Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm referring to the fact cricket makes it's money off afl and barely any off cricket itself. Plus it gets all it's oval stadiums and cricket grounds for free and renovations off the back of AFL's big crowds. They also don't contribute to stadia like the afl do, look at Tassie as a recent example, the afl 20 mill, cricket nothing. But they are happy the roof will be high enough for them to use it.

That isnt true at the MCG in particular where several hundred thousand members contribute substantially towards the MCC and the MCG, and where its management of the ground is effectively enshrined in an act of parliament.

THe SCG is also not AFL funded. Neither was Perth Stadium to which the AFL didnt give a cent. Adelaide Oval the AFL came in late with 5 million for change rooms or parking or some rubbish. The SCG and Gabba developments....

I mean the list goes on.

That isnt true at the MCG in particular where several hundred thousand members contribute substantially towards the MCC and the MCG, and where its management of the ground is effectively enshrined in an act of parliament.

THe SCG is also not AFL funded. Neither was Perth Stadium to which the AFL didnt give a cent. Adelaide Oval the AFL came in late with 5 million for change rooms or parking or some rubbish. The SCG and Gabba developments....

I mean the list goes on.

And do you honestly think there would be that many mcc members paying those kind of prices if not for the afl. They'd be forking out big dollars for a test or two and some bbl each year? Lol good one. Their own report stated their massive profits came off the back of a bumper afl year.

Perth stadium was built due to the popularity of footy not cricket. Adelaide oval, do you think it would have been rebuilt to a 50k stadium if not for the crows and power's popularity? It was actually the perfect size for cricket in its original form and the afl put in 5 mill that they shouldn't have.

Even the scg wouldn't survive if the swans weren't the biggest tenant averaging 40k, same with the lions and the gabba and 90 percent of their games being sellouts. Which sport keeps bringing in the money to these stadiums out of cricket and footy?

Note* I'm actually a cricket fan, but to think they haven't been running off the coat tails of the AFL for at least the past decade, whilst not even being able to name a stand after a footy player as thanks, is some good comedy.

Whats the crowd like at the MCG today?
There’s no one in the MCC but looks decent everywhere else as far as I can tell from level 2 of the Warne Stand. Around 60k?

Looking forward to a semi big turnout for a couple old fashioned rivals this arvo at the ‘G!

Weather is fine too!

I reckon someone could get a grant to study the apocalyptic way Essendon fans describe the weather when they are playing in their indoor stadium compared to the way they describe it when other teams are playing outside.

There’s no one in the MCC but looks decent everywhere else as far as I can tell from level 2 of the Warne Stand. Around 60k?

I reckon someone could get a grant to study the apocalyptic way Essendon fans describe the weather when they are playing in their indoor stadium compared to the way they describe it when other teams are playing outside.
Nice little jibe there, thanks Manic.
Good one! No weather excuses today btw, the suns out 🤔

Collingwood vs Richmond = 58,342

Not a bad crowd at all.

I don’t wanna start a crowd split shit show, but judging by how the stands have cleared out up top 15-20K Tiges actually rocked up too - which shocked.

Not too many leagues in the world get 58,000 for 13 V 18.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is interesting but believable. I noticed all the websites online still have it down as 19,500 though so this will definitely be misleading people. I think for me the big dissapoitment was the amount of reserved north members that didn't turn up for a game against Geelong and considering north has been more competitive recently.
Yeah, that was the big issue for yesterday's game. The North members and Cricekt Tas members get whole bays to themselves, perhaps too many? It hadn't been an issue for 5 years or so.

If we get a big match down here(I won't be surprised if Richmond play here next year TBH), I reckon they will "run the margins" a bit finer.

The whole match really showed the shortcomings of Blundstone Arena. The lineup for food and drink was ungodly. So many people left at half time and returned with food from elsewhere.

Nice little jibe there, thanks Manic.
Good one! No weather excuses today btw, the suns out 🤔

Yep, rain killed it. Started 90 min before game time when people making decisions. The way it goes!

Yes, I thought you might like to prove my point for me. 😉

Don’t worry, it’s all good fun.

Disappointed we couldn’t quite get to 60k today. This is the first Collingwood game at the G not to get 60k since Mother’s Day against GWS last year, breaking a run of 21 games.

I'm referring to the fact cricket makes it's money off afl and barely any off cricket itself. Plus it gets all it's oval stadiums and cricket grounds for free and renovations off the back of AFL's big crowds. They also don't contribute to stadia like the afl do, look at Tassie as a recent example, the afl 20 mill, cricket nothing. But they are happy the roof will be high enough for them to use it.
Just on Hobart,

Cricket did not ask for a new stadium. The AFL did. As such, Cricket is in the power position to demand what they want
really. AFL needs the stadium, not Cricket Tas.

The MCC's several hundred thousand membership is overwhelmingly driven by a rolling long term AFL contract

Disappointed we couldn’t quite get to 60k today. This is the first Collingwood game at the G not to get 60k since Mother’s Day against GWS last year, breaking a run of 21 games.
Reckon it was about par given the form of both teams.
Also expecting a massive Collingwood turn out for Pendlebury next week.

Under the circumstances it was still a solid turnout 👍

Yeah, that was the big issue for yesterday's game. The North members and Cricekt Tas members get whole bays to themselves, perhaps too many? It hadn't been an issue for 5 years or so.

If we get a big match down here(I won't be surprised if Richmond play here next year TBH), I reckon they will "run the margins" a bit finer.

The whole match really showed the shortcomings of Blundstone Arena. The lineup for food and drink was ungodly. So many people left at half time and returned with food from elsewhere.

I hope we can get some bigger teams leading into the introduction of the tassie team. It's going to be interesting to see if they continue with the north deal after next season or will they come up with a different arrangement.

When we got there just after midday it rained/hailed for like 5 mins. We stayed in the car, I assured my wife its just a passing shower :eek: as we had our 3 children, the youngest being 2 years old. I can deal with the cold it was 10 degrees just rug em up but rain in the open wouldn't be good especially for the little ones. Luckily it cleared pretty quickly and it was dry throughout the game.

Level 4/Q Sec in the Southern and Olympic stands were full to the brim. AFL members was ok too.

Overall it was pretty solid crowd.

When we got there just after midday it rained/hailed for like 5 mins. We stayed in the car, I assured my wife its just a passing shower :eek: as we had our 3 children, the youngest being 2 years old. I can deal with the cold it was 10 degrees just rug em up but rain in the open wouldn't be good especially for the little ones. Luckily it cleared pretty quickly and it was dry throughout the game.
Must have got in at a similar time because it was hailing when I arrived as well.

Thankfully, the rain held off once the game started.

It's interesting that some people are saying the crowd for the weekends game in Hobart was down as 12,300 on the scoreboard and another also told me LAFM up here in Launceston also reported as 12,300. I wonder who is more likely to be correct with this because I believe it looked like more than 10,045 when comparing it to past crowds there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back