Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke to Richmond Membership today, trying to get an extra guest pass to our 3121 membership on the weekend.

(Side note, for my glorious Grandma, 90 who stopped going to the Footy 20 years ago because she insisted she is too old, but just might go ‘one last time’ to see dusty.)

Though they looked after me and we got her some Disabilty access seating, there was no way I could get a normal guest pass and they were meeting this afternoon to establish if they will allocate reserved bay members, seats for this weekend with the anticipated ‘record member turn out’.

Everyone is coming home to thank our Dusty!
Will be a sensational atmosphere. 🖤

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's not too bad then, my parents have reserved seat memberships, the same seats for 20 years, got someone next to them that bought one of the buyback options at the north game a few wks ago. At least they were Essendon fans, but they were swearing and carrying on, the usual members in the area didn't like it and it resulted in a full on fist fight right next to them 😅. So I definitely think it diminishes it for the every home game reserved seat member, when you have people coming in creating a commotion. Do you know if the buyback is now restricted to Essendon members only?
Apparently the buyback is only offered to Essendon GA members. Thats what the membership edit say, but I reckon they get put back to market and anyone can get them.

Spoke to Richmond Membership today, trying to get an extra guest pass to our 3121 membership on the weekend.

(Side note, for my glorious Grandma, 90 who stopped going to the Footy 20 years ago because she insisted she is too old, but just might go ‘one last time’ to see dusty.)

Though they looked after me and we got her some Disabilty access seating, there was no way I could get a normal guest pass and they were meeting this afternoon to establish if they will allocate reserved bay members, seats for this weekend with the anticipated ‘record member turn out’.

Everyone is coming home to thank our Dusty!
Will be a sensational atmosphere. 🖤

All allocations exhausted on Ticketek. Assume more will be released soon?

All allocations exhausted on Ticketek. Assume more will be released soon?
There might be another release in a day or two, but this is firming to be an amazing crowd, assuming a good members turn up.

Of course Dusty's milestone is the big draw, but it shows the strength of the league to get a crowd of possibly 80k.

No other league in the country would even be able to get even half of that for a non-holiday H&A game where the home side is 2-11 and second last on the ladder.

I look at the upcoming Swans game for Essendon, it potentially has 70,000+ footy interest levels in it. If it’s a top 6 contest with the ‘Essendon Edge’ backchat backstory, it has the potential to have been a monster crowd. Ticket sales are already very strong at Marvel and it’s 8 weeks away so it is what it is.

But for the Bombers in a good year, it’s the difference between drawing 560-570k to home games compared to 650K or more. At least from next year this type of game could be at the G. And lots of footy fans of all persuasions can go and watch a genuine blockbuster.

lol

Ess/Syd will never be scheduled at the G unless the Bombers are a certainty for the bottom 4, same vs Brisbane.

The AFL's objective is to minimize attendance for Ess and Carl home games at the G (apart from big 4 games).

Work backwards from there and everything makes sense.

lol

Ess/Syd will never be scheduled at the G unless the Bombers are a certainty for the bottom 4, same vs Brisbane.

The AFL's objective is to minimize attendance for Ess and Carl home games at the G (apart from big 4 games).

Your cynical view is accepted and seconded 😃

lol

We’ve played Sydney at the MCG 3 times in the past 5 years, and our second last home game against Brisbane was also at the G.

But if you ignore all that, clearly a conspiracy.

lol

Didn't Essendon host Hawthorn in round 1 and aren't Carlton hosting Geelong and Hawthorn in the next month or two?

We’ve played Sydney at the MCG 3 times in the past 5 years, and our second last home game against Brisbane was also at the G.

The Swans / Lions are effectively like playing a Kangaroos / Bulldogs at the G.

Essendon drew 69,000 against the Swans in 1996, 63,000 in 1998, this before the MCC reserve was filled with provisional members and 3 game memberships that all have been factors in growing crowds in recent years. More recently, it drew 60,000 against the Swans in a 10 v 9 encounter which illustrates why if I were the AFL I’d consider making the Essendon / Sydney game at the G in 2025, Essendon’s 5th home game at the MCG per the expectation of the Club.

lol

This is just nonsense.

Tilt explained it earlier. The AFL needs to ensure non-Vic teams, particularly those that are contending, are playing multiple games at the MCG. This is a necessary outcome of the extension of the MCG grand final deal.

This is why Collingwood end up playing the Dogs at Marvel for one of its two home games. It is so games against Port and the Crows can be played at the MCG to give them MCG experience.

Maybe not bottom 4 like I said, but yeah Essendon have been pretty crap, that's why they were happy to schedule it at the G, also covid reduced crowds so there was no risk of a bumper turnout. I doubt the AFL will give you another one for a while vs Sydney while they are flying and the Bombers are playing pretty well.

Didn't Essendon host Hawthorn in round 1 and aren't Carlton hosting Geelong and Hawthorn in the next month or two?

Hawks/Don's is an annual round 1 fixture by the looks of it, the AFL had no choice because Hawks hosted it last year.

As for us, there's not actually that many options they could have given us this year. They couldn't give us an interstate team and risk 60-70k at the G, as their whole logic of forcing us to stay at Docklands is centered around it being big enough for interstate games. They also wouldn't let us host a Docklands tenant at the G in case their supporters like it too much and start requesting home games themselves. That only leaves a handful of clubs we can play.

This is just nonsense.

Tilt explained it earlier. The AFL needs to ensure non-Vic teams, particularly those that are contending, are playing multiple games at the MCG. This is a necessary outcome of the extension of the MCG grand final deal.

This is why Collingwood end up playing the Dogs at Marvel for one of its two home games. It is so games against Port and the Crows can be played at the MCG to give them MCG experience.

That's off topic. They could have fulfilled that criteria giving Essendon any number of interstate teams, but they gave them Freo because it would be too obvious what they were doing if they gave them West Coast coming off a year of multiple 100 point beltings. So they gave them Freo who were expected to finish down near the bottom and almost sacked their coach.

Maybe not bottom 4 like I said, but yeah Essendon have been pretty crap, that's why they were happy to schedule it at the G, also covid reduced crowds so there was no risk of a bumper turnout. I doubt the AFL will give you another one for a while vs Sydney while they are flying and the Bombers are playing pretty well.

Hawks/Don's is an annual round 1 fixture by the looks of it, the AFL had no choice because Hawks hosted it last year.

As for us, there's not actually that many options they could have given us this year. They couldn't give us an interstate team and risk 60-70k at the G, as their whole logic of forcing us to stay at Docklands is centered around it being big enough for interstate games. They also wouldn't let us host a Docklands tenant at the G in case their supporters like it too much and start requesting home games themselves. That only leaves a handful of clubs we can play.

That's off topic. They could have fulfilled that criteria giving Essendon any number of interstate teams, but they gave them Freo because it would be too obvious what they were doing if they gave them West Coast coming off a year of multiple 100 point beltings. So they gave them Freo who were expected to finish down near the bottom and almost sacked their coach.

This is, without a doubt, some of the most nonsensical shit I’ve ever seen on this board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. You just don't get it.

-Fremantle, who made the 8 last year, were always going to get MCG games after making the semi finals .
-2 of the 4 MCG tenant clubs play home games interstate (i.e. games that the AFL and those clubs would prefer were against non Vic clubs)
-The other 2 MCG tenant clubs are required to play home games at the Docklands (i.e. games those clubs would obviously prefer were against non Vic clubs exc Sydney / Brisbane)
-last year Freo played Collingwood, Melbourne and Hawthorn at the G
-Essendon hosting Freo at the G this year is perfectly consistent with the need for Freo to get MCG games inevitably against either the 4 MCG tennants or Essendon / Carlton (i.e. it is not part of some AFL conspiracy against Essendon and Carlton)

Collingwood Vs Essendon almost sold out too, this week I assume.
Looking good for the high 80Ks again.
There might be another release in a day or two, but this is firming to be an amazing crowd, assuming a good members turn up.

Of course Dusty's milestone is the big draw, but it shows the strength of the league to get a crowd of possibly 80k.

No other league in the country would even be able to get even half of that for a non-holiday H&A game where the home side is 2-11 and second last on the ladder.
You are of course 100% correct and we should apart from what AFL club you follow celebrate this fact as well.

Just looking forward to the future here.. Collingwood are set to smash their own home match attendance record this H&A season and could be the first team to ever average 70,000 or more.

So far the pies have hosted 6 matches for a total attendance of 374,092 (62,349 avg.). Two of those six were Marvel games.

The following home fixtures await the pies in the run home:

Collingwood vs Essendon (MCG) - 82-86k
Collingwood vs Geelong (MCG) - 75-83k
Collingwood vs Richmond (MCG) - 71-83k
Collingwood vs Carlton (MCG) - 84-89k
Collingwood vs Brisbane (MCG) - 62-83k *big dependance on lions form here

*bold denotes public sell-out already

Taking a mid-point of all these estimated crowds, we get a total season home attendance of 773,000, equating to an average crowd of 70,273 per game!

The previous highest season total and average were 720,698 and 65,518 respectively, set by Collingwood just last season.

How high will Collingwood go? How soon until this seasons' attendance record is surpassed?

North Melbourne vs Collingwood showing public tickets basically sold out for Sunday (just about 10 $200 premium seats left by the looks). Hopefully a good members showing after notching their first win lasts week. 40k+ will be a very handy bump to North’s season average.

Am I getting old or grumpy but when did tickets reach $200?

This is completely bonkers. Is this common?
I think the most I’ve ever paid home and away season is $90 and I thought that was ludicrous.

I guess we are so lucky with the G you can get a $30 GA usually when is an away game.
Its pretty laughable that a North Melbourne match could yield $200 for an ‘in demand’ ticket, but I guess that says more about Collingwood's current pulling power than anything else

A lot of confusion on Tiger Twitter re ticketing for Saturday.

Club email tonight confirms it is a fully ticketed game causing angst for members who thought they could just scan In on the day and looks like they have missed out and also members who have bought GA tickets with concern as they don’t have an allocated seat.

Hawk replacement members confused too.

I really did think they would just have a huge GA roll out and potentially steal a bay or two off the probably under-utilised MCC or AFL Reserve.

Restricted view went on sale briefly again today beside the screens but nothing else left again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back