Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

This set me on a path to see how all clubs are tracking since Port entered and Fitzroy/Brisbane merged.

And here is everyone, broken into groups of 6.

View attachment 2092498

So I sense no one else cares about this graphs I made up, but I’m going to provide a monologue anyway.

I was just having a closer look and I noticed North Melbourne dropping to under 10,000 in 2002. I thought that must have been a data entry error on my behalf. But no.

In 2002 North Melbourne played:

Away- Port Adelaide, Sydney, West Coast and Brisbane.

Home in Canberra- Adelaide, Fremantle and West Coast.

Home in Sydney- Sydney.

Home in Melbourne- Port Adelaide.

It just happens the Home game in Melbourne against Port was at Princess Park with a crowd of 9,398. So a sample size of 1 for that season.

Also, it seems like the non-Melbourne teams tend to have smoother lines. They go up and down, but generally take several seasons on a trend up or down or flat.

Where as Melbourne teams seem to have periods where they fluctuate on a year by year basis. Such as:
Essendon 2005-2015
Hawthorn 1998-2008
North Melbourne 1997-2008
Melbourne 2000-2013
Richmond 2012-2017
Bulldogs 2004-2012

Last edited:

AFL Members for WB/Haw went on sale at 12pm and are almost immediately all gone.

Standing room nearly exhausted. The 'House Full' signs about to be put up.

Last edited:
AFL Members for WB/Haw went on sale at 12pm and are almost immediately all gone.

Standing room nearly exhausted. The 'House Full' signs about to be put up.

And again we will see 92-93K

There should literally be no reason all finals at the G shouldn’t be able to get in touching difference of 100K.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And again we will see 92-93K

There should literally be no reason all finals at the G shouldn’t be able to get in touching difference of 100K.

The mcg only holds over 100k on grand final day. Isn't the capacity 96k or something all other times?

Reckon MCC will sell out for Dogs/Hawks. Within an hour only back half of the top deck available. Club members tickets also selling fast. Won’t be much left for the public at 3pm. Reckon it will pass 95k.

All four finals will be sold out today.

Reckon MCC will sell out for Dogs/Hawks. Within an hour only back half of the top deck available. Club members tickets also selling fast. Won’t be much left for the public at 3pm. Reckon it will pass 95k.

All four finals will be sold out today.
Sold out.

No. There are 95k seats ns 5k standing room. Sometimes they don’t release standing. Usually the MCC or AFL members is not quite full but Hawks/Dogs both are sold out. Going to be huge!

So they released the same amount of standing as gf day?

So they released the same amount of standing as gf day?
They pack in standing room for GF day but sell a few thousand less for other tickets, but it's not a huge difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But why?

It doesn’t make any sense. If you have the supply and you have the demand - take the dam $$

Makes me really wonder if there is 100K there GF day

I got standing room in AFL for Blues v Swans last year. The section I was in was temporary with small metal fences cordoning off the area with an attendant checking. Not sure if the rest of the ground was like that and don’t think they would fit many more on GF day. That crowd was 94k from memory.

Apparently gf day the ground is absolutely packed in like sardines due to the extra standing room areas being opened and filled to capacity, I remember reading it on Bigfooty after last years gf.

But why?

It doesn’t make any sense. If you have the supply and you have the demand - take the dam $$

Makes me really wonder if there is 100K there GF day

Several thousand more people walking around the ground without specifically being in a seat, and the existing standing room people being packed in, isn't a great overall experience, which you can get away with for a GF, but not for other finals I think.

This will no doubt be up for debate, but the swans are a bigger club than port these days, aren't they?
Easily

The Swans are bigger than most Victorian clubs (who are pretty much all bigger than the Power)

Just look at club membership and the social media - even in Melbourne, the Swans AFL and MCC membership are level to or ahead of North and the Dogs

Has anyone seen a breakdown on ticketing splits/member uptake between clubs for any finals yet?

Seemed to get that info for a fair few finals last year eg. 14k carlton member allocation at the Gabba. 5k GWS members @ the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back