Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

End our season? It’s over Raz, sorry to say it mate! Crowd will reflect the reality, not the fantasy.
LOL I know but I always just have that faint hope we can somehow turn it around. One win can get the masses fired up again, imagine if we get the dub on a cold Sunday arvo with only our fans there at the 'G and that emotion-filled roar of our Bomber army going crazy. It sucks me in and makes me keep coming for it.

LOL I know but I always just have that faint hope we can somehow turn it around. One win can get the masses fired up again, imagine if we get the dub on a cold Sunday arvo with only our fans there at the 'G and that emotion-filled roar of our Bomber army going crazy. It sucks me in and makes me keep coming for it.
You da man! You’re always positive and nobody would criticise you for that.

Honestly if there is Ever a chance for Collingwood V Carlton to get 90+ it’s this.

If Richmond can do that for our hero at 300, surely 90,000 is the absolute floor for pendles 400.

I bet it’s about 20-50 over the Richmond figure

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Us bottom or near bottom of the ladder also.
Pies still in it and Blues up there.

Also 6th consecutive AFL match above 10k at Manuka (2 seasons in a row).

With the hype surrounding this game ,this should push their season average to just above 13k at Manuka, once again beating GWS' Sydney crowd average for a 2nd consecutive year (even with round 0 boost).

This does beg the question, with Tasmania coming into the comp in 2028... And if there is room for a 20th AFL team, do Canberra have a serious case? Historically they have been more or less torn between the two major Australian sporting codes with NRL taking the edge since the inception of the Raiders in 1982. These GWS home crowds prove there is still a ton of support in the nations capital for an AFL team. Perhaps the issue would be an already financially dependant club losing their best income source? You could argue if Canberrans are given the same luxuries that Tassie has been given (ie. a world class stadium) that they could comfortably get 20k in attendance each week rallying behind their own team.

If it's good enough for Tasmania, why not Canberra? Canberra is a greater population centre than Hobart by a fair margin after all. Is there a reason in recent times there hasn't been much momentum coming from the Canberra camp?

Last edited:
Exciting news for the Lions with their upcoming home game vs GWS in Round 22 heading towards another sell-out.

This is a far cry from the extraordinary lows this matchup produced crowd wise just a few years ago. In the 3 Gabba games between 2016-2018 this fixture averaged just 10,972, bottoming out at 10,195 in Round 17, 2016. A crowd triple that average is now expected next week, how good!

With Brizzy selling out the Gabba fortnightly, the need for an upgraded capacity is ever persistent. Hopefully the QLD government can solve the current debacle and deliver a stadium that is suitable to the Lions long-term needs. You would think a minimum of 50k capacity is now required.

Exciting news for the Lions with their upcoming home game vs GWS in Round 22 heading towards another sell-out.

This is a far cry from the extraordinary lows this matchup produced crowd wise just a few years ago. In the 3 Gabba games between 2016-2018 this fixture averaged just 10,972, bottoming out at 10,195 in Round 17, 2016. A crowd triple that average is now expected next week, how good!

With Brizzy selling out the Gabba fortnightly, the need for an upgraded capacity is ever persistent. Hopefully the QLD government can solve the current debacle and deliver a stadium that is suitable to the Lions long-term needs. You would think a minimum of 50k capacity is now required.
I vaguely remember the 2018 game, Sunday twilight spot and felt like a ghost town at the Gabba. If memory serves correctly that was the game Andrews got KO’d in by Jezza which brought the 10k strong crowd into the game in which we held our own against a rampaging Giants side at the time.

Fast track to where we are now where Lions games are selling out consistently and becoming events in their own right, it really shows how far footy in QLD has come in the past decade and the flow on effect it’s had across the rest of the state!

Also 6th consecutive AFL match above 10k at Manuka (2 seasons in a row).

With the hype surrounding this game ,this should push their season average to just above 13k at Manuka, once again beating GWS' Sydney crowd average for a 2nd consecutive year (even with round 0 boost).

This does beg the question, with Tasmania coming into the comp in 2028... And if there is room for a 20th AFL team, do Canberra have a serious case? Historically they have been more or less torn between the two major Australian sporting codes with NRL taking the edge since the inception of the Raiders in 1982. These GWS home crowds prove there is still a ton of support in the nations capital for an AFL team. Perhaps the issue would be an already financially dependant club losing their best income source? You could argue if Canberrans are given the same luxuries that Tassie has been given (ie. a world class stadium) that they could comfortably get 20k in attendance each week rallying behind their own team.

If it's good enough for Tasmania, why not Canberra? Canberra is a greater population centre than Hobart by a fair margin after all. Is there a reason in recent times there hasn't been much momentum coming from the Canberra camp?

Every man and his dog knows that for the time being, its GWS world. Might change at the end of their current deal in 2032.

Lions are going to get a crowd in rd22 that any of the big 4 Vic clubs would be happy with vs GWS.

This is a far cry from the extraordinary lows this matchup produced crowd wise just a few years ago. In the 3 Gabba games capacity is now required.

When i say "onfield performance is everything" that's shorthand for "consistent onfield performance is responsible for gaining and losing fans", though a premiership is responsible for drawing fans out of thin air.

There's a few clubs that could potentially set a new club H & A attendance record this year - in rough order of likelihood:

1722554091897.png

We're looking at around 8 teams setting new records. If we get that it will be the third best result ever, after the 11 set in 1997 (inc 1 new club) and 9 in 1998.

That's both H & A attendance, in just home attendance Carlton, Sydney, Freo and possibly Collingwood will set new records for themselves. If Collingwood gets there it will be a new overall record.

*Gather round games included in overall totals but not in Home totals, even for Adelaide and Port.

There's a few clubs that could potentially set a new club H & A attendance record this year - in rough order of likelihood:

View attachment 2065894

We're looking at around 8 teams setting new records. If we get that it will be the third best result ever, after the 11 set in 1997 (inc 1 new club) and 9 in 1998.

That's both H & A attendance, in just home attendance Carlton, Sydney, Freo and possibly Collingwood will set new records for themselves. If Collingwood gets there it will be a new overall record.

*Gather round games included in overall totals but not in Home totals, even for Adelaide and Port.
Essendon’s high watermark is 1.169M. That can’t be exceeded in any case (excl Gather Round).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is Friday night footy and it is Footscray vs Melbourne at the Dome.

I am expecting 31-33,000 tonight! No excuses.
I've been to plenty of Docklands games vs. Melbourne when it's clear that there's only a few thousand Melbourne fans in the crowd. I've been to games there where there's more Brisbane and Swans fans in the crowd.

When you get to sit in the MCC reserve for 10+ games a season, not many make the extra trip over to not sit in the reserve for an away game that isn't covered in existing memberships for a game that you're heavy underdogs in.

I don't think this will top 30,000.

It is Friday night footy and it is Footscray vs Melbourne at the Dome.

I am expecting 31-33,000 tonight! No excuses.
We barely ever reach 30K against the dogs at Marvel and I doubt tonight will change that especially based on ticket sales.

We will bring max 5k tonight, the last few years at Marvel we have been much better with how many of us have turned up and that's because our win percentage there since 2017 is excellent.

I will be there, but I am a sucker of punishment seemingly lol.

Might be a few people late to tonight’s Eagles game at Perth Stadium.

No event buses will be running before the game as they are all busy doing peak hour services. This happens every mid week night game.

And 30mins before the AFL starts is a NRL game at Perth Oval, which is best served by Claisebrook Station which is one stop before Perth Stadium. Hopefully NRL patrons transferring trains at Perth Station are directed to the Midland Line which also serves Claisebrook Station but spurs off before Perth Stadium which is on the Armadale Line. And then AFL patrons are directed to the Armadale Line and the Stadium Shuttle trains.

IMG_4559.png

IMG_4560.png

Another issue might be after the games. The AFL should finish about 9pm, and the NRL about 8pm so all in all not bad. But Claisebrook and McIver Stations gets closed near the end of events at Perth Stadium to ensure the event trains can cross onto the Midland Line tracks and bypass through Perth Station to get to the Fremantle and Joondalup Lines.

If any NRL fans linger more than 45mins at Perth Oval after the game, hopefully Stadium and Transperth staff direct them away from Claisebrook and towards East Perth Station on the Midland Line which remains open, so they are just stranded. I guess they can always use the free CAT bus from Claisebrook Station to Perth Station as it winds through East Perth.

IMG_4561.jpeg

Last edited:
Might be a few people late to tonight’s Eagles game at Perth Stadium.

No event buses will be running before the game as they are all busy doing peak hour services. This happens every mid week night game.

And 30mins before the AFL starts is a NRL game at Perth Oval, which is best served by Claisebrook Station which is one stop before Perth Stadium. Hopefully NRL patrons transferring trains at Perth Station are directed to the Midland Line which also serves Claisebrook Station but spurs off before Perth Stadium which is on the Armadale Line. And then AFL patrons are directed to the Armadale Line and the Stadium Shuttle trains.

View attachment 2066283

View attachment 2066285

Another issue might be after the games. The AFL should finish about 9pm, and the NRL about 8pm so all in all not bad. But Claisebrook and McIver Stations gets closed near the end of events at Perth Stadium to ensure the event trains can cross onto the Midland Line tracks and bypass through Perth Station to get to the Fremantle and Joondalup Lines.

If any NRL fans linger more than 45mins at Perth Oval after the game, hopefully Stadium and Transperth staff direct them away from Claisebrook and towards East Perth Station on the Midland Line which remains open, so they are just stranded. I guess they can always use the free CAT bus from Claisebrook Station to Perth Station as it winds through East Perth.

View attachment 2066308

I wonder if the AFL and Perth media give the same treatment to the NRL coming into Perth as the NRL and Sydney media gave to the Giants going into Western Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back