News 2023 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Their seedings are all over the place but it’s surprising that he didn’t get us in there considering how complimentary he’s been of us. I think it’s just going to take a long time for people to completely buy in after our start last year and the narrative that we don’t have enough talent.

Their seedings are all over the place but it’s surprising that he didn’t get us in there considering how complimentary he’s been of us. I think it’s just going to take a long time for people to completely buy in after our start last year and the narrative that we don’t have enough talent.

Waiting for 17-0 at round 17 and the media still being "I'm not sold on them for these reasons" despite being say 4 games clear on top. Can't wait for it, will be magical and I'll expect a blue ray of it from the club with circus sounds and such.

Gerard literally said last week “this is the one time I’ll have St Kilda in here” then literally the week after has us at 4 again

Pointless exercise

Pure Footy: Stats men David King and Daniel Hoyne on the big trends after round 4​

A remarkable stat about St Kilda’s defence under Ross Lyon has surfaced – and it even has Kangaroos great David King believing. Watch Pure Footy here.

Jordan Pinto
Follow

@jordanpint0

2 min read
April 11, 2023 - 6:14PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

0 comments

29:34
Pure Footy - episode 4 2023

David King and Daniel Hoyne take a look at the stats and trends from round four of the 2023 AFL season

Pure Footy

Don't miss out on the headlines from Pure Footy. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
St Kilda is doing a lot of things right under Ross Lyon, but it’s one stat in particular that has won over Fox Footy’s David King.
After being unable to find a top-four spot for the Saints in his power rankings on radio last week, the Kangaroos great is now convinced after Champion Data analyst Daniel Hoyne revealed some remarkable numbers on this week’s episode of Pure Footy.
In a stat Hoyne described as “unbelievable”, the Saints have lost just three of 23 contests in their defensive 50 this year, with Callum Wilkie, Dougal Howard and Josh Battle, in particular, proving very difficult to beat one-on-one.
“A lot of credit has gone to their runners, and rightly so, but that back six or seven is holding up significantly well under a bit of pressure at times,” Hoyne said.
“Their doing a lot right in terms of what they are doing without the footy, so hats off to them.”
WATCH THE FULL EPISODE OF PURE FOOTY ABOVE
St Kilda’s [PLAYERCARD]Callum Wilkie[/PLAYERCARD] has been a rock in defence. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

St Kilda’s Callum Wilkie has been a rock in defence. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
Fellow defender [PLAYERCARD]Josh Battle[/PLAYERCARD] marks strongly against the Suns. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Fellow defender Josh Battle marks strongly against the Suns. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images
With the Saints boasting four of the top 20 possessions winners in the defensive half - Brad Crouch, Jack Sinclair, Wilkie and Liam Stocker – their two-way running has been key to an unbeaten start to the year.
But what proves they could be the real deal in 2023 is what Lyon’s side is doing without the ball.

ST KILDA WITHOUT THE FOOTY IN 2023​

Opposition score per inside 50: 1st
Opposition D50 to inside 50: 1st
Midfield intercepts: 2nd
Pressure: 13th

“Other than Melbourne this year, there is no other team who has a better without-the-footy profile,” Hoyne said.

“That profile their stacks up and historically suggests that if that continues for the next four-to-five months, they are looking at finishing top six.”
Hoyne noted the Saints “still have a little bit of work to do with the footy if they are to get to that top-four marking”, but King is onboard.
“I’m now a believer,” he said.
“I’m coming around … I’d still like to see them do it against a good team and we get to see that in Gather Round this week against the Pies.”

More Coverage​

Crisp apologises as AFL makes call on sanctionsAFL makes statement as duo banned for dangerous tacklesSunday’s clash
The punters agree, with TAB’s Jaimee Rogers confirming they’ve taken five times more money on the Saints than Collingwood ahead of Sunday’s clash.
On another big episode, Hoyne and King also dive into Port Adelaide’s “strange” win over Sydney and reveal Richmond’s big problem, Christian Petracca’s hot start and the competition’s corridor kings.

AFL Round 5 teams and selection news​

The Saints could be given massive boost to their depleted forward line ahead of a crunch clash against Collingwood.

Jay ClarkJay Clark
Follow

@ClarkyHeraldSun

less than 2 min read
April 11, 2023 - 5:04PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

0 comments

HERALDSUN.COM.AU29:34

Pure Footy - episode 4 2023​

UP NEXT
  • 691a7533631047316bc8b33fb7a9b791

02:00
    Collingwood Magpies DOMINATE Port Adelaide for back-to-back wins

• d4a613142cbea4b9cc39067212b62d83

00:45
    POWER OUT as play suspended at the Gabba!

• 749bf20673465ef93c8905cb3866e571

02:13
    McDonald & Amartey star in massive win over Hawks

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

David King and Daniel Hoyne take a look at the stats and trends from round four of the 2023 AFL season

AFL News

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
St Kilda forward Tim Membrey will push to make his return against Collingwood in Adelaide on Sunday.
In a boost to the Saints’ depleted forward line, Membrey will attempt to pass a fitness test this week in a bid to take on the Magpies in his first game of the season.
Membrey, 28, hurt his knee on the eve of the season, but the Saints have defied a significant injury toll to win their first four games of the season.

More Coverage​

Next please! Lyon looking forward to Magpies on the reboundCrisp apologises as AFL makes call on sanctionsRevealed: The biggest travelling Vic fanbases headed to SA
He would provide a strong marking target inside 50m against one of the best defences in the league on Sunday.
The Saints odds of making the eight have been slashed from $5 at the start of the season to $1.50 with TAB.

we’ve only beaten s**t teams by the looks of things. Once we pipe Collingwood, things will change.

Who have Blues beaten? If we've beaten shit, they're the ones shovelling.

Yet, they make 2nd or 3rd on these lists because smoke up arse is apparently warm and cuddly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now back in the day I remember that I once ate a sammich and it was a nice sammich but as I was sitting on the bench wondering who I was going to shirt front and who was going to do my washing I spied a kid wondering WTF I was doing since coach was screaming at me to get up and get on the field. I was wondering, how does it feel to be rising star?

Derm does indeed crap on about a lot of nothing to ask a simple question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back