Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Rd 2 AFLW.

Bulldogs vs Port has been excluded due to being a double header with the AFL final at the MCG, but the AFL website lists the crowd in the 23,000’s

IMG_5420.jpeg

About 3,000 are in the queue for the other Semi (so you would imagine that would swallow the remaining tickets).

So maybe 15,000 to 18,000 for the GWS v Lions?

(You would imagine the Lions would have slightly more NSW fans than the Eagles)
You would hope there was some growth in support for GWS over the last seven years, which would mean 18k+, but sales are looking very low.

Port v Hawks will sell out today - down to single seats in all categories except Cat 4 where you can get three tickets together. Going by the allocation of Hawks/Port sections, there will be at least 10k Hawks fans there.

EDIT - Friday sold out!

Last edited:

The lowest attended Semi Final weekends in history:

View attachment 2105663

There's a decent chance this year could be the lowest since WWII.
Looking at that table, all the other semi final weekends outside of the WW2 period bar one have involved the MCG on at least one occassion, and most of those are in the AFL era.

So while there will predictably be alot of fretting and finger pointing at a lowish crowd at the Showgrounds this Saturday, let's not forget that the so named home of footy is more than capable of quite unimpressive crowds.

About 3,000 are in the queue for the other Semi (so you would imagine that would swallow the remaining tickets).

So maybe 15,000 to 18,000 for the GWS v Lions?

(You would imagine the Lions would have slightly more NSW fans than the Eagles)

Would have thought also you'd get a few thousand Lions fans making the trip down. I assume this is an indicator of demand but flight prices on Saturday morning from Brisbane are through the roof.

Giants game looks to be selling fine thus far. It was never going to sell out in one day but with some promotion over the rest of the week it should end up fine.

My main concern at the moment is with whoever is in charge of releasing tickets (Ticketmaster? AFL? GWS? Not sure who to blame). From what I can see they have not opened up every stand for sale yet. Happy to be corrected if I've got this wrong, but the Cumberland stand remaining closed in favour of the two upper stands on the broadcast side seems stupid to me. You would much rather the big stand that will constantly be in picture on TV to be populated.
Also, the cheapest tickets currently available are Cat.2 seats, which are expensive. If I was a rugby fan interested in checking out this final as no NRL games are on in Sydney that day, I would be turned off by the price point. They're purposely turning away sales when they could open up areas, like the Fairfax stand which is classed as Cat. 3 and is a good $20 cheaper per seat. Keeping stands closed like this is foolish. If you're going to keep any closed it should be the two behind the camera, but ironically these are the two where sales are currently being funnelled to due to a lack of other options.

1725875177240.png

Camera side of the lower tier seems to just be mostly single seats, which is great (as long as they're not doing something stupid here as well and purposely holding onto rows of unsold seats here - would be baffling if so).
1725875319143.png

Giants game looks to be selling fine thus far. It was never going to sell out in one day but with some promotion over the rest of the week it should end up fine.

My main concern at the moment is with whoever is in charge of releasing tickets (Ticketmaster? AFL? GWS? Not sure who to blame). From what I can see they have not opened up every stand for sale yet. Happy to be corrected if I've got this wrong, but the Cumberland stand remaining closed in favour of the two upper stands on the broadcast side seems stupid to me. You would much rather the big stand that will constantly be in picture on TV to be populated.
Also, the cheapest tickets currently available are Cat.2 seats, which are expensive. If I was a rugby fan interested in checking out this final as no NRL games are on in Sydney that day, I would be turned off by the price point. They're purposely turning away sales when they could open up areas, like the Fairfax stand which is classed as Cat. 3 and is a good $20 cheaper per seat. Keeping stands closed like this is foolish. If you're going to keep any closed it should be the two behind the camera, but ironically these are the two where sales are currently being funnelled to due to a lack of other options.

View attachment 2106158

Camera side of the lower tier seems to just be mostly single seats, which is great (as long as they're not doing something stupid here as well and purposely holding onto rows of unsold seats here - would be baffling if so).
View attachment 2106160

Completely agree, it's nuts how stupid it is, in a final, to fill the stands on the camera side and leave the ones that will be on tv completely empty. The only hope is they do what they did in the cats W and change the broadcast side, something the giants have requested previously from 7 and been refused. The new 7 boss Jones seems a bit more switched on though so it's a small possibility he will oblige.

View attachment 2106158

View attachment 2106160
Excluding single seats, the cheapest tickets available at the moment are $82. They look to be selling pretty quickly, but they really should open up that second level at accessible prices.

Edit: there’s a few more rows of $35 and $66 opened up now. It must be fairly automated.

Edit again: back to the cheapest ticket being $82.

Last edited:
Excluding single seats, the cheapest tickets available at the moment are $82. They look to be selling pretty quickly, but they really should open up that second level at accessible prices.
Yep they're absolutely shooting themselves in the foot. There are so few seats available to choose from at the moment, and all are very expensive. To your average person they'd load up this page and assume the game was nearly sold out and not bother. Meanwhile they're sitting on thousands of unsold seats for no good reason. These better open up tomorrow morning.

Pretty much the whole of the bottom level all the way around seems to have been sold for the giants game, so that's tracking pretty well, one day in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the ticketmaster map for the Showgrounds game on Saturday, the Cumberland stand (opposite the camera side) has been opened up. Appears to be selling reasonably well.

it's what airlines do.
No not at all. Airlines block seats depending on your status. eg, you could be a Qantas Bronze and all you can see are the last few rows in the cabin whilst the front of the cabin shows as completely full. Yet a Platinum One / Chairmans Lounge can see that every seat in the cabin is available to be selected, a platinum can see 90% of the cabin, gold 75% and so on.

Stadiums do this so they don't have to staff a particular area which makes it cheaper to host the event.
Airlines reward those who fly with them by doing this. An airline doesn't hold back entire blocks of seats for sale to make it look full.

Plus an airline deliberately oversells seats on a plane. It is completely different to a stadium.

An airline doesn't hold back entire blocks of seats for sale to make it look full.

Airlines do hold back on seats in an orderly manner (otherwise it might affect loading)
We recently experienced this with an airline trying to gouge extra money for "better" seats.
Some airlines now charge for the "privilege" of selecting your own seats.
I don't know how airlines oversell seats but it would be impossible with mandatory seat selection at time of purchase.
Hotels and a lot of other businesses do similar withholding of product to manipulate the market.

Airlines do hold back on seats in an orderly manner (otherwise it might affect loading)
We recently experienced this with an airline trying to gouge extra money for "better" seats.
Some airlines now charge for the "privilege" of selecting your own seats.
I don't know how airlines oversell seats but it would be impossible with mandatory seat selection at time of purchase.
Hotels and a lot of other businesses do similar withholding of product to manipulate the market.
Your info on airlines is just not correct.
Most airlines charge for better seats, most (other than low cost) allow you to select normal seats for free at the back of the cabin. Airlines also charge to select business class seats if you have no status (British Airways and Lufthansa in particular do this).
All airlines oversell seats because they rely on no-shows. There is no such thing as a mandatory seat selection, a lot of people don't want to pay for a seat, so they get auto allocated when check-in opens.

Most airlines charge for better seats, most (other than low cost) allow you to select normal seats for free at the back of the cabin.

No, most airlines allow to to select seats within your class.
That doesn't mean they show all available seats.

There is no such thing as a mandatory seat selection,

Yes and I said if they did it would stop the the practice.
a lot of people don't want to pay for a seat,
i've never met a person that didn't want to know their seat allocation,
though there are certain situations that prevent this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back