Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he was returning from injury but FOS would have to be the most bland pick 1 chance I've seen in a long time. Seems good at everything without being elite at any.

Would take Lombard or Draper before him any day on what I've seen this year.
Reminds me of the Andrew McGrath pick 1 year, very vanilla at the top end.

However, does seem like there's a lot of depth, so having multiple top 20 picks and you can rebuild quite well this draft.

I lot of the stuff being said about FOS at the minute could have applied to Cotch when we took him at pick two

A hard working skilful midfielder who does everything well and can be a leader is just what the doctor ordered at pick one as far as I’m concerned

This is ironic as fk, I was there arguing for Sam Walsh to be pick 1 when a bunch of others were saying Bailey Smith was more dynamic and the better player( I also preffered Ben over Max King which controversially seems a good call lol seeing as Max was the 3rd player being pushed as potential number 1 pick and Lukosious the other) now to hear a Sam Walsh fan arguing against a supposed "bland" talent that Sam Walsh was labelled all those years ago is dripping with irony lol.......

On what I've seen this year I would also take Lombard and Draper, but that's because of injury.

The championship game will determine where they end up, finals and combines will also influence it, but I need to see something from FOS to continue to keep him at pick 1 or he might drop a couple spots?

FOS will not drop below North's draft position, wherever that ends up imo.

He trained at North in preseason and arguably suits the list more than any other of the top 5 or 6.

He's an inside outside mid, but he has more flexibility to be deployed off a wing than the likes of Smith, Smillie, Lalor etc.

We don't need a center square dominant mid, we are already heavy in that regard.

One with flexibility and running power, absolutely will fit in. If some view his ceiling as slightly lower than others, I don't think it will bother North, as his style and positional flexibility is what will appeal most.

If he doesn't get going this year, then 3 might be a possibility. Twomey has previously stated 3-5 might be his new range, But these theoreticals only work if you can argue for others to slot ahead of him.

I can only really see the two picks ahead of him being Smillie (Rich) + Smith (WCE), despite the amount of time Richmond has supposedly put into Trainor. I guess the only other darkhorse might be Lalor. I think the likes of Langford, Draper and Reid pushing into the top 2 unlikely and North isn't going to finish any higher than 16th.

If Richmond finishes 17th and WCE pick Smillie, then Trainor might be a possibility I guess, but I still think FOS goes at #3 in that scenario and it's Smith who drops to the lower positions.

I think Smith to North is one of the worst fits of the top 5 picks.

Last edited:
Still baffles me this. He doesn’t put a ‘phantom draft’ out until 2 days from the draft. He puts phantom FORM guides up in the leading months out from the draft. The rankings he puts up has no correlation on where the players might be drafted.
I think the forms are how he rates them.

Phantom draft is based on intel on who the clubs are likely to take. Pretty soon they’ll catch on and feed him dummy intel to get an edge.

No one will admit it, as it doesn’t fit the AFL narrative, but Leonardo Lombard and Levi Ashcroft are surely 1/2 or 2/1 depending on your preference - then with a gap on champs form. I’d have Sam Marshall in my top 10 as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one will admit it, as it doesn’t fit the AFL narrative, but Leonardo Lombard and Levi Ashcroft are surely 1/2 or 2/1 depending on your preference - then with a gap on champs form. I’d have Sam Marshall in my top 10 as well.
Tell you what. Currently you have pick 11. We'll trade you pick 11 for Sam Marshall.

Tell you what. Currently you have pick 11. We'll trade you pick 11 for Sam Marshall.
You’ll have to talk to the Suns about that. We currently have SFA!! Traded our first last year 🥹

I say he’ll be in the top 10 players from this draft in 5 years though. You guys just don’t have any use for him - fully loaded and Levi to come.

You’ll have to talk to the Suns about that. We currently have SFA!! Traded our first last year 🥹

I say he’ll be in the top 10 players from this draft in 5 years though. You guys just don’t have any use for him - fully loaded and Levi to come.

The landscape is littered with overrated Lions' academy prospects that were high on phantom drafts, power rankings etc...
Some were not drafted, others barely managed to stay on lists. Occasionally one may succeed.
What I am asking if Marshal was already on a list would a club be prepared to trade a top 10 draft pick for him?

Nah, not for me. It doesn't fit your narrative but every draft watcher ended the 2022 season with Will Ashcroft top of their board, and there were plenty in here and elsewhere last season arguing that Jed Walter should be the number 1 ranked prospect ahead of Harley Reid.

I just don't see anything to back up your assertion that there's some pro AFL deep state conspiracy to underrate F/S and Academy prospects for ... ... reasons.

The landscape is littered with overrated Lions' academy prospects that were high on phantom drafts, power rankings etc...
Some were not drafted, others barely managed to stay on lists. Occasionally one may succeed.
What I am asking if Marshal was already on a list would a club be prepared to trade a top 10 draft pick for him?
I would personally happily see the dogs bid on him at 11 if we held the pick.

Mcgrath will be All Australian this year not a horrible pick.
Whats that based off? It can't be player ratings or what the coaches are seeing.

In the last 10 weeks he has a total of 2 coaches votes - against the Roos and zero votes against the top 8 teams.

Rating (med defenders)
15.51 Max Holmes
15.38 Harry Sheezel
15.29 Jack Sinclair
14.00 Dan Houston
13.98 Nick Blakey
13.53 Bailey Dale
13.21 Sam Flanders
12.12 Luke Ryan
11.98 Dayne Zorko
11.97 Mitchell Hinge
11.49 Nasiah Wanganeen
11.47 Brayden Maynard
11.44 Nic Martin
11.21 Daniel Rioli
10.96 Tom Stewart
10.76 Nick Vlastuin
10.66 Andy McGrath
10.51 Ollie Florent
10.43 Nic Newman

Whats that based off? It can't be player ratings or what the coaches are seeing.

In the last 10 weeks he has a total of 2 coaches votes - against the Roos and zero votes against the top 8 teams.

Rating (med defenders)
15.51 Max Holmes
15.38 Harry Sheezel
15.29 Jack Sinclair
14.00 Dan Houston
13.98 Nick Blakey
13.53 Bailey Dale
13.21 Sam Flanders
12.12 Luke Ryan
11.98 Dayne Zorko
11.97 Mitchell Hinge
11.49 Nasiah Wanganeen
11.47 Brayden Maynard
11.44 Nic Martin
11.21 Daniel Rioli
10.96 Tom Stewart
10.76 Nick Vlastuin
10.66 Andy McGrath
10.51 Ollie Florent
10.43 Nic Newman
I think he has been the most consistent at doing a job and being attacking for the whole season, hasn’t really played a bad game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back