Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope JOM isn’t another Stuart Anderson. For anyone who was following us back then will remember he was a highly regarded, big bodied type, who in some respects played a bit like JOM. He did barely anything here and retired during his 2nd season with us.

Just remember being so excited when we picked him up.

I must have missed that player

I'm a foundation member and I don't have a clue

Hope JOM isn’t another Stuart Anderson. For anyone who was following us back then will remember he was a highly regarded, big bodied type, who in some respects played a bit like JOM. He did barely anything here and retired during his 2nd season with us.

Just remember being so excited when we picked him up.
Had to look this guy up - I don't think he's in the same footballing neighbourhood as JOM (he had a good couple of seasons in a champion side). Anyways, he's a cousin of Wil Anderson who I can't stand.

He was, but Neesham was also devastated that the club traded Winnie away to get Anderson so he (Neesham) took it out on Anderson. The whole thing was a disaster! List manager to blame.
It pains me to think that this wasn’t even close to our worst recruiting blunder either!

A couple of Freo players on the turps in night clubs over the weekend. Before anyone is alarmed they didn't appear drunk, and I'm an advocate of personal freedoms to the individual. I do hope, however, they understand just how long we have suffered without a premiership as diehard supporters and just how amazing it would be to win one.

A good indicator is to compare Treacy to Tabs. Both came via the rookie drafts.
Tabs height and size was always going to trouble defenders but in the earlier days
his kicking, decision making was always suspect.
His determination and hard work eventually paid off to be a serviceable player.
Some days Tabs looks like that aggressive tall target, others he is easily held.
He is an enigma, and then there is his durability.

Treacy is that aggressive tall, can kick goals easily from outside 50, and has a footy
a brain.
Going by trajectories he is already ahead of Tabs at the same age.
A combo of Amiss, Treacy and Jackson, players that can read the play and
Have different leading patterns, style. I believe can lift us into a genuine top
4 team.

I think a better indicator is to compare him to someone taken in his own draft - the dude taken at #2.

The level of output between Riley Thilthorpe who was the first live pick and Josh Treacy is minimal. Whilst Thilthorpe has kicked 5 in one game at AFL level and Treacy hasn't done yet - in almost every other measure they're tracking very similarly indeed I'd say.

Other than draft position I believe another difference is how well they're being used at the top level and how they've been developed below that and I think we have hurt our guy in that respect in how we use him and how we treat him at the selection table.

Treacy is developing just fine in my opinion, in fact better than OK. He's WAY ahead of Tabs at the same time in his career. I'd argue he's pretty close to Hawkins at the same point given the respective levels of the teams and support around them at the same stage.

Other than draft position I believe another difference is how well they're being used at the top level and how they've been developed below that and I think we have hurt our guy in that respect in how we use him and how we treat him at the selection table.
How do you think we have 'hurt our guy'? He has had illness to deal with. Personally I don't mind some wafl time for the big guys, but Treacy different seem ready.

Would it be possible that we fast track a forward line with Amiss and Treacy as the pillars (suplimented with Jackson) at the expense of Taberner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought at the time Anderson was going to be really good for us. Then a few weeks later I met up with a mate in Melbourne who was and remains a close friend of Corey McKernan. Over a beer I asked Corey if Anderson could play (North were dam good at the time, this was pre Carey's toilet shenanigans and when Corey was still very good).

He baulked a bit but when I pushed him a bit he said "if he could play, we wouldn't have flicked him". He then went on to say what a top bloke he was etc but it was clear he didn't think too highly of Mr Anderson as a player.

I thought at the time Anderson was going to be really good for us. Then a few weeks later I met up with a mate in Melbourne who was and remains a close friend of Corey McKernan. Over a beer I asked Corey if Anderson could play (North were dam good at the time, this was pre Carey's toilet shenanigans and when Corey was still very good).

He baulked a bit but when I pushed him a bit he said "if he could play, we wouldn't have flicked him". He then went on to say what a top bloke he was etc but it was clear he didn't think too highly of Mr Anderson as a player.
Not shocked. Bit hard to ridicule GCSs with a straight face really. But the wheel turns.

How do you think we have 'hurt our guy'? He has had illness to deal with. Personally I don't mind some wafl time for the big guys, but Treacy different seem ready.

Would it be possible that we fast track a forward line with Amiss and Treacy as the pillars (suplimented with Jackson) at the expense of Taberner?

I agree with you completely about giving the big guys time at the lower levels but I think we've played with his form and confidence a bit. We've not done Josh a heap of favours or shown a lot of faith. Given how patient we've been with others who clearly have only a fraction of the ability to impact us as Josh, I would've hoped for some more faith in him. Especially after Longmuir declares he wants to go with 3 talls up front but then doesn't give it a go for any decent period once the season starts.

This is where Thilthorpe benefits from his draft status and I think Treacy gets negatively impacted, how carefully we treat him..

The game he played this year against Geelong h was really good I thought in competing really hard all day . What was clear at that ground (I was lucky enough to watch in person that day) and wasn't so evident on the TV coverage I watched later was how often he was in a really good spot with a jump on his man and our guys went to a contest or a poorer option...or missed him completely which I remember BOG Acres and Colyer did multiple times each. My mate and I were going bonkers at it.

He was pretty good again against North and then played poorly in the disaster in the rain against Gold Coast and then was gone the next week when they bought Tabs straight back in, in the wet, against the Pies. JL states around this time we're not playing Sturt because of a lack of intensity and yet we drop the big, young guy on the team who shows more of it than almost anyone and bring back Tabs who even at his best has very little of it. I get why but at the same time thought we dropped him a little too quickly.

I'd have hoped the coaching staff would give him a run the next week after the GC game but they didn't back him and sent him down instead. Instead of giving him a shot of confidence we knocked some out of him. He responded well which is great but he got injured soon after which was a shame as he played very well at Peel for a week or so before the injury from memory.

Personally, next year I start with Tabs in there and probably rotate Treacy or Amiss next to him and Jackson early on. Treacy has the physique to handle a full year at AFL now I think whereas we should be careful with Jye for a while. However, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if by the end of the year Tabs is at Peel and we rock with Amiss, Treacy and Jackson. If Tabs is back to his fittest and best then happy days, but he's been that dude for 1 year in his career. He's not a lock in my B22.

A couple of Freo players on the turps in night clubs over the weekend. Before anyone is alarmed they didn't appear drunk, and I'm an advocate of personal freedoms to the individual. I do hope, however, they understand just how long we have suffered without a premiership as diehard supporters and just how amazing it would be to win one.
Gee I am so glad you allow them to have a life of their own when on holidays.:cool::cool::cool:

I agree with you completely about giving the big guys time at the lower levels but I think we've played with his form and confidence a bit. We've not done Josh a heap of favours or shown a lot of faith. Given how patient we've been with others who clearly have only a fraction of the ability to impact us as Josh, I would've hoped for some more faith in him. Especially after Longmuir declares he wants to go with 3 talls up front but then doesn't give it a go for any decent period once the season starts.

This is where Thilthorpe benefits from his draft status and I think Treacy gets negatively impacted, how carefully we treat him..

The game he played this year against Geelong h was really good I thought in competing really hard all day . What was clear at that ground (I was lucky enough to watch in person that day) and wasn't so evident on the TV coverage I watched later was how often he was in a really good spot with a jump on his man and our guys went to a contest or a poorer option...or missed him completely which I remember BOG Acres and Colyer did multiple times each. My mate and I were going bonkers at it.

He was pretty good again against North and then played poorly in the disaster in the rain against Gold Coast and then was gone the next week when they bought Tabs straight back in, in the wet, against the Pies. JL states around this time we're not playing Sturt because of a lack of intensity and yet we drop the big, young guy on the team who shows more of it than almost anyone and bring back Tabs who even at his best has very little of it. I get why but at the same time thought we dropped him a little too quickly.

I'd have hoped the coaching staff would give him a run the next week after the GC game but they didn't back him and sent him down instead. Instead of giving him a shot of confidence we knocked some out of him. He responded well which is great but he got injured soon after which was a shame as he played very well at Peel for a week or so before the injury from memory.

Personally, next year I start with Tabs in there and probably rotate Treacy or Amiss next to him and Jackson early on. Treacy has the physique to handle a full year at AFL now I think whereas we should be careful with Jye for a while. However, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if by the end of the year Tabs is at Peel and we rock with Amiss, Treacy and Jackson. If Tabs is back to his fittest and best then happy days, but he's been that dude for 1 year in his career. He's not a lock in my B22.
I agree that Treacy's development has been tracking fine, and he's shown some good signs in the WAFL.
I also would have liked to have seen him get some more opportunity, although injury played its part in that being limited.

Comparing Treacy to Thilthorpe and Hawkins is a bit misleading though, physically speaking (height / power) he is nowhere near them and therefore you'd expect his potential role to be more limited.
And if Tabs is fit he's so far ahead of the rest of our key forwards that it isn't funny, although who knows how Jye will come on.

You wonder how bad we were at many of these points in the past. I’d hope we are pretty good in all now but you can never be complacent

You wonder how bad we were at many of these points in the past. I’d hope we are pretty good in all now but you can never be complacent

Egos are probably bigger in basketball but you are dealing with what 15 people in a squad? Compared to 40 plus in an AFL team, half of whom won't be playing each week. Makes it a rougher challenge.

I must have missed that player

I'm a foundation member and I don't have a clue
Typical Freo infatuation of a player that played a role in a great team - North.
He was good at North because he had so many great players around him, bog average player when taken away from that system and structure

I don't see an easy line up of 3 tall forward for us for a variety of reasons.

Taberner injury prone
Amiss not physically quite ready
Jackson not a real/full-time forward
Corbett and Sturt not KPF size
Fyfe injured and unconvincing

Treacy looks solid against that backdrop. Almost a cornerstone.

I'd lock in Treacy and Jackson, and hope for Taberner. If Amiss is ready I'd give him every possible game, perhaps using Jackson in a different role. I don't realistically expect availability from all.

We have a fascinating couple of years ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back