At one stage during training last year, Ratten looked like he wasn't happy, he ignored the players and got the development coach to take his cappuccino back to the cafeteria and clearly explain to the barista how to improve.

You do realise this sim they are talking about, where Allison took two huge contested pack marks and then converted both to goals from tight angles and at some distance was in reality an AI sim that the boffins were running in game plan department on a high end laptop, right ? Pretty sure they use MacBook Pros.
I don't want to knock this kid , he was a high draft pick for a reason and any tall kid usually take more time to develop.
He has exceptional endurance as shown by the time trail , if the penny has dropped he could surprise everyone.
I hope he does.

I don't want to knock this kid , he was a high draft pick for a reason and any tall kid usually take more time to develop.
He has exceptional endurance as shown by the time trail , if the penny has dropped he could surprise everyone.
I hope he does.

I figured they gave him the extra year because they knew he'd need time, and they didn't want to put him under that sort of pressure.
But this year he needs to show something.

I think that's the context we need to be focusing on.

We're talking about Darragh Joyce's replacement... not max kings.... (or indeed any other starting 22 guy.)

Storm in a teacup even if it turns out cordy IS a fat, slow, falldown drunk.

If he is, he'll always have a home here with us on bf.

I thought it was a fact that he was a slow , falldown drunk.
So we just need to determine whether he's fat or not.

Some of my impressions:
  • Wanganeen is sexual off a HBF. Reads the play well, nice height to help intercept and then that composure and leg!! Toot tooot!
  • Owens involved so much up forward. Needs to stick some marks, but gee he moves well and competes so hard.
  • I was impressed with Peris playing a high HF type role. Involved quite a lot just through running hard, but seemed to be reading the play well.
  • Pou got on the end of some nice passages for lead ups and goals. It was nice to see how naturally he positioned himself and not something we seem to have ever done well as a group (that easy, really short hit up kick into 50).
  • Sharman looking bigger and another that naturally leads up well and nice hands.
  • Hill looking as fit as I’ve seen.
  • Whole midfield has so much more depth.
  • At one point early on, Peris did a no look handball that hit the deck and RTB didn’t take any s**t and made them re-do.

Could be a fun team to watch this year.
With Owens playing fwd and looking good will be interesting to see where Higgins fits in.
Anyone know how Higgins is looking on the track?

With Owens playing fwd and looking good will be interesting to see where Higgins fits in.
Doubt Owens goes ahead of Higgins. Injuries were the only thing stopping him from kicking 40 plus goals.

How many other players do we have that can do that?

I thought it was a fact that he was a slow , falldown drunk.
So we just need to determine whether he's fat or not.
If he doesn't perform he will not be in the team - Ross Lyon will deal with it - he was not at the club when they picked him up , so it is no skin off his nose if he is useless.

I hope he does.
Take out a couple of no-name NGA pics at the back of the 2020 draft, and there were about 55 kids taken that year.

Allison was pick 26. Hardly the 'high-end' of the draft. And 2020 looks like a pretty average draft too.

For context, Seb Ross, Jack Steele and Dan McKenzie all drafted higher than him. Ben Long too. Those are closer to Allison's 'peers' in terms of where he was rated

Despite being a first rounder on paper, he cant really be compared to Billings, King, Coff, Clark, Wang or Pou in terms of an underage talent. Why all the angst about a middle of the range draft pick in an average year?

To be clear, I hope the kid makes it. But at all the commentary about a wasted pick is very over the top sometimes

Last edited:
Higgins is a natural around goals , if he is fit and doesn't get any more head knocks he will be more than damaging , like he showed last year - it just depends on the coach , if he fit's his game style.

Doubt Owens goes ahead of Higgins. Injuries were the only thing stopping him from kicking 40 plus goals.

How many other players do we have that can do that?
Not sure Higgins' out the back goals will necessarily win votes with Ross.
His best is awesome but when he is off he is average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take out a couple of NGA pics at the back of the 2020 draft, and there were about 55 kids taken that year.

Allison was pick 26. Hardly the 'high-end' of that draft. And 2020 doesnt look like a great draft at all.

For context, Seb Ross, Jack Steele and Dan McKenzie all drafted higher than him. Ben Long too. Those are closer to Allison's 'peers' in terms of where he was rated.

Despite being a first rounder on paper, he cant really be compared to Billings, King, Coff, Clark, Wang or Pou
Anyone one in the top 30 must have some talent - he was no high end draft pick - but when he is higher than Owens and Windhager he must have impressed someone.

B: Paton - Eyre - Wilkie
HB: Wang.-Mil. - Battle - Sinclair
C: Hill - Windhager - Ross
HF: Sharman - Membrey - Peris
F: Higgins - Allison - Owens
Foll: Marshall - Wood - Crouch

Int: Howard Billings Gresham Butler Coffield Phillipou Heath

😉

Ross will be great for his development IMO, but if you think he's only getting goals out the back you're not watching enough footy.

He's got a lot of strings to his bow.

Looks reasonably sharp. Skin folds looks they might be a bit better 😄. Definitely a spot for both, but it might be Owens v someone else with Mitch’s versatility both Fwd and Mid but also to play tall and small up forward too.

He kicked a few out the back goals last year but he misses a lot of easy shots as well. I feel like that kind of evens out.

I’m expecting a big year from him.

Has a worse looking routine than Aussie Jones did, looks like another of the group we have that struggle between the ears. If we can't change the psychology/mentality of the group I don't think any other changes we make will really help.

They need confidence, belief, clear communication, leadership, mental resilience before we do anything.

Reckon I've heard that one every year for the past 10 years lol. If we haven't addressed that now, we never will
I've been saying it's an issue since 2016. We've been inconsistent since then, before that we were just plain shit. I worry that this group will never fix it. If we aren't falling asleep within a span of 10mins, we are doing it within a quarter, a game, or as we saw recently, a season lol.

I don't particularly care if we lose provided we are giving it 100%, but think we pick and choose too often and to me it's down to the things I mentioned before. With standards you get things like clear communication and leadership. We have no standards, or just don't have the standards required to perform at the top level consistently. The mental toughness stuff comes a bit later but we need leadership and communication as the base.

It's so easy to see us winning 15 games next year just as it's easy seeing us win 5. If we stop picking and choosing when to turn up then we will be fine, the worry for me is that I'm not sure this group has it in them. Guess time will tell

It's more that he hasn't played a game yet. If he has been signed as depth then he is a lot better than Joyce so he's already an upgrade.

There's no point stamping a trade as a fail until we've at least seen him play. He may end up being very handy.

A "depth" 26 yo player gets a one year deal, and if he does not go ok it is off you go. If he goes ok he gets extended.

Cordy is on a three year deal. So if he does not end up at least handy that is one spot tied up for 3 years.

A 26 yo player who has gotten a three year deal really needs to show why pretty well straight up.

Last edited:
I've been saying it's an issue since 2016. We've been inconsistent since then, before that we were just plain s**t. I worry that this group will never fix it. If we aren't falling asleep within a span of 10mins, we are doing it within a quarter, a game, or as we saw recently, a season lol.

I don't particularly care if we lose provided we are giving it 100%, but think we pick and choose too often and to me it's down to the things I mentioned before. With standards you get things like clear communication and leadership. We have no standards, or just don't have the standards required to perform at the top level consistently. The mental toughness stuff comes a bit later but we need leadership and communication as the base.

It's so easy to see us winning 15 games next year just as it's easy seeing us win 5. If we stop picking and choosing when to turn up then we will be fine, the worry for me is that I'm not sure this group has it in them. Guess time will tell

I'm hoping that's why the first time under Ross we start to look like letting a 60 point win turn into a 25 point win or go missing for a half that Ross gives them the biggest spray they've had and they learn that giving up that sort of stuff is going to get them on this train:
1673611452796.png

B: Paton - Eyre - Wilkie
HB: Wang.-Mil. - Battle - Sinclair
C: Hill - Windhager - Ross
HF: Sharman - Membrey - Peris
F: Higgins - Allison - Owens
Foll: Marshall - Wood - Crouch

Int: Howard Billings Gresham Butler Coffield Phillipou Heath

😉
Did Coffield get a run , I thought I heard he had a injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back