Women's Footy 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Richmond Thursday 19th September 7:15PM @ IKON Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost it at the selection table.

Surely they looked at the forecast and could have left out one of the talls and played a extra runner like Durrsma or Velardo
Agree we’re playing too tall. Both forward and back.

We only have a few days between our next two games (Wed night at IKON, then off to Alberton on Sun arvo), so with Kez possibly out for both I imagine at least one of Velardo or Duursma will come in anyway.

Short turnaround means we may have to rest/rotate some as well.

Our side is physical and our midfield vastly improved. Our forward connection is non-existent.

We did play way too tall in this game. Celine Moody is completely lost out there. Playing those 3 talls has also seen Bri struggling massively. I'd drop Celine for the next game.

A wet game with a heavy ball and we still tried to run and handball too much. One play coming out of our own defensive 50, Mimi Hill received the ball, put the brakes on so her opponent sailed past and left her in space, but then looked for a handball to a teammate who had two players hot on her heels. Turnover. The lack of footy smarts does affect this team a fair bit.

We had a bouncing ball about 60m out from the Tigers goal. It goes to Jess Good, who taps it 10m towards the Tigers goal to 3 Tigers gathered on the 50m. Fortunately, the other players around the contest closed the gap and shut it down, but I do feel we do things indiscriminately.

We have to know when it is better to get the ball in the area, rather than disposing backwards or sideways. At least a hack kick forward buys you time.

I don't know what we do about our scoring. Austin, Moody, Brown, Skepper half the time. It's not a lot.

Kudos again to Maddie Guerin. I sung her praises waiting for her to recover and she hasn't let me down. She's smart, she's tough. I'd make her captain personally. At least I hope McKay takes the mantle while Peterson is out.

A bit sensitive. Can't expect everyone to know these days who is wanted to be called what. It's called AFLW so perhaps not to offend we should remove the W for women so as not to offend and find a different word to appease.

World has gone loopy.
I'm not being sensitive, I'm just asking for a little respect to be shown on both fronts. Happy to accept people not remembering, but I think there are a few people who manage to keep repeating the error.

Your analogy falls apart at the most basic test - and the fundamental concept of gender fluidity and non-binary - which is the separation of sex and gender. Darcy was born female, but doesn't feel like they really fall within the gender norms of a woman, and wants to present and express that through being non-binary.

If you can accept the notions of homosexual and transgender individuals having - bare minimum - a healthy neuroanatomical difference that sees their expression of sexuality and/or gender naturally drift far from the norm, surely there's room for people who identify differently again within those spectrums of sexuality and gender?

This isn't my wheelhouse at all, but I think that's a reasonable thing to understand and try to respect, rather than to label people as precious for trying to - pardon the pun - engender a more educated and civilised view.

Let's make a little room for people to find their peace.

I'm not being sensitive, I'm just asking for a little respect to be shown on both fronts. Happy to accept people not remembering, but I think there are a few people who manage to keep repeating the error.

Your analogy falls apart at the most basic test - and the fundamental concept of gender fluidity and non-binary - which is the separation of sex and gender. Darcy was born female, but doesn't feel like they really fall within the gender norms of a woman, and wants to present and express that through being non-binary.

If you can accept the notions of homosexual and transgender individuals having - bare minimum - a healthy neuroanatomical difference that sees their expression of sexuality and/or gender naturally drift far from the norm, surely there's room for people who identify differently again within those spectrums of sexuality and gender?

This isn't my wheelhouse at all, but I think that's a reasonable thing to understand and try to respect, rather than to label people as precious for trying to - pardon the pun - engender a more educated and civilised view.

Let's make a little room for people to find their peace.
As well intentioned as this post is, if it's the go-to response, then I feel it just creates an extra barrier for the average punter.

The only reason I know Darce prefers they, is because of these forums and because they play for Carlton.

Are there other players who prefer they? I don't know, nor is it something I think about.

If I'm going to cop a lecture while talking about football or see one directed at someone who's just made a mistake, then I'm going to stop talking about it and caring about it pretty quickly. Especially for an older generation.

AFLW isn't a great product. It's not the (generally) free flowing game that AFL is. The lure of the game simply isn't there. How often do you watch an AFLW game that doesn't involve Carlton?

It's difficult for most people who don't have a stake in either side playing sit and watch a whole game, let alone watch every game in a weekend. Supporters of teams might watch some games but most generally don't. As such, most people aren't going to know most players.

These mistakes are going to happen. Let's face it, they are (generally) mistakes. If a lecturing tone is taken too often (yes, the irony) it's going turn people off something they already don't care that much about.

It also shifts focus of the discussion away from football and onto the player's gender rather than their football. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

It's AFLW and as such it's reasonable to assume that most people would call most players she.

If a correction needs to be made a simple "Darce prefers they" would suffice and help get the discussion back to football. Which is why we're here.

Last edited:
As well intentioned as this post is, if it's the go-to response, then I feel it just creates an extra barrier for the average punter.

The only reason I know Darce prefers they, is because of these forums and because they play for Carlton.

Are there other players who prefer they? I don't know, nor is it something I think about.

If I'm going to cop a lecture while talking about football or see one directed at someone who's just made a mistake, then I'm going to stop talking about it and caring about it pretty quickly. Especially for an older generation.

AFLW isn't a great product. It's not the (generally) free flowing game that AFL is. The lure of the game simply isn't there. How often do you watch an AFLW game that doesn't involve Carlton?

It's difficult for most people who don't have a stake in either side playing sit and watch a whole game, let alone watch every game in a weekend. Supporters of teams might watch some games but most generally don't. As such, most people aren't going to know most players.

These mistakes are going to happen. Let's face it, they are (generally) mistakes. If a lecturing tone is taken too often (yes, the irony) it's going turn people off something they already don't care that much about.

It also shifts focus of the discussion away from football and onto the player's gender rather than their football. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

It's AFLW and as such it's reasonable to assume that most people would call most players she.

If a correction needs to be made a simple "Darce prefers they" would suffice and help get the discussion back to football. Which is why we're here.
The English language allows for he or she, they is plural. Try to fit in somewhere, thx

I know this isn't the thread for it, but I wish there was a word in the English language we could use or even invent instead of "they" for NBs. I just can't with they, I mean for respect when I have to I've used it, but it feels and reads incredibly clunky. And confuses a lot of people.

I know this isn't the thread for it, but I wish there was a word in the English language we could use or even invent instead of "they" for NBs. I just can't with they, I mean for respect when I have to I've used it, but it feels and reads incredibly clunky. And confuses a lot of people.
the use of 'they' as a singular descriptor in written english goes back to the 1370s.

I also find it clunky but I prefer to to support choice, it means nothing to me but knowing a few people who are non-binary it means a lot to them.

There's been 4 total that I can find info on, but the only other current non-binary player is apparently Tilly Lucas-Rodd.
That's exactly what happened, but I was also pointing out that they were calling Darcy old. The 'lecture' came after a further prompt.

I thought it was digestible and delineated things well, but I suppose I'm biased.

Remember these discussions also matter for the AFLM, and you can imagine there were/are players who have yet to come out.

they were calling Darcy old.
I thought it was digestible and delineated things well, but I suppose I'm biased.

Darce has been ineffective for a little while, other than a couple of flashes of brilliance here and there. Old? I'm not sure but their performance has swimmingly fallen off a cliff.

It was and did.

I wasn't really replying to that post in particular, but the totality of similar posts over the journey from various posters, not you in particular.

Yours just happened to be the one I replied to.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Richmond Thursday 19th September 7:15PM @ IKON Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back