Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just come straight from the Richmond Draft board with an update. To this point it's pretty much resolved we will be going to the draft with the following:

2/3
5,6,7,8/9
12/13
20&21
23/24
41 and

Phew.
That's just for Baker.

Does that really apply here though? We aren't pushing him out, we're matching the money on his offer. But as an unrestricted free agent, there is nothing we can do if he decides to leave. We can't influence the compo with the threat of a match, only promise to pay the same and hope he stays

Which highlights the silliness of the system. You match but he chooses the opposing side, compensation is decided for you (high or low) and the rest of the comp gives up draft capital to slide back spots so you get it.

Is Trainor alot better than Mraz. Pick positions would suggest it.

Mraz is a good athlete and has stacks of upside but his foot injury means he has practically no exposed form this year. Hard to have a developing tall with no exposed form in the top tier.

Last edited:
The guys on midweek tackle reported last night that Battle contact is likely to trigger band 2 as it stands.

You'd think the Saints would add another 200k/year onto whatever their offer is to try and push the Hawks up late but it's no guarantee.
💯 sos did the same thing with Gresham last year. Made sure the compo would trigger a first rounder.

Mraz is a good athlete and has stacks of upside but his foot injury means he has practically no exposed form this year. Hard to have a developing tall with no exposed form in the top tier.
Also he did look a bit awkward at times with the footy early in the season. Not exactly a slick/skilled and smooth operator like Trainor. There's more than enough there to get Mraz drafted but he's a longer term prospect to my mind.

Any Coates League player updates from todays matches?

I see Langford kicked 4 in a Dande win

Oakleigh bt Sandringham

Smillie best on for Eastern

Watched bits and pieces of the Bendigo/Murray game.

Jobe Shanahan BOG kicking 6.2 from 16 disposals and 6 marks. Handed another easy goal off too.

Travaglia was a bit quieter than usual but got forward for a couple goals.

Matt & Jack Whitlock played good games. Jack played more up the ground while Matt played closer to goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Richmond looking to get back from Carlton/brisbane if they are in discussions to help both of those clubs get points for father sons
Carlton don’t need points, both campo boys sliding and they have a stack of 4th rounders, Richmond could definitely look at Brisbane’s 1st rounder though.

Any Coates League player updates from todays matches?

I see Langford kicked 4 in a Dande win

Oakleigh bt Sandringham

Smillie best on for Eastern
Langford is going to be a weapon at afl level, unbelievable contested mark for a mid

Watched bits and pieces of the Bendigo/Murray game.

Jobe Shanahan BOG kicking 6.2 from 16 disposals and 6 marks. Handed another easy goal off too.

Travaglia was a bit quieter than usual but got forward for a couple goals.

Matt & Jack Whitlock played good games. Jack played more up the ground while Matt played closer to goal.
Travaglia went off in the first five minutes of the game and didn't come back on until midday through the second quarter. Also the coaching staff have Barrat BOG for Bendigo for keeping Murphy goalless and still having a large number of intercept marks. This is exactly what the recruiters wanted to see from him and should see him firmly in draft contention.

Last edited:
Can I ask a dumb question but its one that has me baffled.

Apart from population differences -

Q. Why dont SA & WA produce the amount of elite kids (per capita) that Victoria does?

Surely those states have as many kids/adults playing the game that Victoria does, but they dont seem to be able to produce the numbers of AFL quality kids that Victoria does?

The way things are going in recent years the northern states will over take them in the future, with the numbers of kids they are producing.
All the skill is in Vic. It’s the water or something.

Can I ask a dumb question but its one that has me baffled.

Apart from population differences -

Q. Why dont SA & WA produce the amount of elite kids (per capita) that Victoria does?

Surely those states have as many kids/adults playing the game that Victoria does, but they dont seem to be able to produce the numbers of AFL quality kids that Victoria does?

The way things are going in recent years the northern states will over take them in the future, with the numbers of kids they are producing.
Do you have the per capita data? How do you know this is the case?

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
What is Richmond looking to get back from Carlton/brisbane if they are in discussions to help both of those clubs get points for father sons
Brisbane want lots and lots of points, and a team to carry them in to the draft for them.

Richmond get Brisbane’s first round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back