2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Weller isn’t a forward.
Berry plays forward, but can’t kick goals. Holman slightly better than that, but brings pressure.
Johnson may stay forward or go back again. Very unproven. Rogers in a similar boat.
Lombard hasn’t even been drafted.

Of those that are actually on our list, Flanders, Long, Ainsworth and Rosa’s the only ones that look likely to kick 20+ goals.

I’d say one more full-time goalkicker wouldn’t hurt. Dimma must agree.
It's going to make competition for spots, but if Owies is setting the bar at 1.5 goals per game then it's a good thing, we might see some of our favourites in the vfl next year.

Feel like Dimma has had a year to look at the list and I'm not any closer to knowing out forward half set up, big watch over preseason

It's going to make competition for spots, but if Owies is setting the bar at 1.5 goals per game then it's a good thing, we might see some of our favourites in the vfl next year.

Feel like Dimma has had a year to look at the list and I'm not any closer to knowing out forward half set up, big watch over preseason
2024 goalkicking stats
Matt Owies 33.13 (71.7%)
Ben Long 26.17 (60.5%)
Ben Ainsworth 16.9 (64%)
Bailey Humphrey 14.19 (42.4%)
Malcolm Rosas 12.6 (66.7%)
Sam Flanders 11.5 (68.8%)
Nick Holman 10.11 (47.6%)

It's the kind of pressure that needs to be applied to our small forwards. We're far too wasteful in front of goal and Owies fits the bill in terms of Dimma's goal of recruiting mature talent in their prime (27) that can immediately improve our performances.

The really pleasing aspect about this off season is that it feels like we're legitimately able to chase known players and convince them to join the club, unlike years goneby. Dimma must be one helluva salesman because it seems like we start talking to players and then not long later they decide they want to join. Definitely not something I'm used to.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back