2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Why didn’t we draft this bloke… we had front row seats to his talent too.

Hope Dimma and Cameron find diamonds in the rough this trade/draft period

A perfect example of why we should be taking the best state league players and seeing if they can make it in the big time.

Take less money and have similar output to some of the guys we just delisted.

As long as he doesn’t play on Bodhi he will go OK. 5 goals in first half of vfl gf. Bodhi was put on him in second half and he got one more goal when game was over.

I think they are the exception, not the rule.
Of course. Tsitas was one of the better players in the SANFL. Wr can agree that his output was fine at VFL level and there was a chance he would get better.

He didn’t.

But it’s low risk, high reward. 2 years on a list and let em go if it doesn’t work out. Every so often you get a keeper though (Clohesy, for example)

We should try and have 1-2 on the list every year.

Of course. Tsitas was one of the better players in the SANFL. Wr can agree that his output was fine at VFL level and there was a chance he would get better.

He didn’t.

But it’s low risk, high reward. 2 years on a list and let em go if it doesn’t work out. Every so often you get a keeper though (Clohesy, for example)

We should try and have 1-2 on the list every year.

No more recruiting from sanfl for us. All duds

We pin our hopes on rioli yet geelong are bringing in bailey smith

We don’t have Cotton On money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the start of the year Craig McRae said that the comp is unfair, especially the fixturing. But every club has to make the most of whatever advantages they do have.

For the Suns, we probably have:
location and lifestyle (a lot of players like living on the GC);
a home ground advantage;
the academy (now that the work has been done to produce a steady stream of quality locals);
excess draft capital b/c we suck and keep getting top 8 picks (never been higher than 12th) but we don't need to use those early picks b/c of the academy discount.

Last trade and draft period, we made the absolute most out of trading excess draft picks.
We ended up with four 18 yos and a 21 yo, two of which are clear best 22 now (Clohesy and Graham).
Plus the Bulldogs pick, plus pick 20, and kept our own 1st and 2nd round picks.

That is our current advantage, excess high draft picks that clubs want.

Geelong has its own advantages that let it get Bailey Smith for a piss poor first rounder. If he wanted to come to us, do you reckon that would have been the price? No way.

I wish them and all the big Melbourne clubs the worst. Hope they lose on the last kick of the GF, or get into an all-in brawl and have 12 of their best players rubbed out for 10 games each (this is fair dinkum my AFL fantasy for most of these finals games).

We just have to make the most of our own advantages. If we win more games and make finals consistently, pretty sure the price tags will go down. For now, it is overs for every half decent player. If the Tigers want pick 6 to get the deal done, then we do it and haggle over what else is involved. It sucks, but it is what it is for a club that has gone nowhere on-field in 14 years.

View attachment 2102193

Hats off to the cats recruiting team.
Better then all the rest!

Just proves you need the whole house in order to compete with the best.

Top notch performance team recruiting and coaches.

Unfortunately for us… we are lagging.
For sure they look like great pick ups. So the other 16 teams failed too?

Did not we get Clohesy? How did other teams fail to draft him before us?

We also drafted 4 first round picks. I say pretty good draft for us last year.

I think they are the exception, not the rule.
From watching the SANFL there are plenty Lewis, K Ryan , Lowe , even a couple of your ex academy kids would go OK. Problem is when they get to 22 it's normally game over. Harry Grant would be a good addition aa a spare mid

For sure they look like great pick ups. So the other 16 teams failed too?

Did not we get Clohesy? How did other teams fail to draft him before us?

We also drafted 4 first round picks. I say pretty good draft for us last year.
I didn’t say last year wasn’t good.?
Failed?
Just saying how well Geelong is run. From the top down to the scouts.

Just apart from clohesy everyone else has been a swing and a miss when we look at mature players.

We need to nail this top end draft picks. Because we won’t have them forever.

Failed?

Just apart from clohesy everyone else has been a swing and a miss when we look at mature players.

That's why the club has invested so much in the academy. Why draft kids from interstate when we can develop home-grown talent that is ingrained within the Suns from an early age. Won't need top draft picks if we get it right.
We've also had more top draft picks than just about anyone. How has that gotten us so far.

Mature players are generally a bit of a gamble, but overall I think we have done pretty well. Collins, clohesy, Moyle are 3 pretty good ones, farrar and burgess have played some decent afl games also.
Yeah-I'm not sure how much gold you're supposed to get from sifting mullock heaps but I wouldnt say we've done badly over our short journey- Josh Corbett got another gig at Freo too and played decent footy with us

Failed?

Everybody acknowledges how well Cats are run. Some land deals probably help (is it actually truth?). It seems not other team is able to do the same regeneration. Credit to them. Still I don't like them.

You constantly bag Suns for not picking up some players who do well on other teams. I would like you to bag other teams too :) We did actually reasonably well as other people pointed out with Collins, Moyle, Farrar, Clohesy and others.

Actually, I wish you would say we did well, haha.

Yes, it was me telling we did good in last year draft.

I would like to see Dimma experiment with Farrar up forward he could be another Long, alwys has read the game well, doesnt shirk a contest, can find the goals and is fast - Obviously Dimma doesnt rate him though

The same Smith who was a shell of himself in 2023 and people were asking for him to be dropped.

Something in the Geelong water will no doubt get him up and going, but he was hardly at the peak of powers when he last played.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back