Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s he going? Endurance around the ground was always his weakness. He still competing well in the air for contested marks?
TBH I didn't really notice him. Didn't see him in the match sim as they always started from a pretend free kick and there was no rucking.
When they were practicing centre sq stuff it was on the other side of the oval so was watching stuff a little closer to where I was standing.

Some of my impressions:
  • Wanganeen is sexual off a HBF. Reads the play well, nice height to help intercept and then that composure and leg!! Toot tooot!
  • Owens involved so much up forward. Needs to stick some marks, but gee he moves well and competes so hard.
  • I was impressed with Peris playing a high HF type role. Involved quite a lot just through running hard, but seemed to be reading the play well.
  • Pou got on the end of some nice passages for lead ups and goals. It was nice to see how naturally he positioned himself and not something we seem to have ever done well as a group (that easy, really short hit up kick into 50).
  • Sharman looking bigger and another that naturally leads up well and nice hands.
  • Hill looking as fit as I’ve seen.
  • Whole midfield has so much more depth.
  • At one point early on, Peris did a no look handball that hit the deck and RTB didn’t take any shit and made them re-do.

Could be a fun team to watch this year.

Last edited:

TBH I didn't really notice him. Didn't see him in the match sim as they always started from a pretend free kick and there was no rucking.
When they were practicing centre sq stuff it was on the other side of the oval so was watching stuff a little closer to where I was standing.
Took a nice contested mark against Ro. Seems to compete hard in the ruck.

Just went to training for about 2 hours, few rough notes in my phone:

• Matt Allison in this 13v13 match sim looking like an actual key forward wow. Pretty poor around the ground early on and got caught holding the ball a LOT, however kicked a few very nice snags from strong pack marks in the sim!!
  • Byrnes very good had a lot of the ball, looked pretty involved all session. Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a game
  • Matteus just has this look about him that he takes this s**t so seriously. Will be a player in time. Kicked a few goals and did some awesome kicks through the middle
  • Windy is shredded, Michito is a *ing unit (I think we’ll see Owens up forward more than anywhere else)
  • Mason wood playing as a midfielder this year it seems, very underrated player. Looks awesome
  • Josh Eyre nice big kick on him, holds up the play too much with slow decision making imo but looks a good size
  • I don’t wanna see Cordy play a game for us this year
  • Steeley definitely looks proppy. Looks no good at all (had the fleuro hat on)
  • Injured/Light group consisted of Battle, Hayes, Gresh, Adams, McLennan, Billings, DMAC,
  • King, Jones, Keeler, Coff, Leo, Campbell didn’t train
  • Big Paddy Ryder and Dean Kent came down to say hello to the lads
  • I noticed a few players brought up some little hamstring niggles at the end to the fitness team
  • Iced Oat Latte went down a treat accompanied by a fresh longsleeve home guernsey.
At the sessions I went to before the break I thought Allison was playing more as a tall HFF and seemed more suited to that than a key position.

At one stage during backline structure training (it looked like), RTB wasn't happy with it and made everybody stop and not move so he could point out the incorrect positioning of a couple of them. Very different to last year, that's for sure

Dear Lord,

Please tell me it was Ross telling Dougal to, for once in his life... stand in the same postcode as his direct opponent.

Sincerely,

The Steadier

Amen.

Dear Lord,

Please tell me it was Ross telling Dougal to, for once in his life... stand in the same postcode as his direct opponent.

Sincerely,

The Steadier

Amen.
I don't really mind that Dougal isn't always side to side with his opponent. I find it more frustrating that he does so not for team defence, but due to doing his own thing. He loves to sit five metres behind them and back himself to sprint/leap over the top with a big spoil. Looks good when it works, but leaves him out of position often. If we can implement a proper zone defence where they are responsible for sections of territory and support each other more effectively, it'd be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Wood to midfield thing is interesting. Has never really played there from memory. Seems like there's quite rolling through there this pre-season. Though that is always the case at this time of year. Push comes shove and they generally end up back in usual positions. If it's a proper plan for the season though, it'll be interesting to see how it works.

Well towards the end of every quarter my money would be on Michael Johnson gaining suitable separation and taking more or less uncontested marks.

And what is this... panic, you say?

Hardly. 🙄
Ball bounces off his chest because he is running too fast. Cordy doesn’t have that problem. I actually can’t see anything wrong with getting cordy. Costs a spot on the list. 10 players don’t play every year as it is. And with king out we may need a bit moving of players back and forward early in the year. He certainly is better than Joyce.

I don't really mind that Dougal isn't always side to side with his opponent. I find it more frustrating that he does so not for team defence, but due to doing his own thing. He loves to sit five metres behind them and back himself to sprint/leap over the top with a big spoil. Looks good when it works, but leaves him out of position often. If we can implement a proper zone defence where they are responsible for sections of territory and support each other more effectively, it'd be great.
Looked ok against McKay this year. I think he goes ok and I like that he speaks up when there is issues in the backline. Leadership isn’t a strong point at our club

Looked ok against McKay this year. I think he goes ok and I like that he speaks up when there is issues in the backline. Leadership isn’t a strong point at our club
Yeah I think he's a pretty solid player. Has some good weapons and agree that his vocalness is something we lack. Areas for improvement but not alone there.

Nasiah is going to surprise people again this year. Had been a little forgotten in the excitement of our inside mid haul and by how quickly he was already decently at the level last year. His skills can only get better and his body will be stronger this year. I reckon breakout year for him over anyone else. At least 3-4 times a match he’ll do something breathtaking
i think people haven't forgotten him, i think people think he is gong home and dont want our hearts broken if he is really good this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back