Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

FOS getting run down by treacle speed Murphy Reid is either an indictment on him as a talent or an indicator that he's carrying some sort of lower body injury.
He looks injured still

I get that he's rusty... But he injured his thumb did he not? That doesn't make **** all difference to your athletic ability, just your ball handling and execution.
I'm sure FOS would have liked to play better than he has, but this was always going to be a big ask after such a long layoff. We'll see how the injured 3 (FOS, Lalor and Faull) progress over the rest of the season. I doubt the scouts will hold these performances against them too much.

I'm sure FOS would have liked to play better than he has, but this was always going to be a big ask after such a long layoff. We'll see how the injured 3 (FOS, Lalor and Faull) progress over the rest of the season. I doubt the scouts will hold these performances against them too much.
I don't want to bring in the comparison because it's absolutely nothing to do with them being cousins or me being a Carlton nuffie... But Sam Walsh comes back from a major back surgery and came out averaging 30 a game at AFL level. Same with Ashcroft coming back an ACL and still looking fantastic. Even Harry Armstrong this year has been smashed by injury but still looks great out there.

If you're coming back from a thumb surgery and looking this ordinary I think serious questions have to be asked over whether you're really one of the top talents in this draft.

Maybe I'm way off and we likely won't find out til next year... But I just don't see it at all with FOS. Will be happy to be wrong if he comes out like a bat out of hell next year, he seems like a ripping kid from interviews so wish him the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to bring in the comparison because it's absolutely nothing to do with them being cousins or me being a Carlton nuffie... But Sam Walsh comes back from a major back surgery and came out averaging 30 a game at AFL level. Same with Ashcroft coming back an ACL and still looking fantastic. Even Harry Armstrong this year has been smashed by injury but still looks great out there.

If you're coming back from a thumb surgery and looking this ordinary I think serious questions have to be asked over whether you're really one of the top talents in this draft.

Maybe I'm way off and we likely won't find out til next year... But I just don't see it at all with FOS. Will be happy to be wrong if he comes out like a bat out of hell next year, he seems like a ripping kid from interviews so wish him the best.
I mean it’s clearly easier for an athlete in the elite environment and all the resources available due to that to come back from injury then it would be for an eighteen year old kid who (I assume) is still going to school

Honestly a bit of an absurd comparison

I mean it’s clearly easier for an athlete in the elite environment and all the resources available due to that to come back from injury then it would be for an eighteen year old kid who (I assume) is still going to school

Honestly a bit of an absurd comparison
Nah. Even in juniors Walsh and Ashcroft were renowned for basically never having a bad game rain, hail, or shine, niggles or not. That's continued to be the trend for both of them at AFL level even after significant adversity.

FOS 7 touches in 4qtrs whether he's coming off a thumb surgery or not is not something you'd expect from a pick 1 fancy. He's looked ordinary pretty much all year when he's played.

Smilie not that impressive again, would be a few that I’d have before him. Not a good year to have pick 1
For whatever reason, most of the top end prospects weren't great today. Jagga was good, and Trainor had some moments.

Ashcroft, Smillie, FOS, Lalor all pretty quiet. Reid and Moraes decent.

Nah. Even in juniors Walsh and Ashcroft were renowned for basically never having a bad game rain, hail, or shine, niggles or not. That's continued to be the trend for both of them at AFL level even after significant adversity.

FOS 7 touches in 4qtrs whether he's coming off a thumb surgery or not is not something you'd expect from a pick 1 fancy. He's looked ordinary pretty much all year when he's played.
Mate... he played 1 uninjured quarter all season in round 1 of the Talent League. Fractured his thumb towards the end of that quarter and played out the game with it. Came back for the second Academy game having missed 6 weeks and being underdone. Did his finger. Missed another 7 weeks. Came back into the Champs underdone.

You're welcome to form your own opinions based on whatever you like, but I'm going to wait and see how his form progresses as he regains match fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back