Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Concerned that so many players are on light duties/injured.

Was hoping we would enter this season will the majority of players cherry ripe.

On the bright side, will give opportunities to others.
Yes, it seems like player availability at the moment is quite poor given the time of year. It has probably gone under the radar given all the hype around Ross and co.

Just went to training for about 2 hours, few rough notes in my phone:

• Matt Allison in this 13v13 match sim looking like an actual key forward wow. Pretty poor around the ground early on and got caught holding the ball a LOT, however kicked a few very nice snags from strong pack marks in the sim!!
  • Byrnes very good had a lot of the ball, looked pretty involved all session. Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a game
  • Matteus just has this look about him that he takes this s**t so seriously. Will be a player in time. Kicked a few goals and did some awesome kicks through the middle
  • Windy is shredded, Michito is a *ing unit (I think we’ll see Owens up forward more than anywhere else)
  • Mason wood playing as a midfielder this year it seems, very underrated player. Looks awesome
  • Josh Eyre nice big kick on him, holds up the play too much with slow decision making imo but looks a good size
  • I don’t wanna see Cordy play a game for us this year
  • Steeley definitely looks proppy. Looks no good at all (had the fleuro hat on)
  • Injured/Light group consisted of Battle, Hayes, Gresh, Adams, McLennan, Billings, DMAC,
  • King, Jones, Keeler, Coff, Leo, Campbell didn’t train
  • Big Paddy Ryder and Dean Kent came down to say hello to the lads
  • I noticed a few players brought up some little hamstring niggles at the end to the fitness team
  • Iced Oat Latte went down a treat accompanied by a fresh longsleeve home guernsey.
You had me at 'Iced oat latte' 😊

Some of my impressions:
  • Wanganeen is sexual off a HBF. Reads the play well, nice height to help intercept and then that composure and leg!! Toot tooot!
  • Owens involved so much up forward. Needs to stick some marks, but gee he moves well and competes so hard.
  • I was impressed with Peris playing a high HF type role. Involved quite a lot just through running hard, but seemed to be reading the play well.
  • Pou got on the end of some nice passages for lead ups and goals. It was nice to see how naturally he positioned himself and not something we seem to have ever done well as a group (that easy, really short hit up kick into 50).
  • Sharman looking bigger and another that naturally leads up well and nice hands.
  • Hill looking as fit as I’ve seen.
  • Whole midfield has so much more depth.
  • At one point early on, Peris did a no look handball that hit the deck and RTB didn’t take any s**t and made them re-do.

Could be a fun team to watch this year.

Did you end up getting sunburnt?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went down to training today. I will post observations tomorrow.

Matt Allison did look good today during the 13 v 13 drill. More so at the start. Two good marks followed up by kicking the goal. Important to note his direct opponent was James Van Es.
At least he has shown more in the sim than the last couple years.

At least he has shown more in the sim than the last couple years.
You do realise this "match sim" they are talking about, where Allison took two huge contested pack marks and then converted both to goals from tight angles and at some distance was in reality an AI sim that the boffins were running in the "game plan department" on a high end laptop, right ? Pretty sure they use MacBook Pros.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back