Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

More of the above please and less of the Gerryn, BigFooty users.
I remember his dad's spelling from the year he bagged 90 snags in a WAFL season.

I can't wait to see who is right......Kayle Gerreyn 15-25 by me or maybe not getting drafted at all by others.

I can't wait for the outcome. And I don't talk about draft positionings all that often but at times it is necessary.

30 in no order just to add some PMBangers
  1. FOS
  2. Smillie
  3. Ashcroft
  4. Lombard
  5. Draper
  6. Trainor
  7. Smith
  8. Lalor
  9. Reid
  10. Langford
  11. Travaglia
  12. Moraes
  13. Dodson (Not sure he nominates)
  14. Berry
  15. Marshall
  16. Hargraves
  17. Davis
  18. Kako
  19. B Camporeale
  20. M Whitlock
  21. B Whitlock
  22. Lalor
  23. Allen
  24. Armstrong
  25. Barrett
  26. Grego
  27. Hynes
  28. O'Farrell
  29. Urquhart
  30. Hotton
Guys in bold are the ones I like based on where I've currently seen them be drafted online or written about online. Not sure they're that low come the real thing and that would slightly change my ratings. Reid was in the 30's for some people a while ago, if that happens in the real draft, I would be jumping down the screen begging the blues to select him or trade up to get picks.
You have 2 x Lalor. 1 high 1 low 🤫

I remember his dad's spelling from the year he bagged 90 snags in a WAFL season.

I can't wait to see who is right......Kayle Gerreyn 15-25 by me or maybe not getting drafted at all by others.

I can't wait for the outcome. And I don't talk about draft positionings all that often but at times it is necessary.
I hate rating talls.

Gerreyn, Sims, Shanahan, Faull, Mraz....
Unless they stand out, they can go anywhere.

You have to hope they either have great acceleration or a huge tank.

Last edited:
I anticipate it'll change a bit once I get around to fully watching the Champs, few WA/ SA boys have put themselves in contention from my brief viewings, and a few Talent League players I was umming and ahhing over pre-champs seem to have done well going by reports.

Think O'Farrell has a fair leg up on Murphy given he's better athletically
You'd think that Carlton would be well into O'Farrell. It's an area of need for us and his father is Peter O'Farrell who continually gets our players off at the tribunal including Jordan Boyd last night.

I'm convinced Kayle Gerreyn at 199cm will go just after Bo Allan from WA....somewhere between 15 and 25. Gerreyn just has too much upside for any club to let him slip lower.

But as usual we will see.

He has the frame to be that Charlie Dixon/Tom Hawkins type key forward. He’ll be 100+kg’s once he fills out. Wouldn’t blame any club for pulling the trigger on him early with his upside potential. Would just love to see him clunk a few more overhead, really relies on his chest marking a bit too much for a big bodied key forward.

He has the frame to be that Charlie Dixon/Tom Hawkins type key forward. He’ll be 100+kg’s once he fills out. Wouldn’t blame any club for pulling the trigger on him early with his upside potential. Would just love to see him clunk a few more overhead, really relies on his chest marking a bit too much for a big bodied key forward.
His hands were great on the weekend, couple of good contested marks. My concern with him: is it just that he’s bullying smaller kids or is there enough to work with to be a consistent performer at AFL level when he’s matched up with equivalent body size.

SIMS will become the best tall forward out of this draft IMO.
He has a beautiful pair of hands, his kicking is the one area he needs to focus on but like all kids they all have something to improve on. Tell me more SteeleSaints why you think Thomas will be the best out of this draft, he's aggressive at the ball, when he goes, he goes and he does have that streak in him where it looks like he's saying "If you get in my way I'm going to run you over", I'm curious.

His hands were great on the weekend, couple of good contested marks. My concern with him: is it just that he’s bullying smaller kids or is there enough to work with to be a consistent performer at AFL level when he’s matched up with equivalent body size.
There's easily enough there to work with, one of the scenarios played out to a tee that I said before the nationals and that was combined with a bit of bad luck, the rain and conditions didn't help power marking forwards and even though WA played well, the kicking to the two forwards was so bad at times Lockett and Dunstall would have had a hard time of it! He's very good, it will be interesting who picks him up at the draft and what position they earmark him for, if it was me it would be key forward, if he had of played the whole champs as a key forward and had conditions a little better and done what I think he's capable off he would have crashed the top 5 of this draft and they wouldn't have known what hit them!

FINN IN

POTENTIAL No.1 pick Finn O'Sullivan is set to return from injury for his first game with Vic Country on Sunday.

O'Sullivan has had a frustrating season, at first interrupted by a thumb injury early in the year with the Oakleigh Chargers and more recently a seven-week absence with a fractured finger he suffered playing for the AFL Academy.

The Oakleigh Chargers midfielder has been back in training and all going well this week will return for Vic Country against the Allies on Sunday in the Marsh AFL Under-18 Boys Championships.

The 18-year-old was an All-Australian last year as a bottom-ager for Vic Country after an impressive carnival and remains touted by many scouts as being among the best three midfielders in the draft class with his hardness, skills, overhead marking and consistency.

Sunday will be the Allies' final game of the championships, with Vic Country closing its campaign the following week against Vic Metro, giving O'Sullivan two games at the level. – Callum Twomey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's easily enough there to work with, one of the scenarios played out to a tee that I said before the nationals and that was combined with a bit of bad luck, the rain and conditions didn't help power marking forwards and even though WA played well, the kicking to the two forwards was so bad at times Lockett and Dunstall would have had a hard time of it! He's very good, it will be interesting who picks him up at the draft and what position they earmark him for, if it was me it would be key forward, if he had of played the whole champs as a key forward and had conditions a little better and done what I think he's capable off he would have crashed the top 5 of this draft and they wouldn't have known what hit them!
Top 5 is a little far fetched with the depth in this draft, I think if he can push into the 20s the he would have had a good finish to the year.

I certainly hope there’s a directive in the colts for him to play the rest of the season as a KPF, I suspect that’s where recruiters see him long term. His hands were very clean on the weekend given the conditions.

I think his most impressive play was against SA was when he was able to just stop on a dime in the goal square and snap over his shoulder. Not many guys his size can stop and turn like that.

Top 5 is a little far fetched with the depth in this draft, I think if he can push into the 20s the he would have had a good finish to the year.

I certainly hope there’s a directive in the colts for him to play the rest of the season as a KPF, I suspect that’s where recruiters see him long term. His hands were very clean on the weekend given the conditions.
There is scope for West Perth to give Gerreyn more time up forward now that they have unearthed over age ruckman Bailey Smith (197cm).

Smith doesn't have the mobility and the presence around the ground that Gerreyn gives but he does have very good tap skills and can be relied upon to give his mids first use.

I'm not sure if Smith could ruck all 25 minutes of every quarter so maybe Gerreyn could chip in for 5 minutes leaving him up forward for 20 and if need be 2025 prospect Lochlain Carpenter (193cm) could come out of FB/CHB/CHF and pinch hit for 2 or 3.

I can't find the actual segment of play from earlier this season but I saw Gerreyn at Joondalup gather the ball in the middle and handball 25/30 metres on to the chest of a team mate in Polly Farmer style. It was one of the best things I've seen in colts this season.

There is scope for West Perth to give Gerreyn more time up forward now that they have unearthed over age ruckman Bailey Smith (197cm).

Smith doesn't have the mobility and the presence around the ground that Gerreyn gives but he does have very good tap skills and can be relied upon to give his mids first use.

I'm not sure if Smith could ruck all 25 minutes of every quarter so maybe Gerreyn could chip in for 5 minutes leaving him up forward for 20 and if need be 2025 prospect Lochlain Carpenter (193cm) could come out of FB/CHB/CHF and pinch hit for 2 or 3.

I can't find the actual segment of play from earlier this season but I saw Gerreyn at Joondalup gather the ball in the middle and handball 25/30 metres on to the chest of a team mate in Polly Farmer style. It was one of the best things I've seen in colts this season.
I know I've been going on about him from late last year but I just think his potential is so untapped its not funny, think Luke Jackson but more of a forward and less of a ruck than Luke and remember he went pick 3 in the 2019 AFL draft but that was more to do with his ruck craft in his draft year than it was his forward craft so when you analyze it, a top 5 in this draft isn't that far off, its all there, it just needs to come together and that's what an an AFL environment will do! There are four players in this years draft that I think have huge potential and its no surprise that he's one of them.

I know I've been going on about him from late last year but I just think his potential is so untapped its not funny, think Luke Jackson but more of a forward and less of a ruck than Luke and remember he went pick 3 in the 2019 AFL draft but that was more to do with his ruck craft in his draft year than it was his forward craft so when you analyze it, a top 5 in this draft isn't that far off, its all there, it just needs to come together and that's what an an AFL environment will do! There are four players in this years draft that I think have huge potential and its no surprise that he's one of them.
Yes he has a lot of tools to work with. I can't see clubs taking the risk to let him slide too far.

As you say his kicking needs to improve but it's not a technical issue - far from it - for a big guy his kicking action is smooth as silk.

For him it's about the kicking care factor. He can kick perfectly with both feet but at times he can take that for granted and be rather laconic. That's easily fixed. In fact it would probably only take a 5 minute conversation with a coach.

Last edited:
Sid Draper named on ball for the Panthers A grade on Sunday

SOUTH

League

F: Freitag, Hindes, Fitt

HF: A. Draper, Wilkinson, Wheaton

C: Duncan, Mutch, Sampson

HB: Dunkin, Schroder, Nye

B: Clavarino, Summerton, S. Skinner

R: Northam, Davis, S. Draper

INT: McCarty, Collins, Rodrigues, Schuback, Grocock, Emile-Brennan, Tucker

IN: Clavarino, Sampson, McCarty, Northam, S.Draper, Tucker, Rodrigues

OUT: Howes (shoulder), Douglass (shoulder), Pilmore, Kirkland

NEW: Olivier Northam (St Josephs), Blake Rodrigues (Yankalilla/Reynella)

MILESTONE: Hayden Sampson (100 games)

Yes he has a lot of tools to work with. I can't see clubs taking the risk to let him slide too far.

As you say his kicking needs to improve but it's not a technical issue - far from it - for a big guy his kicking action is smooth as silk.

For him it's about the kicking care factor. He can kick perfectly with both feet but at times he can take that for granted and be rather laconic. That's easily fixed. In fact it would probably only take a 5 minute conversation with a coach.
Sorry Futbolista, the kicking bit I was referring to was Thomas Sims, in replying to SteeleSaints who said that Thomas would be the best forward out of this draft and I replied that his aggressive marking is a feature but that his kicking is quite poor and needs to be addressed while he's still learning.

thinking you guys are talking about kayle gerreyn

If only this kid was 5-6 cm taller he would make a bloody good ruckman at AFL level

thinking you guys are talking about kayle gerreyn

If only this kid was 5-6 cm taller he would make a bloody good ruckman at AFL level
We are absolutely stacked with KPFs and have Barnett and Livingstone as project young rucks, ideally we need a 24-25 year old ruck who is ready to go. Moyle or Reidy would have been fantastic.

Far more likely we’re looking at Clancy Dennis as a KPD with a late or rookie pick which is a position we do need young players. Dennis is 195cm so ideally needs to grow another 3 cm but has a massive tank and has a Dustin Fletcher type ability to get some part of a limb in the way to make it difficult for opposition to mark.

Of course we could consider Gerreyn as a KPD but I think he’s a forward with his creativity and is likely to go late 2R/early 3R so we don’t have a pick in that range anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back