Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems that way I think people will look back on him and Lombard and think I wish we took them higher.

Championships he performed colts he performed and league he has performed its just his in between height that scares the mock drafters.
I can see Sydney being spooked by WC and taking him at the end of the first. Just like we did with Sheldrick

Pick 5
Melbourne Football Club
Player number 8622106
Harry Armstrong

Mad if they don’t.
Interesting isn't it, the thing is with Viney almost done, Petracca no guarantee to get back to his best, Oliver is a day to day proposition, they need elite mids, Richmond need elite mids, St Kilda need elite mids and Adelaide need one more, yes they all need other positions as well but these teams need that "clearance bull"! I will be very surprised if Melbourne pick Harry Armstrong at their pick, and I rate Harry very very highly!

It seems that way I think people will look back on him and Lombard and think I wish we took them higher.

Championships he performed colts he performed and league he has performed its just his in between height that scares the mock drafters.
It was a plead, not a statement , I hope he lasts til the eagles 2nd or whenever we pick him

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What has happened to Phoenix Hargreave from SA? Was a potential top 20 pick last year as an underager in 18s. Won the medal for the league etc but seems to have dropped out of top 50s?
So much talk of the Vic power house, Hargrave is another SA boy off the Radar, U18 MVP last year, good champs and has been good at SANFL level over the last month in an ordinary team, kicks goals most weeks. Had a run through the Mid field a few weeks ago and accumulated well. Only flaw is defensive running but I’m sure that can be taught by the right coach/environment.

So much talk of the Vic power house, Hargrave is another SA boy off the Radar, U18 MVP last year, good champs and has been good at SANFL level over the last month in an ordinary team, kicks goals most weeks. Had a run through the Mid field a few weeks ago and accumulated well. Only flaw is defensive running but I’m sure that can be taught by the right coach/environment.
Draper was the U18 SA MVP last year but you’re right he’s gone massively under the radar after being touted as an early 2R. Port would surely take him if he gets through to 37.

Draper was the U18 SA MVP last year but you’re right he’s gone massively under the radar after being touted as an early 2R. Port would surely take him if he gets through to 37.
Sorry, didn’t explain it, Hargrave was the 2023 SANFL U18 MVP (like the Brownlow for the league) Draper was MVP for the state champs. Port have a few decisions to make with F/S and NGA selections which are players they currently don’t really need. SA’s poor champs could cost some worthy players an opportunity.

Interesting isn't it, the thing is with Viney almost done, Petracca no guarantee to get back to his best, Oliver is a day to day proposition, they need elite mids, Richmond need elite mids, St Kilda need elite mids and Adelaide need one more, yes they all need other positions as well but these teams need that "clearance bull"! I will be very surprised if Melbourne pick Harry Armstrong at their pick, and I rate Harry very very highly!
I don’t disagree re their need for mids but they have nothing reliable up forward. I think there are mids they could take later in the draft - Hynes, Gross, Allen if he falls a bit etc that may end up as good as the top end mids bar one or two this year. Armstrong looks as good a cert as you get in a competitive tall forward and at some point you have to take the leap.

Interested to see everyone's top 10 phantom drafts?
I'll do a first round as it stands with the inductive draft order. Obviously this is going to change considerably, especially for Fremantle, Richmond and Gold Coast. I'd also say it's likely that Kako gets a bid within the top 20.

Pick 1 Richmond: Jagga Smith
Pick 2 North Melbourne: Finn O'Sullivan
Pick 3 Brisbane (Bid Matched): Levi Ashcroft
Pick 4 West Coast: Sam Lalor
Pick 5 Adelaide: Sid Draper
Pick 6 Melbourne: Harvey Langford
Pick 7 Gold Coast: Leo Lombard
Pick 8 St.Kilda: Josh Smillie
Pick 9 Essendon: Murphy Reid
Pick 10 Fremantle: Harry Armstrong
Pick 11 Fremantle: Joe Berry
Pick 12 Carlton: Luke Trainor
Pick 13 Hawthorn: Jack Whitlock
Pick 14 Gold Coast: Xavier Lindsay
Pick 15 GWS Giants: Taj Hotton
Pick 16 Geelong: Jobe Shanahan
Pick 17 Fremantle: Bo Allen
Pick 18 Sydney: Tobie Travaglia
Pick 19 Sydney: Matt Whitlock
Pick 20 Gold Coast: Kayle Gerreyn

I'll do a first round as it stands with the inductive draft order. Obviously this is going to change considerably, especially for Fremantle, Richmond and Gold Coast. I'd also say it's likely that Kako gets a bid within the top 20.

If saints get band one. Smillie and Reid would be elite

No way North draft another mid. Freo won't draft another key forward. Trainor will be well gone by 12.

Think people are seeing my problem with Shanahan at that height and not great at ground level has limitations at next level.

Jack Whitlock surely will be top 10. Looks the goods.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coates League - Finals Week 2

Geelong v GWVR - Saturday 11.30am
Dandenong v Gippsland - Saturday 14.00pm

Sandringham v Calder - Sunday 11.00am
Northern v Oakleigh - Sunday 13.30pm

All games to be played at ETU Stadium (North Port Oval) in Port Melbourne

North will absolutely draft another midfielder, especially if we keep pick 2. If we split it, then that’s a different situation. Clarko has mentioned the midfield is still the priority.
North would be bonkas not to just go best available. What ever spot that is. You’ll still be shite next year as well, so you can go needs then

North will absolutely draft another midfielder, especially if we keep pick 2. If we split it, then that’s a different situation. Clarko has mentioned the midfield is still the priority.
Who do you reckon you'll take after we pick FOS?

What makes you think Rich take FOS with pick 1?

Have heard that Richmond were bloody impressed with Jagga when he trained with you over the summer and with his stint in the VFL.
Because he's the best prospect. Don't you agree?

We were bloody impressed when FOS played for us too. VFL coach Steve Morris on Finn's game with us
;
“I was really excited by Finn's game. He looked a class above the level. The really impressive thing from Finn was the fact that he probably could have thrown the towel in after a really heavy knock in the first quarter that reduced his time up the ground and around the footy, but he put his hand up to stay out on the field for the team and just looked really classy with ball in hand, made some really good decisions, and showed his lateral movement and strength in contest. Really exciting to see him step up and match it with senior players at VFL level.”

If it helps to get you to answer the question, who are you taking IF Richmond picks FOS?

North would be bonkas not to just go best available. What ever spot that is. You’ll still be shite next year as well, so you can go needs then
North have used how many of their top 4 picks on midfielders the last few years? If drafting for the midfield is a priority, then they are even worse than we thought.
Apart from Larkey, they don’t have one other forward or defender who is AFL standard. Maybe Comben??

Trainor at 2 isn’t a stretch at all. Don’t get overhyped by the media loving these new age of stat padding players.

Because he's the best prospect. Don't you agree?

We were bloody impressed when FOS played for us too. VFL coach Steve Morris on Finn's game with us
;
“I was really excited by Finn's game. He looked a class above the level. The really impressive thing from Finn was the fact that he probably could have thrown the towel in after a really heavy knock in the first quarter that reduced his time up the ground and around the footy, but he put his hand up to stay out on the field for the team and just looked really classy with ball in hand, made some really good decisions, and showed his lateral movement and strength in contest. Really exciting to see him step up and match it with senior players at VFL level.”

If it helps to get you to answer the question, who are you taking IF Richmond picks FOS?

Fair enough, I just don’t think it’s definitive that he is the number 1 prospect. It’s still an open field imo.

If I were to guess it would be Sid Draper closely followed by Josh Smillie and Harvey Langford. Draper’s class and breakaway speed would appeal while the other two offer a point of difference because of their height. Don’t think Smith is the one we take because he is a little too similar to what we already have and is a bit one dimensional compared to the other mids available at the top end of the pool.

North have used how many of their top 4 picks on midfielders the last few years? If drafting for the midfield is a priority, then they are even worse than we thought.
Apart from Larkey, they don’t have one other forward or defender who is AFL standard. Maybe Comben??

Trainor at 2 isn’t a stretch at all. Don’t get overhyped by the media loving these new age of stat padding players.
We needs KPP’s no doubt but there are plenty that will be available beyond the first round.

Not to mention 2 of the midfielders we’ve drafted are already gone (JHF & Thomas) while another looks like being a bust (Will Phillips).

We needs KPP’s no doubt but there are plenty that will be available beyond the first round.

Not to mention 2 of the midfielders we’ve drafted are already gone (JHF & Thomas) while another looks like being a bust (Will Phillips).
I’d say 90% of the best key position players are first round picks.

2020 Phillips 3, Powell 13
2022 sheezel 3, Wardlaw 4
2023 mckercher 2

On top of Simpkin and LDU. I’m sorry but if you need more than that you are screwed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back