2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel only I would think, the interesting part is what your club value him at and what we would be willing to pay.
Luckily for you our trades team are clueless by reputation, Weller, Wright, Bowes currently in the top 5 all time terrible trades. However maybe this will change now Dimma has a strong say in running the club
Any salary dumps that may come with a 1st round pick in his back pocket this year

YOUNG SUN LIKELY TO STAY

Gold Coast has a strong level of confidence that Mac Andrew will sign-on this year past the 2025 season, despite him changing management groups with his own manager Julian Petracca.

Petracca is with Hemisphere Management, but is to move to the Connors Sports stable in July.

It means Andrew’s management fees will be paid to Hemisphere until the end of 2025, but the 20-year-old will move with Petracca, who can broker his next contract for 2026 onwards.

Andrew is one of the brightest prospects in footy and is seen to be happy on the Gold Coast as his intercept-marking skills come to the fore. He could name his own price if he wanted to move on, but as the Suns push towards a maiden finals berth he is content and keen to remain at the club long-term. The Suns will have to give him a bumper payrise given his growth, but with Noah Anderson and Charlie Ballard coming out of contract at the end of 2025 they will want to save some cap space.

YOUNG SUN LIKELY TO STAY

Gold Coast has a strong level of confidence that Mac Andrew will sign-on this year past the 2025 season, despite him changing management groups with his own manager Julian Petracca.

Petracca is with Hemisphere Management, but is to move to the Connors Sports stable in July.

It means Andrew’s management fees will be paid to Hemisphere until the end of 2025, but the 20-year-old will move with Petracca, who can broker his next contract for 2026 onwards.

Andrew is one of the brightest prospects in footy and is seen to be happy on the Gold Coast as his intercept-marking skills come to the fore. He could name his own price if he wanted to move on, but as the Suns push towards a maiden finals berth he is content and keen to remain at the club long-term. The Suns will have to give him a bumper payrise given his growth, but with Noah Anderson and Charlie Ballard coming out of contract at the end of 2025 they will want to save some cap space.

Matt Rowell and Charlie Ballard ***

Can I ask another qn.
Its been floated that you are interested in Maurice & Dan Rioli. Maurice addressing your small forward problems....lack of pressure. Dan, your lack of rebound speed.

Does anyone agree?

Will Lombard address this at all?

Can you take Lombard and Dan Rioli?
Where has it been suggested that we are interested in recruiting both Maurice and Dan Rioli? I know there was a whisper that Dan wouldn't leave Maurice on his own, but this would make more sense if Dimma wants both. Anyway, source please.

If it's true then Dimma must still have a grip on a lot of these young lads at Richmond and I'm guessing he's sold the idea of playing games at home in Darwin as a big carrot for them. Maurice, Dan and Ben Long are all cousins of Cyril Rioli so I'm sure there would be a family feel to the move if it were to happen and just adds to our connection to the NT. Recruiting Dan Rioli is a no brainer, but I don't mind the idea of getting Maurice as well considering our small forward stocks are a bit bare at the moment.

As for Lombard, I think his future lies in the midfield and the forward line would just be a temporary measure to gain experience. Although he may not need to spend much time in the forward line with the way he's playing at the moment. I could see him slotting in on the wing very quickly.

Where has it been suggested that we are interested in recruiting both Maurice and Dan Rioli? I know there was a whisper that Dan wouldn't leave Maurice on his own, but this would make more sense if Dimma wants both. Anyway, source please.

If it's true then Dimma must still have a grip on a lot of these young lads at Richmond and I'm guessing he's sold the idea of playing games at home in Darwin as a big carrot for them. Maurice, Dan and Ben Long are all cousins of Cyril Rioli so I'm sure there would be a family feel to the move if it were to happen and just adds to our connection to the NT. Recruiting Dan Rioli is a no brainer, but I don't mind the idea of getting Maurice as well considering our small forward stocks are a bit bare at the moment.

As for Lombard, I think his future lies in the midfield and the forward line would just be a temporary measure to gain experience. Although he may not need to spend much time in the forward line with the way he's playing at the moment. I could see him slotting in on the wing very quickly.
Maurice Rioli I wouldn’t trade anything more than a zinger box for.

Ben Ainsworth -

Contract on the table.

McCluggage, Taylor & Hayward all re-signed after their bye.

We have our bye next week. Ainswoth extension in Round 15? If Not Bye Bye Ben

The only positive is we essentially picked up Moyle for free and if he goes we will get something back.

Small compensation, but it is what it is. He too good to stay in the VFL. Up to him now.
But it’s not really.
Witt’s has the name… the points in the bank and the captaincy.

Moyle could be best on this weekend and prob be dropped after the bye for Witt’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we all need to be more concerned about Caleb Graham leaving to kangaroos!! The Crab 🦀

Adelaide, Melbourne and Collingwood have expressed strong interest in Gold Coast’s back-up ruckman Ned Moyle as the 22-year-old attempts to dislodge Jarrod Witts as the club’s No. 1 ruckman.
Moyle has been extremely impressive in his three games this season as the Suns’ wealth of options in their key position stocks creates a logjam at selection.

He has not engaged with any other teams despite being out of contract and his preferred option would be to remain with the Suns despite being behind Witts in the pecking order.

But as many as five clubs are pursuing him given his physical style and impressive recent AFL contests.

As the season progresses his future will become more clear given Witts was rested for him in one of the club’s Darwin clashes before missing with a hamstring against Essendon.

Witts signed on for another two seasons early this year and both are contested ball ruckmen who do not play forward, which makes it hard to play both in the one side.

But Gold Coast would love to retain Moyle, with coach Damien Hardwick saying on Thursday he would play again given Witts’ injury.

“Young Ned Moyle will play 80 per cent of that role, he was really good last week he’s grown with every game he’s played,” he said.

“He’s shown us he’s a capable AFL ruckman. We’re very fortunate we have two great rucks, one towards the end of his career (Witts) and one towards the start (Moyle).”

Adelaide this week dropped first-choice ruckman Reilly O’Brien for 28-year-old KieKieran Strachan and would love Moyle’s contested style of play in their mix.

The Suns expect Adelaide to again come hard to key position forward Jack Lukosius, who is on a lucrative contract to 2026 but is keen to remain on the coast.

Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda are all keen to lure ruck depth to their clubs, but the Saints are looking for a forward who can complement Rowan Marshall in the centre square.

The Pies need ruck strength as a succession plan for Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron, with Aiden Begg and Oscar Steene showing promise but both out with long-term injuries.

The Herald Sun revealed last month Rory Lobb would ask for a trade from the Dogs at year’s end.

Melbourne has star ruckman Max Gawn contracted to the end of 2025 but has only key tall Tom Fullarton and youngster Will Verrall as back-up for footy’s most dominant ruckman.

It would be a coup if the Suns could retain former mid-season draftee Moyle despite Witts’ presence and an endorsement of the culture that coach Damien Hardwick is attempting to build.

The club recruited Ethan Reid as a versatile key position forward but he might eventually settle as a roaming half back alongside Mac Andrew, Sam Collins and Charlie Ballard.

Ballard is a free agent next year while Andrew and star mid Matt Rowell are also out of contract at the end of 2025.

I think Moyle needs Witts next year as much as Witts needs Moyle, He's not physically ready for 23 afl matches so Witts will protect him from that and then be primed and ready to go in 2026. And Witts stays on the list as back up to Ned, providing leadership. Its timed perfectly
Then in 2027 Ethan Read should be ready to give Moyle a chop out in the ruck

I think Moyle needs Witts next year as much as Witts needs Moyle, He's not physically ready for 23 afl matches so Witts will protect him from that and then be primed and ready to go in 2026. And Witts stays on the list as back up to Ned, providing leadership. Its timed perfectly
money and security talks.

People forget Luke Jackson and Moyle are only 4 months different in age.
Jackson’s been best 22 since day dot almost.

Moyle ain’t a world beater and we shouldn’t pay him as one.

That being said.. we need a back up ruckman.

money and security talks.

People forget Luke Jackson and Moyle are only 4 months different in age.
Jackson’s been best 22 since day dot almost.

Moyle ain’t a world beater and we shouldn’t pay him as one.

That being said.. we need a back up ruckman.
This is the issue isn't it. Witts is getting on, and probably can't play every game. So if Moyle leaves we need to trade in a back up that is competent.

Then when Witts finishes up we need a number one ruck.

Tricky to get the salary balance right, with Rowell, Andrew and Ballard needing extensions soon.

Does Ainsworth have to leave to free up the cash?

This is the issue isn't it. Witts is getting on, and probably can't play every game. So if Moyle leaves we need to trade in a back up that is competent.

Then when Witts finishes up we need a number one ruck.

Tricky to get the salary balance right, with Rowell, Andrew and Ballard needing extensions soon.

Does Ainsworth have to leave to free up the cash?

Rowell Andrew and Ballard would get paid what they are worth and we build around that

I’m sure the core group aren’t too greedy. If they wanted more money they could of all left ages ago

This one is for joker Ben :)

AFL Draft 2024: Chris Cavanagh and Dan Batten’s Top 25 prospects – June edition​

7. Leo Lombard

Gold Coast Suns Academy/Allies

While he is another player on the smaller side for a midfielder at 178cm, Lombard is hard-at-it and is a prolific ball winner. He featured in the Suns’ VFL premiership side as a 16-year-old last year and has continued to impress playing for multiple teams at different levels in the early part of this season – including another VFL appearance where he finished with 28 disposals. Lombard has a great workrate, is cool and composed with ball in hand and can be very dangerous around goal. He has been likened to AFL Rising Star nominee Jake Rogers, who has been working with Lombard and refers to him as being “like a little brother”.

Jarrod Berry shuting down Bont tonight after Bont's BOG performance last week.

Mentioned before he's 192cm/90kg inside/outside like Noah.

RFA, Brother already here, didn't sign over the bye. Perfect fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back