Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The highest-rated tall defender in this year’s draft – Sandringham’s Luke Trainor – may not play again this season after copping a high hit in Saturday’s quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.
Trainor, the grandson of champion former Geelong and North Melbourne goalkicker Doug Wade, had just received a handball when Calder ruckman Riley Leedham collected him in the head and gave away a free kick.
Trainor immediately clutched at his head but played on for a brief period before taking no part in the second half and going to hospital for precautionary reasons. The Dragons will find out his scan results on Wednesday.

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two brain injuries sustained in games last season.
Trainor’s concussions are a talking point among recruiters ahead of the draft in November, where he and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

The AFL announced in March that any footballer who suffered a concussion outside the AFL and AFLW would need to miss at least 21 days, including the under-18 Talent League and other second-tier competitions.

Trainor was an emergency for the Dragons’ grand final win last year, and a concussion would rule him out of this year’s decider, too, assuming Sandringham beat Dandenong Stingrays on Sunday.

That would have hurt Riley Leedham is the Shane Mumford of the CTL.

I don’t see North taking Trainor at 2 currently. Also think Melbourne a very strong chance to take Armstrong at 5. Seems like a fit for them. Is Jefferson far off for them?

Must be about this time of year the RMC draft guide gets its first musings.

Little request.

Please profile some who've not been invited to either camp.
I’m no longer with them but that won’t be happening, it’s a huge undertaking for the staff to do especially when many are just volunteers.

I’m no longer with them but that won’t be happening, it’s a huge undertaking for the staff to do especially when many are just volunteers.
I'm not allowed to see my family until my profiles are done

I am usually far more invested in the draft than I am this year, perhaps I had high hopes for Carlton and thought we wouldn’t have a pick high enough to worry.. well didn’t that blow up in my face..

IMO the biggest hole in our side is a high pressuring, high work rate goal kicking forward.. Is there a player like Ed to Dylan Moore that might be available at pick 11?

I am usually far more invested in the draft than I am this year, perhaps I had high hopes for Carlton and thought we wouldn’t have a pick high enough to worry.. well didn’t that blow up in my face..

IMO the biggest hole in our side is a high pressuring, high work rate goal kicking forward.. Is there a player like Ed to Dylan Moore that might be available at pick 11?
Berry must be a chance

I don’t see North taking Trainor at 2 currently. Also think Melbourne a very strong chance to take Armstrong at 5. Seems like a fit for them. Is Jefferson far off for them?
Yeah, I think Armstrong is a stronger chance now that we got screwed over (yet again) with not getting access to Ah-Mu (a 2025 academy player). Jefferson won't make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the storey with ah-mu?
he isnt Aboriginal, African or Asian, so not NGA eligible (if the kid is from Oceania, South/North America or Europe they need both parents to be immigrants to be NGA eligible i believe, im not sure? but i believe thats what i remember seeing somewhere) its a stupid unclear ruling...

he isnt Aboriginal, African or Asian, so not NGA eligible (if the kid is from Oceania, South/North America or Europe they need both parents to be immigrants to be NGA eligible i believe, im not sure? but i believe thats what i remember seeing somewhere) its a stupid unclear ruling...
I thought you just needed one parent to be born over seas?

Remember this when we're bottom 6 for the next 8 years. You clearly don't know the significance of this nga stuff.
Shut up.

It's one kid that is still one year away. Carrying on like he's the second coming of Wayne Carey.

Watching you cry salty tears is by far the most entertaining thing on these boards.

Shut up.

It's one kid that is still one year away. Carrying on like he's the second coming of Wayne Carey.

Watching you cry salty tears is by far the most entertaining thing on these boards.
who? you mean the guy just given $12 mill?

Dude, I'm not the one banging on like we're in the window wanting Dan Houston, or wanting Petracca because he'll keep us in the window. I'm realistic with where we're at.

Last edited:
As a long time FOS detractor I find it fascinating how he's managed to maintain his 'value' where as someone like Moir last year who entered the season with almost an equal level of hype pretty much tanked his way to pick 29 due to poor outings while under an injury cloud.

Not saying it's right or wrong either way, just find it fascinating as to why one tanked while the other has maintained his mercurial reputation despite producing donuts this year

As a long time FOS detractor I find it fascinating how he's managed to maintain his 'value' where as someone like Moir last year who entered the season with almost an equal level of hype pretty much tanked his way to pick 29 due to poor outings while under an injury cloud.

Not saying it's right or wrong either way, just find it fascinating as to why one tanked while the other has maintained his mercurial reputation despite producing donuts this year
Moir wasn't injured in his draft year, i never thought he was a 1st round pick, that came from RMC then the rest of the media pushed it and forced everyones hand to justify why you dont have him at pick 2 which is annoying, he played all of the champs, most if not all of the sanfl u18s, he was just slow and mostly uncompetitive, but he does have a good skillset if you can get it to him, similar to a Jack Martin, both of whom are limited imo, I think FOS will drop down a few spots, I think he has been disappointing and I'm thinking Sid Draper could be pick 1 for Richmond? When I make my updated list he is likely going to be my new pick 1.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back