2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne drafted Brayshaw, Petracca, Oliver in 2014-2015 then didn't draft another first rounder till 2019 in Luke Jackson. Traded for May, Lever in that window.

I know we got academy kids to pay for but we need to fill the gaps with mature aged talent, we'll never get better. We need experienced players asap

A recent example is Sydney, Gulden, Warner, McDonald, Blakey all drafted same time as our core, but they went and got Grundy, Adams, Jordon & Francis without overpaying.

I don’t disagree with your point, Sydney are very savvy operators and have a habit of making some golden list management moves.

I wouldnt included Francis in your list, he is just depth that they have had to use as their tall backs keep getting concussed.

And I also think time will tell if Adams was a smart trade. They were already top of the table before he played any games. Good player, but not sure if he was an 100% need or just opportunistic.

Draft picks pay for our academy players.
Or to trade for mature players.

Will need a another good pick this year for Lombard and another top pick next year for Uwland especially if the rules change.

Which lessens the currency we have of landing a mature big fish

Hope you guys dont mind me giving opinions here and i used to come to blows with an old man here that was always grumpy but dont see him around anymore (We became friends and he spent more time defending me in the end)

If the trade for Rioli was to eventuate for GC 2x1st rounder Richmond would be putting picks 40,41, 50, 58 = 1300 points
equivalent to pick #12 value

Hope you guys dont mind me giving opinions here and i used to come to blows with an old man here that was always grumpy but dont see him around anymore (We became friends and he spent more time defending me in the end)

If the trade for Rioli was to eventuate for GC 2x1st rounder Richmond would be putting picks 40,41, 50, 58 = 1300 points
equivalent to pick #12 value
Lombard's range. So essentially 1 first round pick?

Lombard's range. So essentially 1 first round pick?
If the 2 sides could or did make a deal for Rioli like the one i posted above
They could also add into it Gold Coast #20 to go to Richmond for our F3 & F4 and when the Bids for you academy kid/s are completed Richmond could trade #22 back to GC if they wished to get back into grab a player they may rate

Our goal needs to be two experienced players, one of whom is a legit A grader. That is the dream. We have several holes:

A halfback with speed.

A winger with skills.

A small forward to kick goals, preferably who can be injected into the midfield to add spark or be a point of difference when needed.

Those are my priorities to get or develop, in that order. One might come internally as the year develops, or through rookies, others in the draft. But two need to be ready made and ready to go.

Because we need speed and footskills, badly.

Shame the free agency pool is dwindling, as a free hit at a player would be handy!

But reality is, it’s past time to win. If we can’t do it this year, it means the list isn’t good enough and so we need to bandaid it, fast. A draft pick isn’t a fast fix 99% of the time.

They could also add into it Gold Coast #20 to go to Richmond for our F3 & F4 and when the Bids for you academy kid/s are completed Richmond could trade #22 back to GC if they wished to get back into grab a player they may rate
I'm not all over whos got what picks and what academy kids we want or how hard that's gonna be, but the academy players has to be our priority, they are going to form the essential core, and the current core of rowell anderson king ballard luko flanders will become the experienced guys so i get where you're going with this, and im sure any dealings with rioli we would have our greater intentions at mind.

Aside from the rioli trade, if we want players we're going to have to give up some, so will be interesting if there is a shake-up or if dimma has confidence in his best 22

I'm not all over whos got what picks and what academy kids we want or how hard that's gonna be, but the academy players has to be our priority, they are going to form the essential core, and the current core of rowell anderson king ballard luko flanders will become the experienced guys so i get where you're going with this, and im sure any dealings with rioli we would have our greater intentions at mind.

Aside from the rioli trade, if we want players we're going to have to give up some, so will be interesting if there is a shake-up or if dimma has confidence in his best 22
Personally if I had to choose between Rioli or Lombard or anything other similar deal for a gun instead of a academy player.

I’m going Rioli type player who has runs on the boards.
Could end up with a top 5 odd pick dud like Elijah Tsatas
We need to get wins now not more 18yr old kids even if QLD kids

Personally if I had to choose between Rioli or Lombard or anything other similar deal for a gun instead of a academy player.

I’m going Rioli type player who has runs on the boards.
Could end up with a top 5 odd pick dud like Elijah Tsatas
We need to get wins now not more 18yr old kids even if QLD kids
I dont think you followed, the deal was about using one to secure the other

Well he is on record saying 80% of the premiership side was in the room on his appointment and was blessed with 4 top kids last draft and another gun this year in Lombard so you would have to think its locked and loaded for an extended tilt at multiple flags with the age of your list.

Sure he does have missing parts but with your draft hand they can be acquired, Personally i see 3 missing players before i can say its as perfect list as it can get.
1. Backup Ruckman (can Moyle develop enough and does he stay , I think GC should do everything they can to convince him)
2. Full Back Sam Collins is 30 years old but what if he goes down or drops off who is the backup
3. Running HB that can break lines and attack from defence

Really the list is fantastic and just needs to learn the Dimma game plan another year and have the confidence and maturity.

Wow, you are doing us such a massive favour, can we throw in next years first as well. 😉

I know our club has a well deserved reputation as being soft as butter, throwing away top 10 draft picks for peanuts ( 2MP, Holland, Scrimshaw to name a few) but as mentioned the Swans are successful by bringing in mature talent and not overpaying. We need to take a leaf out of that book lMO, Rioli is a good player and yes he is contracted so a first rounder is warranted, but not 2. The Suns need to start walking away from one sided deals if we are to be a legitimate and successful long term club.

Some here will disagree and state it’s only draft picks and that is true but paying a price that should land you an A grade mid in their prime ( e.g. 2 first rounders) for a good half back flanker is not good business.

I don’t disagree with your point, Sydney are very savvy operators and have a habit of making some golden list management moves.

I wouldnt included Francis in your list, he is just depth that they have had to use as their tall backs keep getting concussed.

And I also think time will tell if Adams was a smart trade. They were already top of the table before he played any games. Good player, but not sure if he was an 100% need or just opportunistic.

Francis & Adams still add good depth and leadership compare to who we can drag over, Charlie Constable, Connor Blakely, Jack Mahoney types who may be on min wage but add 0 value to our best 23.

We all love Dave Swallow but he’s never played finals so leaning on finals advice from VFL players like Rory Atkins & Brandon Ellis right now doesn’t feel as good.

Our 23 that played on the weekend, none of them have played finals before, 5 blokes over 27 (the age Dan rioli is, which I would hope we land)

We’ve been linked to some “washed” blokes over the year, yeo Parker johanissen heppell
All might not sound much but it’s an area we need to target

9 players under 50 games this week, dimma defjnately playing the kids which is good. But it’s all we got really and 3 first rounders to change that

At least we can have confidence the club is going to target the right players - went for Heeney previously and looking back if they had have pulled that off it would’ve taken our midfield to another level. This year targeting Rioli for some pace, run, speed and good ball use off half back. If we can get an elite winger as well we will be a force to be reckoned with. Plus when you factor in all the young stars we have with limited game time as they get another season or two under their belt they’ll come alive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we can have confidence the club is going to target the right players - went for Heeney previously and looking back if they had have pulled that off it would’ve taken our midfield to another level. This year targeting Rioli for some pace, run, speed and good ball use off half back. If we can get an elite winger as well we will be a force to be reckoned with. Plus when you factor in all the young stars we have with limited game time as they get another season or two under their belt they’ll come alive.
Our wingers Clohesy and Johnston are not happy with your wing assessment. They will be killing it next year 😂.

Francis & Adams still add good depth and leadership compare to who we can drag over, Charlie Constable, Connor Blakely, Jack Mahoney types who may be on min wage but add 0 value to our best 23.

We all love Dave Swallow but he’s never played finals so leaning on finals advice from VFL players like Rory Atkins & Brandon Ellis right now doesn’t feel as good.

Our 23 that played on the weekend, none of them have played finals before, 5 blokes over 27 (the age Dan rioli is, which I would hope we land)

We’ve been linked to some “washed” blokes over the year, yeo Parker johanissen heppell
All might not sound much but it’s an area we need to target

9 players under 50 games this week, dimma defjnately playing the kids which is good. But it’s all we got really and 3 first rounders to change that

It amazes me the washed up players that media like to connect to GC. It’s similar to the Victorian players at Port are all leaving….

Given that GC best is very exciting, GC finally has a well regarded coach, with a system, the quality of the trades should improve.

Also, the Suns simply don’t have the cap room to throw at players like Atkins anymore. The young core are very exciting and deserve the money.

It amazes me the washed up players that media like to connect to GC. It’s similar to the Victorian players at Port are all leaving….

Given that GC best is very exciting, GC finally has a well regarded coach, with a system, the quality of the trades should improve.

Also, the Suns simply don’t have the cap room to throw at players like Atkins anymore. The young core are very exciting and deserve the money.

The young players have grown, maybe a patience’s thing. Anderson and Rowell are in year 5 now so we need to start doing something as a team

We should try to offload Atkins to the Roos to free up cash. They want more mature players, and he might just be best 22 for them.

They just clogged their list up with dyl stephens

Rat won’t get a game there, they got a team full of flankers

d6c472099c2ae1dc28ab487b50aa478f.jpg

We got chad Warner growing on a tree in our backyard

Wow, you are doing us such a massive favour, can we throw in next years first as well. 😉

I know our club has a well deserved reputation as being soft as butter, throwing away top 10 draft picks for peanuts ( 2MP, Holland, Scrimshaw to name a few) but as mentioned the Swans are successful by bringing in mature talent and not overpaying. We need to take a leaf out of that book lMO, Rioli is a good player and yes he is contracted so a first rounder is warranted, but not 2. The Suns need to start walking away from one sided deals if we are to be a legitimate and successful long term club.

Some here will disagree and state it’s only draft picks and that is true but paying a price that should land you an A grade mid in their prime ( e.g. 2 first rounders) for a good half back flanker is not good business.
Its all opinion and i can respect yours
But there is no way Richmond would let a 'Rioli' leave with just 1 pick that will be around 10/11 that has 3 years remaining on a contract.
The decision would be upto the GC list manager and the coach and how they think the list is and if they have equal options.

But similar to Richmond in 2016 there comes a time where you think enough kids and cant wait for organic growth when you have such a need in an area thats critical to the game plan and the time has come where its 'NOW'.

The Lombard kid going top 10 and next years academy kids make this call alot easier for the Gold Coast.
But maybe Dimma might think a player like Short would be just as impactful and suit the role which would come cheaper
or another player from another club.

Its all opinion and i can respect yours
But there is no way Richmond would let a 'Rioli' leave with just 1 pick that will be around 10/11 that has 3 years remaining on a contract.
The decision would be upto the GC list manager and the coach and how they think the list is and if they have equal options.

But similar to Richmond in 2016 there comes a time where you think enough kids and cant wait for organic growth when you have such a need in an area thats critical to the game plan and the time has come where its 'NOW'.

The Lombard kid going top 10 and next years academy kids make this call alot easier for the Gold Coast.
But maybe Dimma might think a player like Short would be just as impactful and suit the role which would come cheaper
or another player from another club.
It would seem there is an opportunity for both clubs to get what they want. But it may depend most on Rioli, he may have thought about it and decided he's not interested? Or maybe he is and asks Richmond for the move?

The Suns are likely to be content to pay overs in terms of draft picks, especially if Richmond retain a part of his salary (buying an extra useful draft pick so to speak).

It's tricky getting the balance right for clubs that are rebuilding, you don't want to get rid of all the useful senior players, but you also need to get as many high draft picks as you can (especially with the looming Tassie drafts). As I said it may depend on Rioli. Even if he stays Richmond should be looking to do a deal with the Suns who need to get rid of their high picks one way or another.

It would seem there is an opportunity for both clubs to get what they want. But it may depend most on Rioli, he may have thought about it and decided he's not interested? Or maybe he is and asks Richmond for the move?

The Suns are likely to be content to pay overs in terms of draft picks, especially if Richmond retain a part of his salary (buying an extra useful draft pick so to speak).

It's tricky getting the balance right for clubs that are rebuilding, you don't want to get rid of all the useful senior players, but you also need to get as many high draft picks as you can (especially with the looming Tassie drafts). As I said it may depend on Rioli. Even if he stays Richmond should be looking to do a deal with the Suns who need to get rid of their high picks one way or another.
We did something similar in 2016
Brett Deledio was in contract but something happened and talk was he wanted to get to Geelong and Geelong couldnt satisfy Richmonds demand for a 1st rounder but GWS stepped in and made deledio an attractive offer and a 1st rounder was the trade but Richmond paid $100k-$150k of a 2 year deal ( numbers changed depending on the reports at the time)

But that was a good deal for Richmond bad a terrible deal for Lids as he missed out on 3 premierships, Dont think Rioli would need to worry about that outcome with where Richmond is currently at.

We did something similar in 2016
Brett Deledio was in contract but something happened and talk was he wanted to get to Geelong and Geelong couldnt satisfy Richmonds demand for a 1st rounder but GWS stepped in and made deledio an attractive offer and a 1st rounder was the trade but Richmond paid $100k-$150k of a 2 year deal ( numbers changed depending on the reports at the time)

But that was a good deal for Richmond bad a terrible deal for Lids as he missed out on 3 premierships, Dont think Rioli would need to worry about that outcome with where Richmond is currently at.
Very sad for Lids, one of my favourites

Ben Ainsworth is keen to stay at Gold Coast after being well paid across his career as a top 10 draft pick and his management has not sought out rival interest, which has to be a good sign for him staying despite Essendon’s interest.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back