Preview 2023 Round 10 – GWS Giants vs St Kilda, Sunday, May 21, 4.40PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The Giants' record of at least fighting out games to a minimal loss (even if not really in some games) came to an end in round 9 with a comprehensive defeat to ladder leaders Collingwood. They demonstrated how we'd like to play, and exposed our shortcomings in personnel, skills and gameplan. It did not help that our best forward (Toby Green) and best defender (Sam Taylor) were missing, but to be frank, we were probably beaten in every position on the ground except for perhaps Jesse Hogan as KPF. It's probably pointless to conduct an autopsy here, unlike previous weeks where there was hope to improve or tweak this or that and we might be more competitive next week, because we were well beaten in most facets of the game.

As I remarked in the round 9 autopsy thread, I believe that Kingsley has to make a number of changes to the team. Firstly, a number of players have been underperforming and need to reset after that effort. Secondly, there are players performing in VFL who deserve a chance to play firsts. Apart from that, I hope that two players missing through injury will return - Toby for his 199th game, and Isaac Cumming. The players under the gun for mine should be Cadman, Peatling, Lloyd, Brown and Whitfield. We do also need to consider our tall defence that despite Jack Buckley's best efforts is desperately missing Sam Taylor. However, I'm not sure that either Phil Davis (in his current physical condition) or Lachie Keeffe are the answer, nor that Cam Fleeton deserves to be dropped after his debut.

We also need to look at our gameplan. I've complained throughout the season that we don't put pressure on teams kicking in, and they just waltz upfield where we seem to only try to defend the kick inside 50. That utterly failed against Collingwood, where we put on our least pressure game for the year in one quarter, and allowed Collingwood to score as many goals from kick-ins as they have for the entire year to date.

These are my thoughts:

OUT: Cadman, Peatling, Lloyd, Brown, Whitfield
IN: Derksen, Greene, Ward, Cumming, Fahey

Haynes, Buckley, Idun
Cumming, Fleeton, Ash
Callaghan, Green, Angwin
Greene, Himmelberg, Daniels
Ward, Hogan, Bedford
Flynn, Coniglio, Kelly
IC: Fahey, Perryman, O'Halloran, Derksen

So, what do you think Kingsley should do to give us a chance to win the Saints game?

So, what do you think Kingsley should do to give us a chance to win the Saints game?
Aim a well placed kick up the backsides of whoever gets selected.

Seriously, I thought those sort of defeats were a thing of the past. From now on, it's pressure, pressure pressure. Tackle,tackle, tackle. Especially away from home.

Don't be afraid to drop names who aren't performing.

It's about time the club is totally upfront with the injury list.

Realistically, the Giants are not going to make the finals, so this secrecy (cowardice?), is a smack in the face to its members.

Yes, players go into a match with 'niggles', but we have already been told of players (e.g. Haynes) who really should have been rested, rather than going out and performing poorly.

I'd rather give a VFL player a crack who might perform as well as an injured first grade player, but without the risk of making an injury worse.

I’m not sure it’s a game plan issue but rather a defensive effort issue. The game plan looks like it can hurt teams but the pressure is sub standard. Of concern is the fact this is our fist choice midfield applying such dismal pressure

I’m not sure it’s a game plan issue but rather a defensive effort issue. The game plan looks like it can hurt teams but the pressure is sub standard. Of concern is the fact this is our fist choice midfield applying such dismal pressure
Is this all of Cogs, green, Kelly in your view?
Or mainly Cogs.

Is this all of Cogs, green, Kelly in your view?
Or mainly Cogs.
It’s all of them.

That pressure on Sunday wasn’t afl level. It’s oversimplifying the game to say it but it’s still true that they don’t work hard enough to get the ball back when they don’t have it.

Players like Sam Taylor covered up for it but now it’s clear. How many times did we lose the ball out the FRONT of the stoppage last week?! That’s criminal

Unlike the Collingwood game, I think it’s winnable if we play to our potential, and Toby comes back. Hopefully, Kingsley and his coaches have analysed our shortcomings from the Collingwood match, and have motivated our team to play well in front of our home crowd. The market has us as $2.18 underdogs (St Kilda is $1.69).

Our next game against Geelong in Geelong is an almost certain loss, so if we lose this game, we will be 3-8 at the halfway mark. This is the same record we had at this stage of our atrocious 2022 season, which saw us lose both Leon Cameron and Mark McVeigh. Adam has a contract with us till 2025 and he is rebuilding a new system, but he must be bitterly disappointed at our efforts on the weekend.

Hey Guys

Pardon the intrusion. I noticed Pruess was listed as 1 week on the injury report last week, but it seems he's back to TBC timeframe. Do any of you have any information on that?

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Guys

Pardon the intrusion. I noticed Pruess was listed as 1 week on the injury report last week, but it seems he's back to TBC timeframe. Do any of you have any information on that?

Cheers
post match interview Kingsley said he's still a few weeks off...

Surely some of these guys realise they have enough money already.
Annul the contract, become a free agent and get offered a pretty good deal from a Melbourne club that they can have a chance of winning a flag in 2024 to 2026.

The St Kilda game will be only the 4th time in history we have played them at Giants Stadium (we have played them 3 times at Manuka). We have a 2-1 record against them at Giants Stadium.

What will be interesting is what our crowd will be. Last time we played them at Giants Stadium in 2021, we only got a crowd of 5014. Whilst we will definitely get more than that this weekend, I hope we crack the 10,000 crowd. It is a winnable game with Toby back, and Kingsley and the team will be looking to bounce back after the Collingwood loss. The bad news is that Ross Lyons and the Saints will also want to bounce back after the Adelaide loss broke their great start to the season. It promises to be an enthralling spectacle, and I hope we get a good crowd to watch the game.

The St Kilda game will be only the 4th time in history we have played them at Giants Stadium (we have played them 3 times at Manuka). We have a 2-1 record against them at Giants Stadium.

What will be interesting is what our crowd will be. Last time we played them at Giants Stadium in 2021, we only got a crowd of 5014. Whilst we will definitely get more than that this weekend, I hope we crack the 10,000 crowd. It is a winnable game with Toby back, and Kingsley and the team will be looking to bounce back after the Collingwood loss. The bad news is that Ross Lyons and the Saints will also want to bounce back after the Adelaide loss broke their great start to the season. It promises to be an enthralling spectacle, and I hope we get a good crowd to watch the game.
Let’s be fairdinkum… We won’t get a good crowd. We’ve only won three games for the season… and last week the players only made 29 tackles. I barely feel like watching on tv let alone going to the ground.

Forecast at the moment is partly cloudy and 20 degrees. Winds up to 25km/hr.

So weather shouldn't be an excuse for a poor crowd.

Still, I think it's going to be 5000-7000.

Predicting 6108.

The 'draw-factor' is just not there at the moment with the Giants to get anywhere near 10000.

Fox’s speculation on our team line up against the Saints.

GIANTS skipper Toby Greene is set to be a welcome addition for his club’s clash against the Saints after missing the past two games due to an ankle injury.

Greene could come in for Toby Bedford, who’s been goalless in past two games, or one of the recent inclusions in Ryan Angwinor Cameron Fleeton.

First-round draftee Harry Rowston is a massive chance to come back into the side after a monster VFL game that saw him kick one goal from 33 disposals, a whopping 19 clearances and eight inside 50s.

The Giants could also make a change to their key forward mix. Aaron Cadman played a full AFL game against the Pies but finished goalless for the second straight week. In the VFL, Wade Derksen kicked five goals to push his case for a debut while Jake Riccardi booted two majors.

Isaac Cumming has been ruled out due to his calf injury, joining fellow defender Sam Taylor on the sidelines.

“I think (Cumming) is a significant absence for us; he can play tall, small, he provides that real offensive run, but he’s certainly very safe in defence,” coach Adam Kingsley said.

Callum Brown gets an opportunity, Cam Fleeton got his opportunity on the weekend … both those boys had their moments where they’ve been really strong and we see a glimpse into what they’re capable of.

“It looks more likely that Toby will play, so that’s good. He was really close on Sunday but he still has to get through training.”

Kingsley said it was a “neck and neck” race to see who gets the ruck mantle, with Braydon Preuss still absent.

“I think that battle has become neck and neck with Briggsy’s (Kieran Briggs) form, and Flynny (Matt Flynn) has been pretty strong for us over the course of the season, but there’s not much separating those two,” Kingsley said.

Greater Western Sydney v St Kilda at Giants Stadium, 4.40pm AEST

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
T.Greene, J.Riccardi, J.Fahey, K.Briggs
Out: C.Brown (omitted)

New: J.Fahey

Last week's sub: Callan Ward

Squad:

FB: Cameron Fleeton, Connor Idun, Nick Haynes

HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash

C: Finn Callaghan, Josh Kelly, Ryan Angwin

HF: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Toby Greene

FF: Aaron Cadman, Jesse Hogan, Toby Bedford

RR: Matt Flynn, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Harry Perryman, Xavier O’Halloran, Daniel Lloyd, Callan Ward, James Peatling, Jake Riccardi, Josh Fahey, Kieren Briggs

In: Toby Greene, Callan Ward, Jake Riccardi, Josh Fahey, Kieren Briggs

Out: Callum Brown (omitted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back