Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Wookie. Thanks for putting this together. Great to see. If you are pulling the average numbers for brisbane home games from afl tables that website includes gather round as a home game (crowd of 9000 at Norwood impacts the average). Pull the Lions home average from the gabba part of the website and you will find the average is 1000 higher for the last two years.

Here's the link: https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/vn_gabba.html

Really enjoy the crowd stat's you put up on this website.

I pulled both the 2023 and 2024 gather round matches before publuishing.

Projecting forward a long way here, but the only other MCG final before the GF, is the Geelong prelim.

It’s a high likelihood it’ll be against an interstate team (Sydney, GWS or Brisbane), I wonder what sort of crowd they could pull

Projecting forward a long way here, but the only other MCG final before the GF, is the Geelong prelim.

It’s a high likelihood it’ll be against an interstate team (Sydney, GWS or Brisbane), I wonder what sort of crowd they could pull
V sydney 88
V brisbane 80
V gws 75

V carlton 99

The problem with prelim is it’s a big step up in pricing. $200 a ticket makes the neutral more than likely to stay away, obviously not so much an issue for AFL Reserve and MCC members.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Excluding Grand Finals, last night was the:
  • 18th highest final in history
  • highest elimination final in history
  • highest first week final since finals were expanded to more than 4 teams
  • 2nd highest final since 1973 (only behind Geelong/Collingwood PF in 2007)

Top ten finals excluding GF from final 5 onwards:

1725692121891.png

Top ten Elimination or Qualifying finals:

1725692200752.png

Excluding Grand Finals, last night was the:
  • 18th highest final in history
  • highest elimination final in history
  • highest first week final since finals were expanded to more than 4 teams
  • 2nd highest final since 1973 (only behind Geelong/Collingwood PF in 2007)

Top ten finals excluding GF from final 5 onwards:

View attachment 2103912

Top ten Elimination or Qualifying finals:

View attachment 2103915
It really is incredible to compare MCG attendances from 2013 onward (especially 2016) compared to the four years leading up to the redevelopment.

The most famous Preliminary Final of all (the ‘99 Carl v Ess game) only drew 80,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we definitely need bigger stadiums in Sydney and Brisbane, both clubs have outgrown them.
Heavily agree. 50k stadiums in each state bringing them in line with the rest of the country has to be the minimum. The olympic stadium fiasco in the sunshine state isn’t helping move this forward unfortunately

Heavily agree. 50k stadiums in each state bringing them in line with the rest of the country has to be the minimum. The olympic stadium fiasco in the sunshine state isn’t helping move this forward unfortunately
Just build and copy another Optus Stadium in Brisbane.

Let’s forward think and build a 60,000 in Brisbane, another 60,000 in Sydney, figure out how to turn AO and Marvel into 60K and become FIFA compliant at the same time while having space for organic growth over next 20 years.

One thing I really noticed Friday night was the amount of space and ease of access in the Olympic Stand compared to the Shane Warne Stand.

I was with my Bulldogs friend in her wheelchair thinking it would be hell, but there is barely any standing room ‘stands on that side and the walkways are double the width.

They could easily allow more standing on level M of Olympic stand.

With the new teams it's harder to make finals making each one more rare, also the game has been growing in particular the hawks and bulldogs over the last 20 years
Credit to the Hawks and Bulldogs fans last night
It really is incredible to compare MCG attendances from 2013 onward (especially 2016) compared to the four years leading up to the redevelopment.

The most famous Preliminary Final of all (the ‘99 Carl v Ess game) only drew 80,000
Strange but Ess and Carlton drew more in several H/A games in the 90's and 2000. In fact Ess, Carlton and Collingwood drew more 80,000 plus crowds in H/A from 1990 to 2000.

The big finals crowds since 2015 could be attributed to the following:
Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton's huge following like the golden age of finals crowds of the 70's early 80's whenever there is an uptick of finals crowds these clubs always bring the most crowds. Essendon will too like the 83 GF.

Hawthorn and Bulldogs growing supporter bases eg Friday night

Other factors neutrals and online purchasing of tickets Online purchasing was non existant in the 90's.

The big finals crowds since 2015 could be attributed to the following:
Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton's huge following like the golden age of finals crowds of the 70's early 80's whenever there is an uptick of finals crowds these clubs always bring the most crowds. Essendon will too like the 83 GF.

Hawthorn and Bulldogs growing supporter bases eg Friday night

Other factors neutrals and online purchasing of tickets Online purchasing was non existant in the 90's.

I don’t think it’s so much about those factors as it is access.

There are countless finals prior to Friday night that in sheer demand would have got more through the gates, what they continue to improve (at a freaking slow rate) is how people access them and ensuring it is closer to capacity than it is in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back