Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 14 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wings and half forward had way more run and creativity than we've had most of the year. Really enables us to take the game on differently and play the way Vossy wants them to
Yeah our half forward line has been weak. Addition of Martin last week improved to an extent. Cunners also in probably rounded out the half forward group nicely.

Kemp took 9 marks, most if not all intercept. Was just fantastic all game. Yes he’ll often be undersized, but he reads the ball so well off the boot. I’d rather his skills and awareness than Young’s height.

Best game by TDK all year - maybe all time. Can we keep him?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Kemp is 7th in the competition for average intercept marks per game. Let that sink in.

2024 backline will be tough.
I’d lock in Cincotta and kemp right now.

Don't think Dow could have done too much more with the opportunity presented him. Tackled hard, clearances, penetrating kicks I50.

Wish he had of gone for goal himself rather than handball to Sammy.

Not sure who makes way but I think he deserves a full game, particularly against the Hawks as it could do wonders for his confidence.

Great team effort. Dow full game next week. Just deserves it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can we stop lying to ourselves.

He's deserved it basically all year. If he's not starting with Hewett out of the team (a player everyone touted as blocking Dows position in the side) - it's clear Voss is never giving him a proper chance because at this point it'll only serve to embarrass the MC for leaving him out for so long.

Voss will be looking for the first chance to remove him from the sub position and have him rot out the year back in the VFL.

In my opinion the difference today was two things

A fitter team with a bit more skill and pace in general than we have been able to field in a long time.
And a team that has bonded around the idea of playing for each other and that stopped worrying so much about the result and focussed on the football for each minute of the match.

Didnt see any difference in style (or so called gameplan) except we kicked goals instead of points.
Amazing what a few goals will do.

A bit of pace and zip in the middle. Hewett and Kennedy are the same sort of players. Good readers of the ball and the way the play is setting up and get to the right places at the right time. Dow getting the ball out of congestion with a burst of pace or quick hands is what we really need in the centre. If he gets a full game and really turns it on, I reckon he keeps Hewett out of the side until Kennedy needs a rest.

3 consecutive games as sub for Dow.. next week he either has to start or be dropped back to the reserves to get a full game in. Agree he adds a different look to our midfield. We look better when only one of Kennedy or Hewett play and at the moment Kennedy is ahead. He’s able to rest forward and is a strong mark. Hewett has been battling the hand, concussion and a lack of form.

Don’t understand why it’s so hard to work out the correct midfield mix. Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy and Dow is the right mix and offers flexibility. When Dow is in the middle one of Kennedy or Cripps plays forward.

Cripps, Cerra, Dow- Walsh wing. Kennedy forward.

Kennedy, Cerra, Dow- Walsh wing. Cripps forward.

Cerra, Walsh, Dow- Cripps forward. Kennedy bench (or vice versa).

Cripps, Kennedy, Dow- Walsh wing. Cerra wing/half back.

Cripps, Cerra, Walsh- Kennedy forward. Dow bench.

Rotate the mids and keep them fresh.

Jack Martin with one of the great 8 touch 0 goal games. Had his fingerprints all over that first half

It's this type of impact we've lacked all year. Did it for half a quarter last week, a half today. If he can get up to three quarters after the bye we'll be a much more dangerous team.

Need more of these types on the list. It'll be what turns the page for us.

If we had the Three Amigos this year we'd be finals bound without doubt.

Yeah our half forward line has been weak. Addition of Martin last week improved to an extent. Cunners also in probably rounded out the half forward group nicely.

Enjoyed what Fog gave us today too. He's upgradeable but for now he's got a role to play. Handy depth.

If only Fisher could get back to his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to be back in the winners circle

You don't need to sack the president, coach/assistants, have 15 list changes, etc, to get a change of mindset

While scoring from centre bounces isn't sustainable, nice to strip it back to basics and play to our strengths, especially against a noted contested team

Cerra was huge, especially early, where he kept us in the game.

Cripps finished well, but he too looked to dish rather than taking players on

Kennedy got better as the game went on, vital to our setups

Walsh much better, just a little selfish late

Kemp, exactly what I want to see, ensure your man doesn't get the pill before looking at an intercept. Rather he has 10 spoils than 10 marks

The whole backline played well, even in the first qtr

Fog played his role, Martin dangerous, Cuners drifted, but the class is still there, just need to keep him in the game

Dow, thought he was very good when he came on. Looked to provide an option/release for teammates, paused to look for the best option when disposing

Pitto adjusted well and TDK was relentless but some maturity finally kicking in, rather than trying to take mark of the year

As a whole, this was a clear change of player intent, hunted in numbers, and largely selfless in providing team acts

Arrow Cripps dishing off well with a mix of taking on. He played a smart game and kicked Goals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds like our list is not so bad after all.

Loving the kemp played well story. I really like the way he goes about it. Like I said in preview thread he may make some mistakes but that’s got to be expected. He will get better. He will be a very good player imo.
Who'd a thunk confidence, fitter inside mids and better starting positions would work. Lotta talent there.

Quarter time it looked another long arvo, then we came out in the 2nd, totally dominated the middle, owned the corridor & smashed the Sunnyboys to bits.

Cerra is A grade, Kemp was fantastic & there’s probably 10 others having their best games for the year.

Tackle count was up, accuracy the same, back 6 looked far more organised.

Have to wonder where that’s been for the last 2 months.

Anyhoo, take it.

Don't think Dow could have done too much more with the opportunity presented him. Tackled hard, clearances, penetrating kicks I50.

Wish he had of gone for goal himself rather than handball to Sammy.

Not sure who makes way but I think he deserves a full game, particularly against the Hawks as it could do wonders for his confidence.
Agree. He needs it now. If he gets dropped for Hewett or Curnow he may not get back in. Deserves a full game to see if we can persevere. He may become undroppable if given the chance. Pumps up any value.

Right now it’s gotta be a 3rd round value but it could improve to a second if he can average 20-25 across some full games. His confidence from reserves games is super high. His kicking no longer has that bloke on his shoulder pressuring him.

In my opinion the difference today was two things

A fitter team with a bit more skill and pace in general than we have been able to field in a long time.
And a team that has bonded around the idea of playing for each other and that stopped worrying so much about the result and focussed on the football for each minute of the match.

Didnt see any difference in style (or so called gameplan) except we kicked goals instead of points.
Amazing what a few goals will do.
The whole stoppage setup was different including the way we were using the guys off the outside of the square. Instead of half forwards like Walsh running up to the stoppage to create an extra but have back to goal we ran from behind the stoppage forward with the extra. Was completely different and great to see. Suited Walsh and doch so much more.

Jack Martin with one of the great 8 touch 0 goal games. Had his fingerprints all over that first half

His class brought others. The others. 🧨

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Back