Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Add in Carlton who get more credit for missing finals than we do for winning one and we're well under the radar.

Even though its tempting (especially for the Tigers et al) to think that 28 is the new 25, I reckon the 2022 Cats will prove to be the exception that sees many teams hang on with ancient lists 5 years longer than they should.
There really should be more discussion / spotlight on the fact a club with an AA squad full back, brownlow medallist and the last 2 Coleman medal winners (and two different winners at that) couldnt make finals...

There really should be more discussion / spotlight on the fact a club with an AA squad full back, brownlow medallist and the last 2 Coleman medal winners (and two different winners at that) couldnt make finals...
I think Voss isn't very good or at least not very good yet.

Teague was terrible and Bolton wasn't given enough time (at least that dude stuck to the plan). Suspect he wasn't good but he was still playing Dow so who knows?

Injuries is what they wheel out for missing but the fact remains, they had multiple chances to lock finals in the last few weeks and bottled every single one of them. Some of that might be on the losing mentality of the players (I laugh that Cripps hasn't played a final) but I reckon a fair bit comes on Voss who should know how to win from his playing days. That had nothing to do with injuries, they had the players to do it and couldn't get it done.

Thanks mate, it's been awesome to see some less active accounts come on here to either read or post training reports.

Just on Scaife, he was in the last draft and we passed on him to take Draper and Williams instead. Hope the kid has a big year at WAFL and gives himself a shot at being drafted somewhere
Maybe I have the wrong guy he wore 10 for grey team. Was solid in drills with a couple of errors but looked like a really good size with great speed.

The Freo communications guys said they thought he was AFL academy current draft age but didn’t know the name. I put two and two together from names mentioned in other posts and maybe got 7 😛

Maybe I have the wrong guy he wore 10 for grey team. Was solid in drills with a couple of errors but looked like a really good size with great speed.

The Freo communications guys said they thought he was AFL academy current draft age but didn’t know the name. I put two and two together from names mentioned in other posts and maybe got 7 😛
Nah, he has been in some match sims with us for training, you were probably right, same as Polson and others

and that they went zip and 4 to miss it

Wobbly Punt said, in his weirdly comprehensive and amazing training report:

"There was a brute of a kid in the mids too who I can’t name. Not because I forgot but because I don’t know him. He was 21 purple to start and ended up in grey (40 I think). Massive midfielder. Made JOM look small and Fyfe look average sized and I am not putting mayo on that, he’s tall and big for a mid. Skills a bit off but my god he’s a physical presence and showed plenty of aggro. Went at Aish, Brodie, JOM and even Darcy around stoppages that I saw. By that I mean hitting their arms and aggressively pushing them away from him as though spoiling for a fight. No idea who he is but if he makes a list, he’ll leave a mark on someone."

Then Wee Jessies identified the mystery man:

"21 for purple was Luke Polson. He had good moments."

So then I got metaphorically hot in the pants. He's 194 cm tall and built like a brick shithouse. If he wants to be killing people, like having a crack at Bubba Darcy, FFS, I say we get him in and get him killing people for us.

I think Voss isn't very good or at least not very good yet.

Teague was terrible and Bolton wasn't given enough time (at least that dude stuck to the plan). Suspect he wasn't good but he was still playing Dow so who knows?

Injuries is what they wheel out for missing but the fact remains, they had multiple chances to lock finals in the last few weeks and bottled every single one of them. Some of that might be on the losing mentality of the players (I laugh that Cripps hasn't played a final) but I reckon a fair bit comes on Voss who should know how to win from his playing days. That had nothing to do with injuries, they had the players to do it and couldn't get it done.
Only the inner sanctum knows if its the coaches / on field leaders or both. Try to spot up a target in the last minute of the Collingwood game instead of just going for a point was terrible foot smarts from all involved.

Leadership is definitely lacking at Carlton and I'm not sure if is something they will just flick the switch with any time soon.

F*****g beautiful!!

What an absolutely perfect way to get more games into all of our young and promising list.

Why the f**K did we not do this sooner?! 🤷🏻🤷🏻

They're only able to do it because of the high fitness levels of the players due to all the work they've put in "after hours". That's never happened in the past.

Mah guy is bac
  • Big contest on the 50, Fyfe gets a fsist that spills to Freddy who hits a 20m kick across the arc to Walters who finds Tabs in the pocket for a snap on the right a goal
Jesus Snuffy...

After reading that, I feel like lying back, having a smoke in bed and bathing in the post-coitial glow.

And I don't even smoke!!!

(...unless of course if it's been a while, and I've forgotten to apply the lube... then I can smoke like a chimney.)

Thanks mate, it's been awesome to see some less active accounts come on here to either read or post training reports.

Just on Scaife, he was in the last draft and we passed on him to take Draper and Williams instead. Hope the kid has a big year at WAFL and gives himself a shot at being drafted somewhere
We could still add him instead of Serong or Stubbs couldn't we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With us inviting Scaife to training, it seems like we aren't committed to either Stubbs or Serong Jr.

Interested to see if we pick up anyone at all. Or if we give those 3 lads some direction and areas to improve in and hold over a list spot for the MSD for whoever impressed the most in the state leagues.

Sadly, last weds was the last session I'll be able to attend this pre season. Trading in the shift work for Mon-Fri life starting next week; family and friends, my overall health and being able to attend all of the games the biggest winners here, BF the biggest loser.

God, I'm pumped for the regular season based off what I've seen!

With us inviting Scaife to training, it seems like we aren't committed to either Stubbs or Serong Jr.

Interested to see if we pick up anyone at all. Or if we give those 3 lads some direction and areas to improve in and hold over a list spot for the MSD for whoever impressed the most in the state leagues.
More than likely Scaife is just there for filling numbers in the match sims, Chase Bourne was doing that before, as was Tamate Oakley (Who's 2023 eligible), so we may just be allowed to invite NGA players for match sims whenever we feel like it

Polson has a turning circle that sadly reminds me of Q Lynch. Like the titanic trying to avoid an iceberg. He is a big boy and goes hard. Hopefully see him playing more seniors for Peel. Zero chance he finds his way onto an AFL list. At least from what I’ve seen.

The Freo communications guys said they thought he was AFL academy current draft age but didn’t know the name. I put two and two together from names mentioned in other posts and maybe got 7
It was probably Curtin if he was playing in defence on Fyfe and Freddy.

Only been to the last Wednesday session but Chappy wasn’t sighted much by me.

In the drills he looked a bit off the pace as others have said. He started on Fyfe in the practice match and was really strong defensively but not so good once ball hit ground. Could be some second year blues (only 15 games across two years) or coming back from injury.

My additional 2 cents to the comprehensive reports.

Sean Darcy was immense. Will be number 1 ruck in the league this year. Reidy competed really well but Darcy was playing on another level. I think Jackson and Sean can be an amazing combo and very excited.

I think we all loved Fyfe’s humility this year in passing the baton in the midfield but I hope he goes hulk Fyfe. As mentioned he just built through the scratch match and started to dominate old Fyfe style.

I agree about Walters looking as sharp as old days hopefully they manage his load. Personally I think after 30 the odd interstate game should be skipped.

I am in the Henry looked good camp especially that first half when teams were even.

I had Ras well ahead of Johnson who looked a bit off and missed a lot of disposals and tackles.

Agree JOM looked awesome.

One thing that people will need to get heads around is that we clearly value the less visible things like positioning and work rate. As mentioned JT got himself into really strong positions to influence plays defensively. This will prevent us going too young I feel at selection unless there is clear trust. It means vets like Colyer and Banfield who had some really good moments come into play. I can see the kids having to bide their time early doors. Need to be patient until players hit 50 games.

One last thing is that the Academy kid Jasper Scaife? Looked amazing. Played on Fyfe and held his own and ran down Freddy with a small start. Think he will go early draft.

21 for purple was Luke Polson. He had good moments. I can see the love for Stubbs but wasn’t as prominent as other sessions.

NOD looked good when he got it. A lot of ying and Yang really for other players. Every time I thought I would sing praises they had poor patches.

Elite kicks of the day was Walters Schulz and Young.

Anyway like others have said just my view of the world.
Thanks for the Chappy update. I really think he's got a great skill set for our backline. I think Clark and Young will be solid, but I'm hoping Chaps can be the formidable third HB to set the wall and break lines this year. He's allowed a bad year after his incredible production from his meager 15 games. But, I hope he can take a step forward or at least maintain things for this year. I haven't heard much from the reports, so thanks for the insight!

They're only able to do it because of the high fitness levels of the players due to all the work they've put in "after hours". That's never happened in the past.
I wonder if they're going too hard this preseason and we see a drop off late in the season? No way to know until it happens. Fingers crossed JL and the S&C team know what they're doing.

I wonder if they're going too hard this preseason and we see a drop off late in the season? No way to know until it happens. Fingers crossed JL and the S&C team know what they're doing.
I like it. They regularly stop the sims and provide feedback and also when skills were bad stopped and ran some skill drills before resuming.

Players have their availability managed and then complete individual programs when not in the Sims.

They obviously spent time over previous pre-seasons learning game plan and then refining it preChristmas. Now it is practice practice practice

I think this is a legitimate concern but like all of us I think the coaches have looked at the fixture and realised we have to make hay whilst the sun shines in the first six rounds and bank points. We can't afford a slow build into the season. I assume that's why we're training with such intensity this early. As you say it will have to be managed so we're not a spent force in September

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back