Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Your point is taken but growth is rarely linear. I didn’t really mean a “bad” year. I meant a year in which he didn’t take a big step up. It happens. Sophomore slump. An off year. Whatever. Dude just turned 21 on Jan 31st and has got 15 games under his belt. He’ll be a great player for us but it ain’t the end of the world if he has a down year.
Chapman is surrounded by the best backline in the league which is awesome support. I don't think he will have a bad year, but my point, across the lines, is that I hope the coaches are prepared to use our depth. Nothing wrong with getting some confidence back at Peel if needed.

Chapman is surrounded by the best backline in the league which is awesome support. I don't think he will have a bad year, but my point, across the lines, is that I hope the coaches are prepared to use our depth. Nothing wrong with getting some confidence back at Peel if needed.
Chapman has been described in very glowing terms by training watchers so far this preseason bar one or two match simulation sessions after he had come back from a slight injury that robbed him of some touch for a couple of weeks. I think he'll be an absolute gun next season.

Chapman has been described in very glowing terms by training watchers so far this preseason bar one or two match simulation sessions after he had come back from a slight injury that robbed him of some touch for a couple of weeks. I think he'll be an absolute gun next season.
Thanks! I just must have missed it. Seen a lot of praise for Cox and Young but not Chappy.

Thanks! I just must have missed it. Seen a lot of praise for Cox and Young but not Chappy.
I thought same as you. Young seems to be smashing it. Cox managing a niggle.

Last match sim Chapman seemed to play on Fyfe which is an excellent preseason challenge. We need Chapman to have the capacity to play on KPF when required.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me more…. Is it on YouTube? How would I watch it?
Good question, I could give you access to my Aus sport account (Kayo) but you might need a vpn to make it work. PM if your keen and want to take it further

Thank you, Thank you to all the railbirds out there delivering the PS training reports. Gotta be the best on all of BF.

If you guys get a chance, I’d love a report on Chappy. He’s been barely mentioned so far. Maybe it’s because Youngy is stealing the show, but I’d appreciate a little update on the boy with the golden fist!

Keep up the good work!

Chapman has been fine to my eye. He's not standing out like some but for me personally that could be because I'm a huge fan of the kid and he's doing what I'd expect from him. In addition to that, for 50% of the training I've got down too he was on modified work so wasn't with the main group.

I think I mentioned in 1 of the posts from training I did that he was working with the mids in a clearance drill and was delivering the ball really well in that. I remember being interested to see him working out with the mids and really positive about his delivery despite what I think is an awkward looking kicking style. I'm glad noone played around with his kicking action because although awkward (to me) it is very effective. It's particularly effective going inside 50 as the fact he exaggerates getting his head over the ball means the low passes in to a target are more easily achieved. In that clearance drill, and again in the sim last time I was there he had some very good moments. Unless he moves up the ground (which I hope happens) he's the guy I see putting pressure on Luke Ryan as his career hits the back end.

He's back at full rip now and, assuming he lost a little ground when on the modified work, he'll start to come back in to his own level this week and next.

Last edited:
Tackling work

Thanks for this. Can't access full text but I've long wanted Freo to improve tackling. Apart from a very few such as Sonny, Brayshaw, also Frederick & Switta our boys' ineffective tackles have been frustrating for years. Great to think improvements are on the horizon to add to the other areas they've lifted in.

Chapman has been fine to my eye. He's not standing out like some but for me personally that could be because I'm a huge fan of the kid and he's doing what I'd expect from him. In addition to that, for 50% of the training I've got down too he was on modified work so wasn't with the main group.

I think I mentioned in 1 of the posts from training I did that he was working with the mids in a clearance drill and was delivering the ball really well in that. I remember being interested to see him working out with the mids and really positive about his delivery despite what I think is an awkward looking kicking style. I'm glad noone played around with his kicking action because although awkward (to me) it is very effective. It's particularly effective going inside 50 as the fact he exaggerates getting his head over the ball means the low passes in to a target are more easily achieved. In that clearance drill, and again in the sim last time I was there he had some very good moments. Unless he moves up the ground (which I hope happens) he's the guy I see putting pressure on Luke Ryan as his career hits the back end.

He's back at full rip now and, assuming he lost a little ground when on the modified work, he'll start to come back in to his own level this week and next.

I agree with Wobbles from what I have seen so far at training re Chapman

I personally think he's just slightly behind others and will catch up soon due to the weeks he just ran laps

Thanks for this. Can't access full text but I've long wanted Freo to improve tackling. Apart from a very few such as Sonny, Brayshaw, also Frederick & Switta our boys' ineffective tackles have been frustrating for years. Great to think improvements are on the horizon to add to the other areas they've lifted in.
so true, slipped my mind how utterly shit we were at tackling for a while, hopefully it was more to do with being a young side rather than some inability to stick a tackle

I agree with Wobbles from what I have seen so far at training re Chapman

I personally think he's just slightly behind others and will catch up soon due to the weeks he just ran laps
I have touched a nerve 😄

Love Chappy and hope he kills it. Just didn’t seem to have same level of involvement in the sim as during games last year. Was a key link in many possession chains.

I have seen one session where others have seen many so will defer to those more informed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back