Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

we have had 7 home games at Cararra >20k
top 3 v pies
next 2 this season v Rich and Ess

really hoping for a new record or at least 23k+
depends on member turnout i guess - and if any travellers are coming on the day itself and have flight issues (like last year's game where a few planes were cancelled on the day stranding around 500 from reports at the time)

1719448934012.png

I don’t agree. Let’s say the MCC Reserved had 4,500 empty seats (18,500 / 23,000 capacity). That leaves about 5,000 empty seats in the rest of the stadium for the total capacity if 100,000. 90,084 seems logical to me on what I saw.
More than 4,500 empty in the members.

Capacity crowds also count several thousand standing room tickets, which weren't sold for this game.

I'm sure there were plenty in bars etc. it just looks a bit off.

I don’t agree. Let’s say the MCC Reserved had 4,500 empty seats (18,500 / 23,000 capacity). That leaves about 5,000 empty seats in the rest of the stadium for the total capacity if 100,000. 90,084 seems logical to me on what I saw.

The mcg doesn't hold 100k outside of grand final day I didn't think.

More than 4,500 empty in the members.

Capacity crowds also count several thousand standing room tickets, which weren't sold for this game.

I'm sure there were plenty in bars etc. it just looks a bit off.
You need to remember that there’s probably another 1,500-2,000, on top of that 4,500 not sitting in their seats as they’re drinking in the 3-4 bars, Long Room etc. these people often don’t sit in their seats. MCC looked like it would’ve been 75% full to me last night.

More good news for swannies crowds. Restricted view seating has opened for their match vs Freo and should go very close to selling out by the time the ball is bounced.

Red (member) zone tickets have been near on impossible to secure this season and a fine Saturday afternoon is predicted in Sydney, meaning another 40k+ crowd is almost certain to be in attendance.

Swans are going to break all kinds of club attendance records this year, which is fantastic for footy in NSW.

The question is now with the consistency of sell-outs this season (even against sides like Freo) and an exciting team on the rise, do we need a bigger stadium?

Should the SCG receive the same redevelopment funding that other Sydney stadiums (Accor & Allianz) have received in the past 5 years?

Much to ponder.

More good news for swannies crowds. Restricted view seating has opened for their match vs Freo and should go very close to selling out by the time the ball is bounced.

Red (member) zone tickets have been near on impossible to secure this season and a fine Saturday afternoon is predicted in Sydney, meaning another 40k+ crowd is almost certain to be in attendance.

Swans are going to break all kinds of club attendance records this year, which is fantastic for footy in NSW.

The question is now with the consistency of sell-outs this season (even against sides like Freo) and an exciting team on the rise, do we need a bigger stadium?

Should the SCG receive the same redevelopment funding that other Sydney stadiums (Accor & Allianz) have received in the past 5 years?

Much to ponder.

Of course it should. I was wondering what they could do with the old members stands. I know they are heritage listed but they are just so small. Could they remove the roof and build a teir above them to join to the bigger stands on either side? It's very restrictive. The swans are the biggest show in town they deserve the best and highest capacity stadium possible. I think a 55k capacity would be about right.

Excuse the amatuer drawing.

20240627_230158.jpg

Last edited:
I think the giants could be big beneficiaries if the swans solidify this trend of sell out after sell out. It will just become easier to go to gws games.

I agree, but I think that would only be the case if that spillover of scg lockout people is at the same venue (SCG), or at a venue close enough (Henson park) for those people to wanna go.

Of course it should. I was wondering what they could do with the old members stands. I know they are heritage listed but they are just so small. Could they remove the roof and build a teir above them to join to the bigger stands on either side? It's very restrictive. The swans are the biggest show in town they deserve the best and highest capacity stadium possible. I think a 55k capacity would be about right.

Excuse the amatuer drawing.

View attachment 2032114
this will never happen, but they can definitely increase capacity on the other older (but not that old) areas.
what would be ideal capacity ? 55k?

this will never happen, but they can definitely increase capacity on the other older (but not that old) areas.
what would be ideal capacity ? 55k?
The two members stands won’t be touched. But there’s scope to increase capacity on the outer side by replacing the O’Reilly and Messenger Stands. You could comfortably add an additional tier across that side of the ground which would probably add another 6-7,000 additional seats, along with more corporate suites and hospitality rooms.

The two members stands won’t be touched. But there’s scope to increase capacity on the outer side by replacing the O’Reilly and Messenger Stands. You could comfortably add an additional tier across that side of the ground which would probably add another 6-7,000 additional seats, along with more corporate suites and hospitality rooms.

I don't get how they are so tiny and pretty shit to be honest, I sat in one and had to look around the wooden poles the whole time, yet the mcg could knock down and redevelop their members stand no issues?

The one good thing about those tiny scg members stands, it is so small and close to the action, you can hear every bump and tackle like it's right next to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know what Wikipedia’s source is for this claim, but it makes sense.

View attachment 2032582

View attachment 2032583
View attachment 2032587

For those less familiar with the ground, and can only picture the ground based off viewing footy games on the tv, the goals are to the left and right, and the camera is normally at the bottom.
Correct, and this is the focus are of likely next redevelopment as noted in your post.
IMG_0701.jpeg

Rain forecast in Melbourne this weekend will materially impact crowds in the open air MCG colloseum. .

Geelong fans won’t turn up tomorrow night with the forecast tomorrow making their decision to stay home a certainty. Bombers fans will turn up but the crowd will struggle to surpass 50,000 imo. It could be in the 40,000’s if the rain is constant and continuous beyond 4pm ish. Ticket sales have stagnated, obviously as the rain forecast solidified. I will predict 47,500.

Sundays forecast suggests passing showers. Ticket sales haven’t really been great and Tiger member show rate could be below normal given form and weather. This could struggle to get much beyond 70,000. I will predict 73,000.

Rain forecast in Melbourne this weekend will materially impact crowds in the open air MCG colloseum. .

Geelong fans won’t turn up tomorrow night with the forecast tomorrow making their decision to stay home a certainty. Bombers fans will turn up but the crowd will struggle to surpass 50,000 imo. It could be in the 40,000’s if the rain is constant and continuous beyond 4pm ish. Ticket sales have stagnated, obviously as the rain forecast solidified. I will predict 47,500.

Sundays forecast suggests passing showers. Ticket sales haven’t really been great and Tiger member show rate could be below normal given form and weather. This could struggle to get much beyond 70,000. I will predict 73,000.
You think 70,000 for Richmond/Car ?

Cats are in the eight where as Tigers are 17th!

It comes down to the pulling power of both ESS & CAR in these games. I don’t think Carl will bring 45-50,000 of their own surely to get it to 70 k on a drench fest weekend in Melbourne.

You think 70,000 for Richmond/Car ?

Cats are in the eight where as Tigers are 17th!

It comes down to the pulling power of both ESS & CAR in these games. I don’t think Carl will bring 45-50,000 of their own surely to get it to 70 k on a drench fest weekend in Melbourne.
Carlton will come in decent numbers. Comes down to the Tiger member show rate. Even its poor crowds have still been bringing in 30-35k of their favs so depending on the weather I think it can top 70,000.

I might be wrong though.

29,617 at the Gabba tonight. Looked like more.
Definitely looked like a standard 30k-ish crowd. I’d expect a similar crowd next week for the Crows game. Swans and Bombers crowds both have the potential to reach full capacity akin to the Lions v Cats match in 2019.

Another very solid SCG crowd of 35,477. Fremantle's second largest H+A crowd there.

And looks just about full in Gold Coast which is good to see.
Yeah definitely. At People First stadium for the game. First, it's a pretty neat stadium to watch footy at. It's no MCG or Adelaide Oval but then again what is.

Also, whilst Pies fans like myself outnumber the Suns fans, GC still have a solid turnout of supporters. Feels like 7:3 ratio when in previous years it would've been 8:2 or even 9:1.

If they start to win more games and make finals, you feel like the Suns may start to both grow theor crowds more consistently and make up a greater proportion of the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back