Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know how Lalor went against BGS? Or Finn O'Sullivan against Hailebury?

I've been pressing this topic in another thread recently - it seems like such an unfortunate situation when these top draft prospects need to consistently play school footy over CTL.

For one thing it's frustrating from an online nuffie lay-scout perspective - where we would get reports/stats/vision it's more or less just a mystery.

But more saliently, surely it affects how the draft plays out itself. Like, I'm bullish on Lalor, and it seemed as though if he could continue to replicate the kind of game he had for the Rebels a month or two ago he'd be a good chance to push into the very high end of the draft. Almost always (unless they're injured all year or something) the highest selections have shown a run of exposed CTL (or formerly TAC) form in their draft year. And why wouldn't that be the case? - you need that assurance to spend a top 5 pick on a guy.

And so, despite his potential, presumably Lalor isn't going to go quite so high off the back of pretty much just school footy.

for anyone more knowledgeable than me -- am I wrong here?

Yesterday some of the PSA schools in WA released "some" players to represent their colts team despite the school not having a bye (or so it would seem)

Not sure I've seen that happen before?

I've been pressing this topic in another thread recently - it seems like such an unfortunate situation when these top draft prospects need to consistently play school footy over CTL.

For one thing it's frustrating from an online nuffie lay-scout perspective - where we would get reports/stats/vision it's more or less just a mystery.

But more saliently, surely it affects how the draft plays out itself. Like, I'm bullish on Lalor, and it seemed as though if he could continue to replicate the kind of game he had for the Rebels a month or two ago he'd be a good chance to push into the very high end of the draft. Almost always (unless they're injured all year or something) the highest selections have shown a run of exposed CTL (or formerly TAC) form in their draft year. And why wouldn't that be the case? - you need that assurance to spend a top 5 pick on a guy.

And so, despite his potential, presumably Lalor isn't going to go quite so high off the back of pretty much just school footy.

Because their Coates league teams don’t spend $30,000 on their scholarships, the schools do, therefore that is an obligation. Teams don’t gamble picks without seeing the kids, scouts are at most if not all the school footy matches. For some, school footy is now over and they can represent their catchment areas in rep footy for the rest of the season.

Because their Coates league teams don’t spend $30,000 on their scholarships, the schools do, therefore that is an obligation. Teams don’t gamble picks without seeing the kids, scouts are at most if not all the school footy matches. For some, school footy is now over and they can represent their catchment areas in rep footy for the rest of the season.

I understand that the obligation exists, that's not my point.

Are there examples of recent very high draft picks whose exposed form was pretty much entirely school footy?

Yesterday some of the PSA schools in WA released "some" players to represent their colts team despite the school not having a bye (or so it would seem)

Not sure I've seen that happen before?
Probably wasn’t going to impact on who won the competition. I’m only guessing at that.

I understand that the obligation exists, that's not my point.

Are there examples of recent very high draft picks whose exposed form was pretty much entirely school footy?

Plenty actually.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Scotch College

Nick Daicos only played the 5 games for the Oakleigh Chargers - Carey Grammar from memory

Will Ashcroft another - Brighton Grammar from memory.

Sam Lalor was injured for a major part of the season due to a hip issue and then a foot issue, probably not even fully fit now impacts his opportunities.

Last edited:

Not sure how Simon accessed these stats, but he's a reputable figure in the Richmond nuffieverse. APS level obviously not the same as Coates but there's some talented players playing school footy on these scholarships.

Since the tweet he's had a game where they drew and was named best on for Geelong Grammar. Can't find anything from the game today.

I agree, as a nuffie it's extremely frustrating, I feel like Lalor is seriously trending up after this injury. Not even stats-wise, he just looks the part. For Vic Country despite having smaller disposal games he was making a massive impact, mainly playing inside the forward half. I think he might end up top 4.

Not sure how Simon accessed these stats, but he's a reputable figure in the Richmond nuffieverse. APS level obviously not the same as Coates but there's some talented players playing school footy on these scholarships.

Since the tweet he's had a game where they drew and was named best on for Geelong Grammar. Can't find anything from the game today.

I agree, as a nuffie it's extremely frustrating, I feel like Lalor is seriously trending up after this injury. Not even stats-wise, he just looks the part. For Vic Country despite having smaller disposal games he was making a massive impact, mainly playing inside the forward half. I think he might end up top 4.

Premier Data.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Ashcroft another - Brighton Grammar from memory.
Will was an early year birthday, finished his school commitments as a bottom ager and then played an entire Talent League season (or was it still NAB League? whatever) with Sandy. Also played a number of VFL games with Brisbane Lions.

Will was an early year birthday, finished his school commitments as a bottom ager and then played an entire Talent League season (or was it still NAB League? whatever) with Sandy. Also played a number of VFL games with Brisbane Lions.
Strange that he never won the Morrish medal in 2022 playing 14 games t isn't it?

That honour wenrt to Taj Campbell-Farrell and Lachlan Cowan.

Ashcroft did win the Larke Medal that year but.

Don't forget I was one of the first to Jack Ough. Good to see others getting some enjoyment too.
FFS this bloke, if its not enough he is desperate for praise on our board, he is now fishing on the main board. Enough already mate. Give it a rest.

Luke Quaynor has a fractured wrist (was doing a running session at the pies academy session tonight) so doubt we'd see him in the last couple CTL games for Oakleigh.

Oliver Warburton trained again with the pies vfl, so probably gets another vfl game -- he did pretty well in his debut game.

So the most in the know person has him at 8 and I say he can go 3 places higher and I’m wrong? Haha it’s ok to admit I know more than you guys.
Twomey and RMC didn't have him at 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back