2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Dimma seems to be bringing a different approach to contracts. Previously we signed players two year contract extensions now he’s trying to lock away the core long-term, have to say I like it.
He was coming to FA, so you'd probably have to offer more than short term; otherwise they'll get rival interest

I believe Sexton reached a trigger. Hence why someone (with some credibility) reported he was contracted for 2025. But wasn’t reported on in full given he didn’t actually need to sign a new contract
I tried to look again today;

in 2023 he smoothed the contract over to 2024. No news since.

This is from yesterday, so someone at Foxsports must of had a proper look

Elsewhere, questions remain over the futures of Nick Holman, Alex Sexton and Levi Casboult, who remain without contracts for next season. Holman and Sexton were regular contributors at senior level this year, but Casboult didn’t play after Round 2.

Dimma seems to be bringing a different approach to contracts. Previously we signed players two year contract extensions now he’s trying to lock away the core long-term, have to say I like it.

With the Hobart team supposed to be coming in 2028 I think a lot of teams will start trying to sign players up to 2029/2030

Well, at the moment (especially if Luko does go) our next man up is Ethan Read.

Maybe we don’t want to be relying on two second year players in Walter and Read to carry the load.

He gives security at both ends. Costs nothing but salary as an UFA, and could be a good pick up because of that.

Could also sit in the VFL for several years…
People seem to want Luko to go. I for one can not see one proposed inbound player to take his spot - he hasn't played to potential but there are others a lot worse who seem to hang on far too long. I'll be very disappoined if he doesn't dig his heels in and say I'll staying and I'll prove you wrong. Send Luko out positive vibes re him - not so negative and that's coming from one of the more negative ones on here. Noble, Himmelberg, Martin etc etc. Pleeeeease.

People seem to want Luko to go. I for one can not see one proposed inbound player to take his spot - he hasn't played to potential but there are others a lot worse who seem to hang on far too long. I'll be very disappoined if he doesn't dig his heels in and say I'll staying and I'll prove you wrong. Send Luko out positive vibes re him - not so negative and that's coming from one of the more negative ones on here. Noble, Himmelberg, Martin etc etc. Pleeeeease.
The moves that seem to be happening, Rioli, Noble, Dusty and the signing on of Mac, Davies and Chucky appears to have put pressure on our cap again and it looks like Luko will be pushed out

To some degree it is self inflicted yet again due to Luko being significantly overpaid ( another Craig Cameron special?). If he was on the $700k he should be I think he would be staying. The only way I see him still at the club is if one or more of the following happens
1. he agrees to restructure the contract by adding another year, smoothing the money
2. The Rioli deal doesn’t get done 🤞
3. The tigers pay a large amount of Riolis contract

Personally if we are giving the tigers pick 6 for him they should be paying at least half his contract over the next 3 years

I would hope that Cameron is wheeling and dealing, for instance offering the Tigers pick 20 and next years first ( back ourselves to climb the ladder), this allows us to take pick 6 to the draft or ideally move back a little to get Tauru or Travaglia ( backs) and bank a f1 or 2nd. But the reality is they have let the media know about pick 6 to soften the blow when it happens. I now suspect that he will dump Luko like he did with Hollands last year for a bag of peanuts 🤢

Please let me be wrong 🙏

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The moves that seem to be happening, Rioli, Noble, Dusty and the signing on of Mac, Davies and Chucky appears to have put pressure on our cap again and it looks like Luko will be pushed out

To some degree it is self inflicted yet again due to Luko being significantly overpaid ( another Craig Cameron special?). If he was on the $700k he should be I think he would be staying. The only way I see him still at the club is if one or more of the following happens
1. he agrees to restructure the contract by adding another year, smoothing the money
2. The Rioli deal doesn’t get done 🤞
3. The tigers pay a large amount of Riolis contract

Personally if we are giving the tigers pick 6 for him they should be paying at least half his contract over the next 3 years

I would hope that Cameron is wheeling and dealing, for instance offering the Tigers pick 20 and next years first ( back ourselves to climb the ladder), this allows us to take pick 6 to the draft and pick up another gun, but the reality is they have let the media know about pick 6 to soften the blow when it happens. I now suspect that he will dump Luko like he did with Hollands last year for a bag of peanuts 🤢

Please let me be wrong
Get ready. Rioli and Noble deals will get done and we will pay overs.

Get ready. Rioli and Noble deals will get done and we will pay overs.
I know :(

I am hanging on to hope that we see an out of left field trade period like last year where Cameron did a decent job

I know :(

I am hanging on to hope that we see an out of left field trade period like last year where Cameron did a decent job
Both players are under contract. No chance we don't pay overs. It's only picks 😂

We got so many concessions in the past, it's not even funny. More picks don't translate to a better team.

Personally, I am tired of drafting top talent only having to wait 3-5 years for them to develop while half will not make it or will leave due to lack of opportunity or cap pressure.

We better play finals next year. Great if Noble and Rioli can help.

He's 30yo and played 54 games in the last 5 seasons.....surely the only reason we would even consider him, is if our Medical/Performance Dept think they can get him to a point where he plays 15-20 games a season and he's on minimum wage.......and that's not even bringing into the fact he deserted us when he was needed............as far as I'm concerned he can go fly a kite for the rest of his life.......don't want or need him anywhere near us..
He wants to stay in Victoria and No Thanks!

On AFL Gettable Cal Twomey has said Rory Atkins is looking at opportunities elsewhere with one year to go on his contract. Oh PLEASE Rory….find an opportunity ELSEWHERE!!!#ListClogger

Both players are under contract. No chance we don't pay overs. It's only picks 😂

We got so many concessions in the past, it's not even funny. More picks don't translate to a better team.

Personally, I am tired of drafting top talent only having to wait 3-5 years for them to develop while half will not make it or will leave due to lack of opportunity or cap pressure.

We better play finals next year. Great if Noble and Rioli can help.
Unless those contracted players are ours, then they cost nothing, that’s the frustrating part.

It been reported that we will give up pick 6 for Rioli, he’s not worth anywhere need that IMO, 12 is still well overs but is not in the conversation because other clubs look the Weller, Bowes trades and go straight to the extreme. It’s not a sustainable model to pay extreme overs and sell at extreme unders, there has to be a correction if we are ever to be a successful club

Rant over

On AFL Gettable Cal Twomey has said Rory Atkins is looking at opportunities elsewhere with one year to go on his contract. Oh PLEASE Rory….find an opportunity ELSEWHERE!!!#ListClogger
pretty sure Rory is only reportedly on what, 400k? that's lower than an average salary in the AFL.

People malign him for no reason. He's a fine back up player, who isn't likely to be an AFL starting player when we have a healthy list, playing for below AFL average salary.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back