2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a time to pay overs with draft picks and this off-season will be one of them.

We need to win games next year way way way more than we need to take a long term view of the list. We are already loaded with young players (just checked and there are 19 players under 24 who have played an AFL game this year) and Lombard will be another this year.

Rioli just makes sense as an experienced player with a few years left at top level, from a club that needs high picks to build for the future, position of need, won flags with Dimma, and grew up in the Top End and would probably love to play some games in Darwin.

It might be somebody else, but a lot of things line up with Rioli. For mine, happy to pay overs. We have the Suns and Dogs first rounders, plus pick 20. Won't be that hard to work out a deal where everyone says we paid too much but we are happy to do so to make next years list better.

No doubt, one or two high quality ready players would be handy. Hopefully, Dimma does his magic. I don't care really what it will cost. Lombard is coming, year after that another quality academy batch. Question is how many we will be able to bring in 2025 with rules changes and our list profile and needs.

We play so young this year. I am actually a bit worried that even next year we will still not be on the rise.

Here are players 23 and under for Essendon game with games played. In total, 14 players, then there is Rosas 22 (42), Read 18 (4).

We play 10 players, almost half of the line-up with < 50 games (Essendon 4). Team average games 75 (Essendon 116). 8 players < 20 games, 5 players < 10 games. Even re-build teams usually don't play such an inexperienced and young line-up (e.g., check out Hawks line-up today).

23 - Anderson (92), King (84), Lukosius (106)
22 - Flanders (54), Jeffrey (19), Moyle (4), Rowell (73)
21 - Clohesy (8)
20 - Andrew (29), Uwland (12)
19 - Humphrey (19), Johnston (5)
18 - Graham (5), Walter (8)

Last edited:

I have a rolling trade I’ve posted on this board before that could work out for all three clubs.

GCS OUT: Pick 8, 9, 20
GCS IN: Rioli, F2 (WCE), F2 (RICH), 59

WCE OUT: Pick 3, 59, F2
WCE IN: Pick 8, 9, 20

RICH OUT: Rioli, F2
RICH IN: Pick 3

On current ladder positions your future picks are pick 20 and 21 for a big academy intake. If you needed more points (I doubt you will) for this year’s academy players I’m sure some junk picks could be included. Hopefully we both get a win this weekend.

So trading out 3 first rounders for one established player, 2 future second rounders which could be in the 30s at best with the father sons and academy players projected next year plus a junk pick this year we won’t use…. Where do we sign!!

If Rioli comes it could be 2 first rounders at worse but would be two late first rounders at best with a 2nd or 3rd future coming back. Depends on how the contract is structured.

So trading out 3 first rounders for one established player, 2 future second rounders which could be in the 30s at best with the father sons and academy players projected next year plus a junk pick this year we won’t use…. Where do we sign!!

If Rioli comes it could be 2 first rounders at worse but would be two late first rounders at best with a 2nd or 3rd future coming back. Depends on how the contract is structured.
You’d get close to the assigned value for the 2R picks given they would be used as points for 1R matching rather than waiting for blow outs after NGA/FS bids.

Can’t speak for Richmond supporters but from their board the return they’d expect from a contracted Rioli would be your two highest 1Rs at the very least. Not saying I agree with that but don’t shoot the messenger.

Would be far more interested in us directly swapping our pick 3 for your best 1Rs enabling you to get a player before a Lombard bid. Although sentiment on your board seems to favour a Rioli or Bolton type impact player rather than another high draft pick.

You’d get close to the assigned value for the 2R picks given they would be used as points for 1R matching rather than waiting for blow outs after NGA/FS bids.

Can’t speak for Richmond supporters but from their board the return they’d expect from a contracted Rioli would be your two highest 1Rs at the very least. Not saying I agree with that but don’t shoot the messenger.

Would be far more interested in us directly swapping our pick 3 for your best 1Rs enabling you to get a player before a Lombard bid. Although sentiment on your board seems to favour a Rioli or Bolton type impact player rather than another high draft pick.
Agree with the bold bit, the Suns have enough talented young players. And will get more through the academy over the next few years.

Players like those you mentioned who are best 22 and ready to go are needed.

Agree with the bold bit, the Suns have enough talented young players. And will get more through the academy over the next few years.

Players like those you mentioned who are best 22 and ready to go are needed.
And that’s why I thought the trade I proposed would be of interest to GCS. You turn your picks into the ready made distributor/line breaker and get some low 20s picks for the mountain of points you will need next year. Sticking point is going to be what the Tigers value Rioli at but the interview he did a couple of weeks ago made it sound like he’s already got one foot out the door.

And that’s why I thought the trade I proposed would be of interest to GCS. You turn your picks into the ready made distributor/line breaker and get some low 20s picks for the mountain of points you will need next year. Sticking point is going to be what the Tigers value Rioli at but the interview he did a couple of weeks ago made it sound like he’s already got one foot out the door.

I’m not concerned at giving away the first rounders not the slightest but turning 3 1st rounder into Rioli with change… that’s a fleecing. If the suns only had one first rounder the tigers would be saying only our first rounder for this year.

The reason I don’t like your trade is because it’s heavily weighted in the Eagles favour and not the Suns which isn’t surprisingly cause we all want overs for our clubs

I’m not concerned at giving away the first rounders not the slightest but turning 3 1st rounder into Rioli with change… that’s a fleecing. If the suns only had one first rounder the tigers would be saying only our first rounder for this year.

The reason I don’t like your trade is because it’s heavily weighted in the Eagles favour and not the Suns which isn’t surprisingly cause we all want overs for our clubs
Would be interested to hear a counter offer in which you don’t feel you’re being fleeced.

It will all depend on what Richmond value a contracted Rioli at. I think it’s going to be higher than what you consider reasonable.

There is a time to pay overs with draft picks and this off-season will be one of them.

We need to win games next year way way way more than we need to take a long term view of the list. We are already loaded with young players (just checked and there are 19 players under 24 who have played an AFL game this year) and Lombard will be another this year.

Rioli just makes sense as an experienced player with a few years left at top level, from a club that needs high picks to build for the future, position of need, won flags with Dimma, and grew up in the Top End and would probably love to play some games in Darwin.

It might be somebody else, but a lot of things line up with Rioli. For mine, happy to pay overs. We have the Suns and Dogs first rounders, plus pick 20. Won't be that hard to work out a deal where everyone says we paid too much but we are happy to do so to make next years list better.
I could easily see this happening this year if the rumors are true and Rioli wanted to leave

2 x 1st rounder for Rioli +41, 48, 58 this would also allow the Suns to trade out 20, 26, 28 into 2025 to either keep in 2025
Or trade back into 2024 after the bid for Lombard

Pretty sure with the Richmond people at the Suns the wink wink could happen

I have a rolling trade I’ve posted on this board before that could work out for all three clubs.

GCS OUT: Pick 8, 9, 20
GCS IN: Rioli, F2 (WCE), F2 (RICH), 59

WCE OUT: Pick 3, 59, F2
WCE IN: Pick 8, 9, 20

RICH OUT: Rioli, F2
RICH IN: Pick 3

On current ladder positions your future picks are pick 20 and 21 for a big academy intake. If you needed more points (I doubt you will) for this year’s academy players I’m sure some junk picks could be included. Hopefully we both get a win this weekend.
So we give up 3 firsts for Rioli and a couple of mid future 2nd rounders. He’s not Harley Reid ffs

One of our current 1sts and pick 20 would be overs and jumped on by the rebuilding Tigers

So we give up 3 firsts for Rioli and a couple of mid future 2nd rounders. He’s not Harley Reid ffs

One of our current 1sts and pick 20 would be overs and jumped on by the rebuilding Tigers
I agree. Generally had good chats with tigers posters, but a number of them said even pick 3 for Rioli was still understand which I thought was a little over the top.

Still hoping to deal directly with you guys for your 1st rounders but our pick 1 became pick 2 and now pick 3 since I first floated it. Any trade you can see with the eagles that would give you our top pick to use on a player or a draftee before Lombard? Maybe a Luke Trainor type to develop under Ballard and Collins?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Generally had good chats with tigers posters, but a number of them said even pick 3 for Rioli was still understand which I thought was a little over the top.

Still hoping to deal directly with you guys for your 1st rounders but our pick 1 became pick 2 and now pick 3 since I first floated it. Any trade you can see with the eagles that would give you our top pick to use on a player or a draftee before Lombard? Maybe a Luke Trainor type to develop under Ballard and Collins?
In what thread is this chat about Rioli?

The tigers are going to want to maximise the return on Rioli as all clubs do, luckily they would be dealing with the Suns who are know to over pay. If we paid our first, the dogs and 20 for Rioli I would hand in my membership, it’s just ridiculously over the top for a very good, not great player.

Leo is predicted end of 1st round ATM so I could see us combining our pick and the dogs to move up the board if we saw an elite talent, I think that’s the only way the Eagles get involved

In what thread is this chat about Rioli?

The tigers are going to want to maximise the return on Rioli as all clubs do, luckily they would be dealing with the Suns who are know to over pay. If we paid our first, the dogs and 20 for Rioli I would hand in my membership, it’s just ridiculously over the top for a very good, not great player.

Leo is predicted end of 1st round ATM so I could see us combining our pick and the dogs to move up the board if we saw an elite talent, I think that’s the only way the Eagles get involved
Trade thread. Was a couple or weeks ago. Had one of them tell me we should trade pick 3 and our F2 to get Baker about the same time. Some good posters there but that’s unhinged.

If Lombard keeps playing like he did vs Allies he’ll go top 10 I think, didn’t realise just how strong he is. That trade you suggested is essentially the trade I thought would bring us into it. Also thought if you have enough points this year swapping you pick 20 into the early 2R next year may be of benefit. We might need to add our F3 to even it all up depending on final ladder positions but can’t see our pick being anything but pick 3.

3 mid-late 1st round picks is a Jeremy Cameron level of trade (GWS got back 2 future second rounders from Geelong for that too).

Rioli is contracted (unlike Cameron), I get that. But anything more than two is overs.

In this hypothetical, it would also all depend what else happens at Richmond and how many picks they would be getting overall. They might have surplus and want to bundle picks, or on trade picks etc. depends how they keep playing and who is staying.

But for me, if Richmond want 3 first rounders, look for another half-back… Or use the picks on other players (winger, small forward etc.)

3 mid-late 1st round picks is a Jeremy Cameron level of trade (GWS got back 2 future second rounders from Geelong for that too).

Rioli is contracted (unlike Cameron), I get that. But anything more than two is overs.

In this hypothetical, it would also all depend what else happens at Richmond and how many picks they would be getting overall. They might have surplus and want to bundle picks, or on trade picks etc. depends how they keep playing and who is staying.

But for me, if Richmond want 3 first rounders, look for another half-back… Or use the picks on other players (winger, small forward etc.)

Three is not happening (apologies if that is what I implied) but we have the ammo to pay overs and that is what it will take to get a contracted player out.
It might be our best pick (probably in the 8-10 range) and that is it.
It might be two picks in the 12-20 range and we get something back.

Whatever it is, it will look like too much.
But it will be too much of something we got for a decent chunk of something we ain't got enough of.

I now see Ainsworth is replaceable.
After watching Olli Dempsey performing week in and week out for the cats of late.
From a rookie draft in 22 to performing above Ainsworth already.

There’s no need to spend the 600k + per year on a player who has reached his peak.

Where that money goes… no idea
I guess having so many first Rd draft picks of late means we have to pay up sooner or later

Three is not happening (apologies if that is what I implied) but we have the ammo to pay overs and that is what it will take to get a contracted player out.
It might be our best pick (probably in the 8-10 range) and that is it.
It might be two picks in the 12-20 range and we get something back.

Whatever it is, it will look like too much.
But it will be too much of something we got for a decent chunk of something we ain't got enough of.
Would be interesting to see how much we are prepared to pay overs in draft capital to get a rebuilding team like the Tigers to pay a majority of Rioli's salary over the next 2 years. There would be a real value in getting a good experienced player and salary cap relief at the same time.

Well this is wrong, we don't have pick 4. We have 8, 11 and 20.
Draft picks subject to change ovbs depending on how high we are up on the ladder.

Plus whatever F/S and Academy bids come in those numbers could slide back.

Draft picks subject to change ovbs depending on how high we are up on the ladder.

Plus whatever F/S and Academy bids come in those numbers could slide back.
Neither us or the dogs have been as low as 15th on the ladder so the provisional picks just made no sense that's all.

Would be interested to hear a counter offer in which you don’t feel you’re being fleeced.

It will all depend on what Richmond value a contracted Rioli at. I think it’s going to be higher than what you consider reasonable.
A much younger, contracted Charlie Cameron was worth pick 12.

I’d say Rioli is worth about the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back