Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he was returning from injury but FOS would have to be the most bland pick 1 chance I've seen in a long time. Seems good at everything without being elite at any.

Would take Lombard or Draper before him any day on what I've seen this year.
There's a lot more to come from him Walshy. Give the lad a few games to find his feet and form again.

I know he was returning from injury but FOS would have to be the most bland pick 1 chance I've seen in a long time. Seems good at everything without being elite at any.

He has only played 2 games in 3 months.

His back end to the season will determine if he goes 1.

There's a lot more to come from him Walshy. Give the lad a few games to find his feet and form again.
To me a Pick 1 should be a type that projects as potentially the best player in the comp. Reid, JHF, Jamarra etc even Rayner (Has the talent to but doesn't seem to have the determination to be). FOS to me looks like a Zac Merrett, Adam Treloar, Joel Selwood sort of level - Consistently in the top 10-20 players but never in the absolute top echelon like Bont, Petracca etc.

All personal opinion of course but I just don't see what traits he has to standout from the rest. In contrast Lombard is an athletic freakshow so I could easily see him becoming a superstar.

To me a Pick 1 should be a type that projects as potentially the best player in the comp. Reid, JHF, Jamarra etc even Rayner (Has the talent to but doesn't seem to have the determination to be). FOS to me looks like a Zac Merrett, Adam Treloar, Joel Selwood sort of level - Consistently in the top 10-20 players but never in the absolute top echelon like Bont, Petracca etc.

All personal opinion of course but I just don't see what traits he has to standout from the rest. In contrast Lombard is an athletic freakshow so I could easily see him becoming a superstar.
So the next Sam Walsh?

Every club would love to get a Merrett with pick 1.

We need to see the numbers, but at a guess I'd say FOS is just as if not more athletic than Lombard. He's super agile, has a huge vertical leap and from memory he put up a seriously good Yoyo test number.

McGrath?

To me a Pick 1 should be a type that projects as potentially the best player in the comp.

So we shouldn’t have a pick 1 this year? Just start at 2.

Sorry Richmond.

Dodoro's an idiot, but he also had an elite athletic profile as a kid. Ran a 10.9 100m sprint, was a star hurdler and 400m runner before getting drafted and blitzed nearly every test at the combine.

I just don't see FOS having any standout athletic traits other than his vertical jump which generally doesn't come in handy too often as a midfielder unless he's got ample ability forward of the ball too.

Dodoro's an idiot, but he also had an elite athletic profile as a kid. Ran a 10.9 100m sprint, was a star hurdler and 400m runner before getting drafted and blitzed nearly every test at the combine.

I just don't see FOS having any standout athletic traits other than his vertical jump which generally doesn't come in handy too often as a midfielder unless he's got ample ability forward of the ball too.
He has great evasive skills a beautiful kick - and tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh's standout trait as a junior was his absolute top tier running and work rate. FOS doesn't look to have that. Pre back injuries Walsh was clocking 16+ kms in game regularly. From what I've watched of Finn he's not really in that category.

FOS ran one the best Yo-Yo readings of the last 6 years. He matched it in his bottom age testing also.

His 1000+ Yo-Yo is on par with Olli Hollands and Sheezel and they ran 5:90 2k’s. Better than McKercher as an example who logged a 960. The CTL average is 550.

So yes, you’d be completely wrong about that.

Elite Agility and Vertical also and has a 3 second 20m so is plenty quick enough with that lateral movement, bounce and engine.

He’s a better athlete than his cousin in a bigger frame in just about every department.

Last edited:
FOS ran one the best Yo-Yo readings of the last 6 years. He matched it in his bottom age testing also.

His 1000+ Yo-Yo is on par with Olli Hollands and Sheezel and they ran 5:90 2k’s. Better than McKercher as an example who logged a 960. The CTL average is 550.

So yes, you’d be completely wrong about that.

Elite Agility and Vertical also and has a 3 second 20m so is plenty quick enough with that lateral movement, bounce and engine.

He’s a better athlete than his cousin in a bigger frame in just about every department.
Right... But Walsh ran a better Yo-Yo than Hollands and Sheezel and as someone who's been to dozens of Carlton trainings over the years is visibly is a stronger runner. Pre back injuries Walsh was the best runner in the competition - backed up by plenty of GPS data and his work rate since juniors has always been elite on both sides of the ball, also tracked by more in depth data such as pressure acts, 1%ers, pressure ratings by CD etc.

From another angle, N.Daicos is a mediocre runner by most metrics. 6:30 2km time trial, almost never in his teams top performers on the GPS trackers but anyone who's watched him play knows his work rate is elite and his gut running is a massive weapon for him. Sometimes data doesn't paint the full picture.

You seem to think I have skin in the game on this, I don't. I'm just an avid draft watcher who doesn't think FOS lives up to the hype he's accumulated. When I watch him play I don't see the standout traits of a Draper, or Lombard or even a Bo Allen type. That's just my opinion.

I couldn't really care less for the Walsh comparisons, I'm not here to get in a pissing contest over who's better between the cousins. Im just discussing an opinion on a random draft prospect who happens to be related to a player at Carlton.

So the next Sam Walsh?

Every club would love to get a Merrett with pick 1.
This is ironic as fk, I was there arguing for Sam Walsh to be pick 1 when a bunch of others were saying Bailey Smith was more dynamic and the better player( I also preffered Ben over Max King which controversially seems a good call lol seeing as Max was the 3rd player being pushed as potential number 1 pick and Lukosious the other) now to hear a Sam Walsh fan arguing against a supposed "bland" talent that Sam Walsh was labelled all those years ago is dripping with irony lol.......

On what I've seen this year I would also take Lombard and Draper, but that's because of injury.

The championship game will determine where they end up, finals and combines will also influence it, but I need to see something from FOS to continue to keep him at pick 1 or he might drop a couple spots?

This is ironic as fk, I was there arguing for Sam Walsh to be pick 1 when a bunch of others were saying Bailey Smith was more dynamic and the better player( I also preffered Ben over Max King which controversially seems a good call lol seeing as Max was the 3rd player being pushed as potential number 1 pick and Lukosious the other) now to hear a Sam Walsh fan arguing against a supposed "bland" talent that Sam Walsh was labelled all those years ago is dripping with irony lol.......

On what I've seen this year I would also take Lombard and Draper, but that's because of injury.

The championship game will determine where they end up, finals and combines will also influence it, but I need to see something from FOS to continue to keep him at pick 1 or he might drop a couple spots?
Everyone's got their own opinions on players. I never thought Walsh was a bland pick due to his running power

I don’t think a number 1 pick is picked on draft camp results they all know by then how good they are, a lot of the top picks don’t even seem to participate anymore.
It’s more for the 3rd rounders becoming 2nd rounders or the on the edge of non drafted cementing their athletic potential it seems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back