Training 2023 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

There were occasions where those guys missed games. We could have shuffled things around to fit Dow but didn't. We then moved Doc to the midfield late in the season to keep Dow out which robbed our backline a lot. I just think you reward form at the VFL level. Very dangerous otherwise. You end up losing very good players. GC do this repeatedly.
But was Dow’s VFL form worth more than the AFL form of our on-ballers?

Was Dow’s AFL form last year, albeit limited, anywhere near what Doc produced in the midfield?

Are we better off playing the likes of Cerra and Kennedy/Hewett predominantly on a wing/half-forward to accomodate Dow in the middle, or are we better off playing our best centre-square mids in the middle and some guys who are actually wings and half forwards in their actual positions?

Why? They don't even play the same role.

You mean to say that you would play Kemp on the likes of Cameron or pickett?

Ones played 150 odd games and the other has struggled to get a run at all .(granted still finding his way).

Some on here get romantic about the prospects of young players who have yet to show anything. This year it appears to be Kemp, last year Honey seemed to have attained mythical status.

I hope that Kemp makes it with all of my heart. However at this stage he is a relatively high draft pick who has shown little and hasn't looked like making a position his yet.

To suggest that he MUST play before plowman is ridiculous.
Spot on

Why? They don't even play the same role.

You mean to say that you would play Kemp on the likes of Cameron or pickett?

Ones played 150 odd games and the other has struggled to get a run at all .(granted still finding his way).

Some on here get romantic about the prospects of young players who have yet to show anything. This year it appears to be Kemp, last year Honey seemed to have attained mythical status.

I hope that Kemp makes it with all of my heart. However at this stage he is a relatively high draft pick who has shown little and hasn't looked like making a position his yet.

To suggest that he MUST play before plowman is ridiculous.
Kemp showed plenty in the vfl
His ground game, run and carry really improved. He can run.
He can also play as a key defender.
Our supporters, generally, are not appreciating what we have here.

What a weird arse day it was yesterday!!

Got up to head into the open training session a bit excited to see the audition of Markov paired up with Saad in a match sim situation. Get there, and here's Ash Hansen coming over to the supporters explaining the structure of the session - having 38 fit players and a couple of VFL top ups in Parksy and Ronke to make up the numbers. No mention of the train on players.

So here I am scanning across the players during warm up - no sign of Markov. So they start their drills, I'm still looking everywhere, when SEN radio suddenly announce that he's signed with *ing Collingwood that morning!!! So the head is spinning trying to work out what the hell just went down while I'm trying to concentrate on watching the session.....and then spot this big skinny kid running around in #32 thinking "who the * is that???" Definitely not Binnsy - probably just some fill-in VFL ruckman to balance the numbers with Pitto, TDK and big Mirko for the match sim - although Hansen never mentioned him.

Toward the end of the session, I see Cincotta on the far side of the ground doing some last minute kicking drills with one of the assistants and thought "well, with Markov now with the Filth, it looks like their doing their final checks and balances with Cincotta before they announce his signing." Then right in front of me, there were a group of mids getting organised to do some fairly low intensity stoppage drills....with the tall mystery kid doing the ruckwork!!! And I'm thinking of all the ruckman out there to undertake drills, they get the fill in?!?!

So I get home a few hours later to read that we've just signed the mystery kid after missing out on Markov!!! A cup of tea, a few bex and a good lie down was required for poor ol' Bamboo after all that :drunk:

Anyway, disappointed to miss out on Markov - always been a fan of his, and his run and carry off half back would have been more than handy - but welcome on board to the mystery kid Hudson O'Keefe after I finally found out who he was. It'll be interesting to see how they fill the other list spot.....still got a feeling it'll be Cincotta, but it looks like Austin and his crew may be doing some last minute ring arounds before the SSP deadline.

On a side note, jumped on board the #19 tram back the city, and there was Terry and Ian from BlueAbroad. Had a good yak with them about all things Carlton - a couple of absolute ripping lads :thumbsu:

Very much appreciate all the training reports. 👍👍👍
I think mine was a rant more than anything :)

Arr0w pretty much covered everything in his report, which I agree with all of it. Just a few observations though...

• it was absolutely awesome to see Cunners back in full training....you tend to forget how much of a smooth mover he is - great skills either side although there was still a bit of ring rust. Nice to see Fog out there as well getting back to full fitness
  • our smalls in Durdin and Mots seem to be playing the more traditional small forward role rather than the high half forward like last year. Could be wrong, but that's what it looks like. Either way, they'll be a serious threat to oppositions this year. Owies works hard, but still misses easy 20m passes - did one right in front of me during the warm up, and threw his head back when it missed the target. Gave me chills thinking back to the the last 30 seconds of the Melbourne game
  • great to see Walsh doing more laps, although his body still looks a long way off being match fit. Of course we said the same about Doc this time last year, but champions always find a way
  • our draftees seem to be improving every session. Massive kudos to Power and our development coaches. Hollands looks very confident the way he moves and seems to find space where there is none - however, on occasions he's horribly slow in his decision making when he has the ball in hand and gets caught. I noticed the same in the U18 champs, so an area of his game he'll have to improve. Big Lem is looking more like Tex Riewoldt every time I see him. Not great overhead right now, but agile for a 202cm fella and good on the lead. His overhead marking will no doubt improve as he puts on more muscle. Didn't really notice Cow or Binnsy a lot - although it's sometimes hard to tell players apart in the cut and thrust of match sim when they put on the blue singlets with no numbers. Arr0w said he was impressed what he saw from Cow, and that's good enough for me
  • Nigel Durdin will be more than just a handy back up KPD. Has done nothing wrong at all this pre season matched up against Charles and H, and there's probably a fair reason why he was originally a 1st round pick
  • Cincotta was out there in full training competing for the last spot. I didn't notice him a lot - but again, he was in the blue singlets with no numbers, so often hard to pick out individual players especially in congestion. For those not that familiar with him at VFL level, he's more of a raging bull across half back as opposed to a roadrunner like a Markov
  • Curnow is a freak of nature

• it was absolutely awesome to see Cunners back in full training....you tend to forget how much of a smooth mover he is - great skills either side although there was still a bit of ring rust. Nice to see Fog out there as well getting back to full fitness

So good to hear. I'm a massive fan. He has that extra pace / burst that really sets him apart. Glad we didn't delist him. If we can work out how to keep him on the park he'll be a big help.

So good to hear. I'm a massive fan. He has that extra pace / burst that really sets him apart. Glad we didn't delist him. If we can work out how to keep him on the park he'll be a big help.
Here’s hoping he can return to AFL fit & healthy and have an impact for us. A boost to the HFF/centre as point of difference player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was absolutely awesome to see Cunners back in full training....you tend to forget how much of a smooth mover he is - great skills either side although there was still a bit of ring rust.
Is the ring rust what made it a weird arse day?

And was it only Cuners who had a weird arse?

• it was absolutely awesome to see Cunners back in full training....you tend to forget how much of a smooth mover he is - great skills either side although there was still a bit of ring rust.

❤️ ❤️ The success of Cunners’ season could have a major impact on the success of Carlton’s season imo. The difference between top 8 and top 4; semi-final and GF; GF and Premiership.

A couple of others I consider in a similar vein - Martin, Williams (😢), Boyd (😢), Mots/Durds… but the potential impact of Cunners exceeds all. Genuine superstar qualities.

I also think we’re only 1-2 more medium/long-term injuries away from season derailed levels, depending on the players (we need our speed, x-factor players) so I hope we’ve seen the worst of it. Season derailed in the sense that Top 4/GF/Premiership chances are extinguished I mean, not to the extent that we miss the 8.

Last edited:
Just for interests' sake where do we think Cunners would be if he didn't have a horror run with injuries and played the same number of games as JSOS (being drafted in the same year)?

Just for interests' sake where do we think Cunners would be if he didn't have a horror run with injuries and played the same number of games as JSOS (being drafted in the same year)?
If Cuners had the same run of games and had the consistent intensity and tenacity and will to win each contest (like a Silvagni does), then he would be a top 5 player at Carlton and would have been very influential in the Blues winning more games over his time at the club. Especially the last two games last season had he been available.

Who the hell knows? Let’s just say, he has enough “potential” and skill to state it is not beyond possibility that he could be in All-Australian discussions if he had enjoyed an injury free run.

There is a reason we have held on to some of our injury prone boys. The same rating applies to Caleb Marchbank who the majority of this board seem to think will be in our seconds, even if fit.

So the training day on the Sunday 12th of March (I’ve only just noticed) has a little note under it signing session & kids activities, would this be some type of family day that the club would do usually before COVID?

Yes, you should reward good VFL form, but output needs to be above what AFL players are producing

Dow had a couple of call ups, but struggled, Doc and Setters play through the middle and showed way more

Dow is a mid only, so unless he has an impact, with and without the ball, he will struggle to cement himself, at any club
I tend to think Dow will struggle to make it but I do think so much of what holds him back is confidence or a lack there of. Last year he played two games one against Collingwood and one against Brisbane. We as a team were horrendous for a large portion of the Brisbane match and the Collingwood match was pretty hot. Totally agree you’ve got to take your chances but I’d love to see him get a run and some confidence. But again the age old of who does he come in for? No idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back