Opinion 2024-25 off-season and wish ist.

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe that the club plays a few things wrong and one of them is what members actually want out of the club.

That is to feel like we are part of it.

There is next to nothing stopping the club from seeking volunteers from its supporter base, then training them on what they are looking for and then sending them out into local and junior footy.

There is nothing stopping them from asking the supporter base to volunteer for any number of things.

People would do it, people would put their hands up for opportunities to help.

It is an under used resource, I mean it wouldn't make us money, but it would likely augment our resources.
Mate the club would want to charge members extra to cover the cost of training and the "privilege" .... my interactions with the membership department over the past few years have me convinced members are nothing more than an inconvenient but necessary source of revenue to them.

Yep, the membership offerings are quite poor. The Hawks get a scarf as an option with the number of years they've been a member. It might seem like a small thing but it shows the effort placed by their membership department. Their members, especially the long ones, would be proud to wear that.

I hit 30 years as a member during 2024 and the recognition around something like that is non-existent.

The only thing they are doing well in, for mine, is the Kids Clinic which is quite good.

There's so many things they could do, for instance they know which members have scanned in for a game, why not send an email to each member who attended a game and thank them for their attendance on the weekend. Costs nothing but a little bit of effort from their behalf.
Nah, I love my key ring with years membership on that falls apart after 2 hours.....reminds me where we are. I'd honestly prefer nothing at all in the way of merchandise. The crap we get sent is kind of condescending, the cheapest rubbish possible,,,,,,many of us are members purely to support the club financially and that is just crap I wouldn't even give to a kid. Id rather nothing in the knowledge the club isn't wasting my money on crap. A quality piece of merchandise upon hitting membership milestones would be preferable. You sir for 30 years membership should get a signed jumper at a minimum and a hand written personal note of thanks from captain and coach. Really costs the club nothing and takes very little effort.

Mate the club would want to charge members extra to cover the cost of training and the "privilege" .... my interactions with the membership department over the past few years have me convinced members are nothing more than an inconvenient but necessary source of revenue to them.

I think this is a mistake.

Something you don't have to pay for is something that saves you money.

There are things we would be able to augment within the club with volunteers vs needing to pay for the same thing.

IF we had 1 person teach 20 volunteers how to write scouting reports we could have those 20 people attending games every weekend creating more depth within the recruiting area which could be refined over time.

1 volunteer per bay means that with around 100 people each bay on levels 1 and 2 would have a representative they could provide feedback about game day stuff too. more feedback means more data more data means more informed decisions.

We just had the fan survey about engagement. as part of it there should have been 2 questions:

1. If given the opportunity would you volunteer at the club?
  2. would you like to be contacted about volunteering opportunities?

We are at a historic low, I wholeheartedly believe members who attended more than a handful of games this year who had the time and were given opportunity to volunteer would jump at the chance.

We are a club, members belong to clubs, this is something that we can nail. The feeling of belonging to something greater than yourself rather than being a wallet.

Stop sucking ass and start winning games regularly.
Making finals and win a premiership.
That’s all that matters

Everything else is fluff and white noise

1:Sheezel to be captain but we all know McDonald will be.
2:Start with selection whoever is playing bad but them into the VFL no matter whoever it is EG:phillips,McDonald,Zuhaar.
3:Try and get a game or 2 on at Marvel before the AFL at Marvel starting with Good Friday the more entertainment you put on before the more $$$$ to the RCH .
4:Hopefully a better Draw.

ChRI$t when did this board become a Goth chat room. Talk about miserable !!

I'm going to buck the trend and say I'm looking forward to 2025. I saw enough this season to realize we are going to be ok.

It wont be a linear progression but we're starting to get enough talent to progress (hopefully)pretty rapidly.
Get a bit fitter, couple of decent draft picks and the development of some of our younger guys, and we're away.

and before you say It, I'm not normally the happy clapper type, but fu&k me after the shit year I've had I'd rather start thinking ( & reading) glass half full thoughts than the opposite

I think this is a mistake.

Something you don't have to pay for is something that saves you money.

There are things we would be able to augment within the club with volunteers vs needing to pay for the same thing.

IF we had 1 person teach 20 volunteers how to write scouting reports we could have those 20 people attending games every weekend creating more depth within the recruiting area which could be refined over time.

1 volunteer per bay means that with around 100 people each bay on levels 1 and 2 would have a representative they could provide feedback about game day stuff too. more feedback means more data more data means more informed decisions.

We just had the fan survey about engagement. as part of it there should have been 2 questions:

1. If given the opportunity would you volunteer at the club?
  2. would you like to be contacted about volunteering opportunities?

We are at a historic low, I wholeheartedly believe members who attended more than a handful of games this year who had the time and were given opportunity to volunteer would jump at the chance.

We are a club, members belong to clubs, this is something that we can nail. The feeling of belonging to something greater than yourself rather than being a wallet.
For sure I agree with you.....try convincing the club. Put your hand up for a board position if you have time and feel strongly enough. That I think would be a good start,,,,,a real, genuine spill of the board and positions open to genuine members to put their hand up for election. People with real passion and drive, not just leaving things up to the president, CEO and paid staff. Im on the board and executive of a local sports club...there are very few paid positions, and things only get done if people pitch in, volunteer, and feel strongly enough about improving and maintain a sense of belonging (we actually have a 16yo kid who turned down 25 grand to go and play for another club....we don't pay anyone anything!). Unfortunately I think AFL clubs administration are so much of a business these days that they've lost sight of delivering value to members, and would view any such scheme as a threat to their power bases.

My only wish for the future is the abandonment of excuses and a monumental culture shift at this organisation. This is no longer the club I chose to support, and I couldn’t have foreseen how weak and pathetic it would become.

Our “master coach” saying that there was “nothing to play for” in the final rounds is an insult to North supporters and an affront to the clubs culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only wish for the future is the abandonment of excuses and a monumental culture shift at this organisation. This is no longer the club I chose to support, and I couldn’t have foreseen how weak and pathetic it would become.

Our “master coach” saying that there was “nothing to play for” in the final rounds is an insult to North supporters and an affront to the clubs culture.

Best post by far

No more player votes for captain. Install Xerri as C, Sheezel as VC and have the leadership group made up of types who would walk over broken glass to beat you at marbles (Archer, Chom, Warlord come to mind).

Get creative with the list. Draft the small forward who has played 69 minutes of SANFL u/18s but who has the traits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2024-25 off-season and wish ist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back