No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep like i said they lose last week if they take him off for the standard 20mins they risked a fine to win the game it worked for them.

Not sure what your post above meant?

I don't think it's about TV audience on the day. The AFL aren't concerned about eyeballs on the game on the day as they already know they're going to command more viewers than anything else on TV that year. It's what they do with those eyeballs that can bring more profit for the AFL long-term.

Making the AFL a spectacle, creating memorable cultural moments. That's what they're after as that brings new fans in and helps the game grow. You need legacy acts to achieve those things. A zeitgeist act won't do it.

The problem with artists relevant to the zeitgeist, like Charli XCX, is that the majority of people aren't actually in the zeitgeist. If the GF was watched purely by Charli XCX fans, then her performance would be a massive hit, complete with sing-alongs and everything. But it's not just watched by Charli XCX fans. It's watched by Drake fans. It's watched by AC/DC fans. It's watched by Johnny Cash fans. It's watched by Britney Spears fans. It's watched by Avicii fans. It's watched by Phil Collins fans (they should have their memberships revoked.)

It means you're never going to find an artist who is truly universal and who will draw maximum eyes and ears. So in the absence of that, you look for the universal music. The songs that fans of every genre know.

That's how you get the Jack Riewoldt singing Mr Brightside meme. That's how you get an entire MCG singing Angels. And they're ultimately the moments that sell the occasion to a non-fan more than anything.
I love Brittney Spears.

So the AFL needs to up the fine massively.
I don't think they need to up the fine, I think they need to punish the offending clubs in ways that will hurt them a hell of a lot more. Perhaps enforce the player concerned to have to sit out for maybe 20 days instead of 12, that would certainly change the clubs attitudes. Could you imagine The Lions then playing Russian roulette with Andrews or Carlton with McKay if they risked two or possibly three games without them?

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe Charli XCX or Taylor Swift fans who don't follow the AFL are going to start following it because their favourite artist performed at it for 15 minutes?

Buckleys.

The point about the other fans is that many people who watch the GF aren't necessarily AFL fans. They watch it because they're at the pub or the backyard BBQ or the MCG through tickets somehow with people who are AFL fans. The AFL-adjacent people. Those people are the AFL's gettable market.

And you've gotta sell to them a product that will draw them in. A zeitgeist act performing songs most people don't know won't achieve that; in fact it will fall flat. A legacy act performing songs everyone knows can create a moment that endures and does as good a job at selling the game long-term as anything.
Spot-on.

The AFL trotted out Tones I Am (then a minor Zeitgeist) for the GF a few years back. It flopped.
“Who is that & how long does this go for?” is not the reaction the AFL or NRL are after.

The sing-a-long legacy act will always be more suited to the aims of the AFL or NRL.

PS: I kinda love Britney too, but don’t tell anyone.

Last edited:
Spot-on.

The AFL trotted out Tones I Am (then a minor Zeitgeist) for the GF a few years back. It flopped.
“Who is that & how long does this go for?” is not the reaction the AFL or NRL are after.

The sing-a-long legacy act will always be more suited to the aims of the AFL or NRL.

Too late, I’ve already told The King!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot-on.

You think people wouldn't be able to sing along to Taylor Swift or Charli XCX? I mean everyone's seen the KFC ad..

You think people wouldn't be able to sing along to Taylor Swift or Charli XCX? I mean everyone's seen the KFC ad..
Taylor Swift, yes, definitely.

Charli …. No. Most would just wonder if it was a half time KFC ad (and then get frustrated upon finding there is no KFC available & all they can buy at the ground are scolding hot liquid pies & hot dogs of dubious composition).

Taylor Swift, yes, definitely.

Charli …. No. Most would just wonder if it was a half time KFC ad (and then get frustrated upon finding there is no KFC available & all they can buy at the ground are scolding hot liquid pies & hot dogs of dubious composition).
As established earlier in the thread she has a number of pop anthems people wouldn't even realise they knew.

Dogs fans are pathetic.

Laugh at this post you loser trolls.

View attachment 2062337
That person is nothing but a pesty troll. Just file it alongside the fact that many of them, deep down, only argue about 2016 so vehemently because they know what is being said is true... rather then going 'so what, we won the flag', they desperately try and cling to an argument and dreamt up belief that they didn't have almost everything go their way to enable that premiership to happen.

For all their amazing form, it would only take one shocker and it would mean basically nothing. Still need a lot right to finish top 4, and 1 loss would even put top 8 in jeopardy for them. The kind draw helps a lot here over the final month, and no doubting the good form - but would not surprise me one iota for things to change quickly, such has been this season of up and down form across the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back