Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they sold some standing room tickets these last few days which is rare here (like optus in Perth where they also dont from memory). Good way of ensuring any member non-rollups can be accommodated. Not sure if it will be the 24k record from 2014 - from memory that night was heaving with people.

Well done to GC. Pulling 20K+

Top 5 biggest crowds at PFS

GC V Coll - 24032
GC V Coll - 23302
GC V Coll - 23029
GC V Coll - 22483
GC V Rich - 22086

It’s actually the 3rd sellout out of 6 at PFS this year. Quite promising actually.

Lions home crowds been good too. Swans likewise sellout regularly, good signs for footy in the northern states

Our Carrara home crowd average this year is now 17,280. If we get a total of 41,148 people through the gates from our final 3 games (13.7k a game) we will beat our highest ever Carrara crowd average of 16,092 set in 2014.

Vs Port (13k)
Vs Brisbane (16k)
Vs Melb (13k)

Might just fall short but it will be close. Either way after 14 years with still no finals yet, it’s a fantastic result for us this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our Carrara home crowd average this year is now 17,280. If we get a total of 41,148 people through the gates from our final 3 games (13.7k a game) we will beat our highest ever Carrara crowd average of 16,092 set in 2014.

Vs Port (13k)
Vs Brisbane (16k)
Vs Melb (13k)

Might just fall short but it will be close. Either way after 14 years with still no finals yet, it’s a fantastic result for us this year
Im hoping the club does a member can bring a friend free again for the port game as that could be the season low. 13-14k would be a good result. Also hope some SA based fans booked a GC trip back when Port were travelling better.

And really hoping lions fans make the trek down. Its a good timeslot being a Saturday twilight rather than a Sunday twilight or a Saturday night which are disaster slots for these games in either city. That could also be closer to 17k all going well for both teams. Not even sure what record crowd is at Carrara for a qclash - i presume 16-17 at best.

Melbourne game could be anything depending on the stakes on offer at the time.

Last night i was picturing a fairly simple stage 1 expansion of the stands that could add probably 2-3k of extra seats if they extended it up to the big screen. As marked below.
IMG_2704.jpeg
A second stage would obviously be to do the same thing the other side from the separate main grandstand with media and club rooms to where stage 1 would end and incorporate the big screen in that (or again stop at other side of big screen)

Second picture shows the two open areas from an earlier photo this year
IMG_2383.jpeg

That could add 5-6k maybe
Really hoping we one day have 30k seats including corporate areas, plus up to 2k standing (maybe do the new way of safe standing in stage 2 for dedicated area around and below the big screen).

That would be the dream and be good for the life of the stadium until a major reno in 30-40 years

Im hoping the club does a member can bring a friend free again for the port game as that could be the season low. 13-14k would be a good result. Also hope some SA based fans booked a GC trip back when Port were travelling better.

And really hoping lions fans make the trek down. Its a good timeslot being a Saturday twilight rather than a Sunday twilight or a Saturday night which are disaster slots for these games in either city. That could also be closer to 17k all going well for both teams. Not even sure what record crowd is at Carrara for a qclash - i presume 16-17 at best.

Melbourne game could be anything depending on the stakes on offer at the time.

Last night i was picturing a fairly simple stage 1 expansion of the stands that could add probably 2-3k of extra seats if they extended it up to the big screen. As marked below.
View attachment 2034763
A second stage would obviously be to do the same thing the other side from the separate main grandstand with media and club rooms to where stage 1 would end and incorporate the big screen in that (or again stop at other side of big screen)

Second picture shows the two open areas from an earlier photo this year
View attachment 2034764

That could add 5-6k maybe
Really hoping we one day have 30k seats including corporate areas, plus up to 2k standing (maybe do the new way of safe standing in stage 2 for dedicated area around and below the big screen).

That would be the dream and be good for the life of the stadium until a major reno in 30-40 years
Hard part is convincing QLD govrnment its ever worth it, espeically considering the Gabba is well ahead in priority for an upgrade.

Vs Port (13k)
Vs Brisbane (16k)
Vs Melb (13k)

I think most importantly, the suns fans at games is increasing. If simply relying on opposition fan turnout it isn't sustainable, so I judge it most on suns fans and giants fans at their own home games and if they're increasing. This is the most important metric imo.

Hard part is convincing QLD govrnment its ever worth it, espeically considering the Gabba is well ahead in priority for an upgrade.
I think the opportunity is around greater usage of PFS to warrant the ROI of extending it. The GC Mayor, Tom Tate was pressing the government for Olympic events to be held there and that extending the stands to complete the bowl would be much better than building new stadiums in Brisbane. Tate had the GC in mind and I think was on a runner. But Mikes, unfortunately had other ideas.

Well hopefully a change in Govt in Oct, 100 day review finds the new stadium in Vic Park solves Olympic and ongoing cricket/AFL issues for 30-40 years, gabba kept til 2031 and the partly sold for housing and some stays as parkland. And the fed govt contribution to the indoor arena is swapped to vic park (but still capped at same value) and the indoor arena is scrapped and swimming at an upgraded chandler and a future indoor arena can be a PPP arrangement with risk and reward to private component with a 30 year period before handback to state govt.
thats my dream on that whole fiasco.

Well hopefully a change in Govt in Oct, 100 day review finds the new stadium in Vic Park solves Olympic and ongoing cricket/AFL issues for 30-40 years, gabba kept til 2031 and the partly sold for housing and some stays as parkland. And the fed govt contribution to the indoor arena is swapped to vic park (but still capped at same value) and the indoor arena is scrapped and swimming at an upgraded chandler and a future indoor arena can be a PPP arrangement with risk and reward to private component with a 30 year period before handback to state govt.

I still think the new stadium in Brisbane will be built, Paris being on soon helps, the locals will realise how embarrassing it will be if they do it out in the sticks at a temporary venue. Don't underestimate the nrl influence in the background trying to scuttle it though, through their good mate John Coates.

I still think the new stadium in Brisbane will be built, Paris being on soon helps, the locals will realise how embarrassing it will be if they do it out in the sticks at a temporary venue. Don't underestimate the nrl influence in the background trying to scuttle it though, through their good mate John Coates.
Just have to get Miles turfed out then hopefully a rethink. Issue is cost of living and optics of money into stadium Vs health etc. new government might be able to withstand scrutiny as it won’t have to face electorate short term 🤔

Couldn’t agree more well said except I don’t think chandler upgrade is viable but the rest including what to do with Gabba is a no brainer in my opinion

Ci
At least, plus being at night not twilight. Twilight a lot better for Cats fans from the Geelong area.
At least, plus being at night not twilight. Twilight a lot better for Cats fans from the Geelong area.
Correct. As soon as it was slated for Saturday night, that took 5-10,000 Cats fans away. Then by Wednesday a soggy day was franked in people’s minds and ticket sales stopped to a walk. I thought ~55,000 was a pretty good crowd. Anything with a ‘5’ was a pass for me. It had strong headwinds against a strong crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back