2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry.Just read this reply?That's your take on those stats?They must be wrong-oh yeah-Secco kicks up and unders that why.
It's the Secco Story.People find reasons for why he's bad-first guy dropped after a loss.Rioli-reasons he's good with the same stats:eek:
I like Secco, he has been a great servant of the club and given us many great moments, he just isn't a damaging half back. Like Flanders when he was at HB, he can have 30 touches and the other teams don't care. He isn't going to cut you up with footskills or long runs. He like the majority of our team, just pumps the ball long and high. Rioli is a hell of a lot more dangerous as a half back, much better kick, faster, more daring. We never pull kicks off into the middle or take the game on, Rioli is the sort of player who does that. I agree we are going to overpay and its not going to be a fair price but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Our bounce out of half back absolutely stinks and Rioli upgrades us in that spot from the moment he walks in.

Rioli is obviously an upgrade on Sexton as a halfback. And ignore stats (similar, but Rioli is a bit better in the ones we care about to try and improve some of our problems) and just watch them play. Rioli is just better in that position and that is obvious to the eye test.

I like Sexton. Have for years and would give him every chance to perform if it were up to me. He’s serviceable and sometimes even good. But Rioli is better in a HB role.

Now, is he worth the speculated cost? That’s a legitimate conversation and criticism.
I would say nobody really argues that Sexton is better than Rioli. Although interestingly, Sexton has more meters gained, a bit better score involvements and score assists. It's also worth to notice that at the moment all goes through Rioli at Tigers.

The issue is do we go all in and pay crazy overs. Pick 13 would be more than enough overs for me.

So for me, it would be handy to have Rioli but I would be focusing as hell on midfield. Without properly functioning midfield nothing will save us.

Last edited:
I would say nobody really argues that Sexton is better than Rioli. The issue is do we go all in and pay crazy overs. Pick 13 would be more than enough overs for me. It's also worth to notice that at the moment all goes through Rioli at Tigers.

So for me, it would be handy to have Rioli but I would be focusing as hell on midfield. Without properly functioning midfield nothing will save us.
Hardwick has never had an overwhelming good midfield, Tigers played a bounce off halfback/turnover game. Have a look at their flag teams, never a high clearance team. They beat teams with speed and getting the ball forward. We don't have much speed on the half back line or through the middle. We are getting Rioli because Hardwick rates half backs higher than most, unfortunately he seems intent on shaping this team into Richmond 2.0 rather than shaping a game plan to the teams strengths.

Hardwick has never had an overwhelming good midfield, Tigers played a bounce off halfback/turnover game. Have a look at their flag teams, never a high clearance team. They beat teams with speed and getting the ball forward. We don't have much speed on the half back line or through the middle. We are getting Rioli because Hardwick rates half backs higher than most, unfortunately he seems intent on shaping this team into Richmond 2.0 rather than shaping a game plan to the teams strengths.
Listen to Dimma after recent losses. Extremely frustrated by midfield being destroyed and being number one reason for losses. Dimma talks a lot about keeping ball forward. But with terrible inside 50 deliveries, ordinary pressure is hard to do.

To be honest, the team looked confused recently and I did not see any progress really.

We played safe, meaning slow, side ways, no dare. Started to bomb the ball again.

Honestly, seeing Holman on the wing and Weller as defending HB does my head.

Listen to Dimma after recent losses. Extremely frustrated by midfield being destroyed and being number one reason for losses. Dimma talks a lot about keeping ball forward. But with terrible inside 50 deliveries, ordinary pressure is hard to do.

To be honest, the team looked confused recently and I did not see any progress really.

We played safe, meaning slow, side ways, no dare. Started to bomb the ball again.

Honestly, seeing Holman on the wing and Weller as defending HB does my head.
Midfield getting destroyed comes down to coaching for me, their positioning is completely off and they all want to fold to the front of the stoppage. We get absolutely cooked out the back of a stoppage and it makes us play chase. Something needs to happen with that because I don't think Grigg is setting them up for success.
Doesn't help that Noah, Touk, Flanders and to an extent Rowell don't want to chase. Pretty damming that a first year mid in Graham is the only one who wants to work hard defensively.

I would say nobody really argues that Sexton is better than Rioli. Although interestingly, Sexton has more meters gained, a bit better score involvements and score assists. It's also worth to notice that at the moment all goes through Rioli at Tigers.

The issue is do we go all in and pay crazy overs. Pick 13 would be more than enough overs for me.

this is the way
I do not think Sexy is a better half back or even as good as Dan Rioli
I'm a terrible judge of footballer flesh but not quite that bad
My point is exactly that
If you're burning a first rounder and future picks and probably an extra $250k in salary cap surely youre expecting a game changer not just an upgrade?

this is the way
I do not think Sexy is a better half back or even as good as Dan Rioli
I'm a terrible judge of footballer flesh but not quite that bad
My point is exactly that
If you're burning a first rounder and future picks and probably an extra $250k in salary cap surely youre expecting a game changer not just an upgrade?
If we simply upgrade 3 of our players, then that’s the 20% of the team Dimma claimed right there though…. Is that enough to make us consistently competitive? We can only hope.

A halfback is a position of need. He may be the best halfback we can get. And he’s contracted to a bottom team.

I think Suns will go chips in on whoever they can get, because next year is imperative.

If we simply upgrade 3 of our players, then that’s the 20% of the team Dimma claimed right there though…. Is that enough to make us consistently competitive? We can only hope.

A halfback is a position of need. He may be the best halfback we can get. And he’s contracted to a bottom team.

I think Suns will go chips in on whoever they can get, because next year is imperative.
Good points.

As for 20%, I would argue why do we play Holman on the wing when Weller, Powell are available? What's the point? Surely Holman is not premiership wingman?

Good points.

As for 20%, I would argue why do we play Holman on the wing when Weller, Powell are available? What's the point?
No idea, honestly. He may just be plugging a hole for now (but I agree, we should play someone else there as a trial to see if they offer anything). I could see him not being best 22 next year, depending on who we recruit or draft.

He is a classic example of a player where the right “upgrade” would make us an instantly more dangerous side.

No idea, honestly. He may just be plugging a hole for now (but I agree, we should play someone else there as a trial to see if they offer anything). I could see him not being best 22 next year, depending on who we recruit or draft.

He is a classic example of a player where the right “upgrade” would make us an instantly more dangerous side.
Problem is that IMO Powell/Weller are close to perfect wingmen. Bloody Dimma 😂

Well, VFL season is done.

Expect some brutal exit interviews and a big turnover for the lower half of our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So did Rioli play on Flanders as all those commentators suggested? If yes, his defence has some issues.
Flanders and Rioli were among the two best players for their respective teams.

And Rioli did a whole lot more than our halfbacks did, despite Richmond going forward more than we did. Plus he got two goals as a defender, which is always nice. He’s a better attacking defender than who we play now.

I could see him fitting in. But need Uwland and a Lemmens type in defence to take the more lockdown roles. Rioli with Weller/Jeffrey in the same backline would likely be a mistake.

Flanders and Rioli were among the two best players for their respective teams.

And Rioli did a whole lot more than our halfbacks did, despite Richmond going forward more than we did. Plus he got two goals as a defender, which is always nice. He’s a better attacking defender than who we play now.

I could see him fitting in. But need Uwland and a Lemmens type in defence to take the more lockdown roles. Rioli with Weller/Jeffrey in the same backline would likely be a mistake.
Fair comments.

It does look like Rioli got licence to free wheel on Tigers team at the moment and everything goes through him. Flanders exposed him defensively but so Rioli exposed Flanders. It was fun to watch.

I suspect if some of our players in defence got license to go for it we would see more from them. For example, not overly excited seeing Powell in mostly defensive 1v1 role.

I say yes to Rioli, hopefully WB pick involved. Pick 7 rather not. He is not a game changer. You could see once we lifted in the middle after 1st qtr and equalled there we got on top. IMO, the middle is the key issue.

Last edited:
I say yes to Rioli, hopefully WB pick involved. Pick 7 rather not. He is not a game changer. You could see once we lifted in the middle after 1st qtr and equalled there we got on top. IMO, the middle is the key issue.
It definitely is. To dominate the hit outs and still lose in the middle was a problem. Rowell the only mid who seemed ready to take the game by the neck, and has felt that way for a few weeks.

But on paper our midfield should be good enough. Add in Humphrey and Graham regularly with Flanders, and maybe that’s enough. Still feel something is wrong there with our set up and how they are working together, but I’m not sure we’ll invest heavily there in the trade period unless someone literally falls in our lap. Plus Lombard is coming through. So midfield depth will be young but top end.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back