No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Errol is better and it isn’t close and yet he gets a quarter of the attention and that’s being generous.

Not saying Daicos isn’t a good player, he obviously is, but Errol is far more damaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the inner workings at West Coast, but am I alone in thinking Simpson is a good coach? Led a pretty average West Coast side to a premiership in 2018. To me that counts for quite a bit and I don't think there are many coaches-in-waiting that would be able to come in and do a better job with that group.

I don't know about the inner workings at West Coast, but am I alone in thinking Simpson is a good coach? Led a pretty average West Coast side to a premiership in 2018. To me that counts for quite a bit and I don't think there are many coaches-in-waiting that would be able to come in and do a better job with that group.
They were tipped to be battling it out for the spoon. Not sure what anyone expected of them other than being bottom 4.

Unlike North who have been gifted draft concessions over multiple years they will have to rebuild the normal way.

There 2018 team was a decent team I wouldn’t mark them as being average.

Simpson made two grand finals but since 2020, COVID struck and they have been average with an ageing list and lots of injuries doubt any other coach would have done remarkably better.

It ain’t the coach that should be in strife -
It’s the list manager.

10 plus years in the job a fresh voice might be what is needed, he'll get a job somewhere, would be a great appointment for Tasmania.

One of the big mistakes WC made was going after Tim Kelly. They prolonged their rebuild due to the amount they paid to acquire Kelly's signature.

One of the big mistakes WC made was going after Tim Kelly. They prolonged their rebuild due to the amount they paid to acquire Kelly's signature.

Geelong did similar when they got Cameron and it worked pretty well. Impossible to tell with those moves except in hindsight.

Going to stick up for them here- just won a flag, and wanted another 1-2 I don't blame them going for him. What I did say though and this is due to the price, was that it would either be a genius move or close to the worst move in trade history. I don't blame a club doing it, was fresh off a top 10 finish in the Brownlow when the trade occurred.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

except geelong also benefitted from getting bowes and a compensatory pick for bowes.

the eagles havent had that degree of luck

Geelong got Bowes before the 2022 flag?

except geelong also benefitted from getting bowes and a compensatory pick for bowes.

the eagles havent had that degree of luck

Was way after they won a flag, they got Bowes after they started their decline.

Geelong got Bowes before the 2022 flag?
wasnt the conversation about the eagles being unable to rebuild and geelong being able to ? It wasnt just about the draft picks given up by west coast for a flag but also about the ability to rebuild, no ?

about simpson facing the sack given the team he has because they were trading - scott doesnt seem to face the same because they (a) won more recently and (b) arent bottom two years in a row

wasnt the conversation about the eagles being unable to rebuild and geelong being able to ? It wasnt just about the draft picks given up by west coast for a flag but also about the ability to rebuild, no ?

No, it was that Geelong also threw first round picks at a player chasing a flag and it worked for them.

Just asking the question for people with sources within the Swans but the Simpson (probable) sacking has no impact on the Dean Cox succession plan?

Just asking the question for people with sources within the Swans but the Simpson (probable) sacking has no impact on the Dean Cox succession plan?
No idea but you would think a discussion would have been had long before today. I would think Simpson has been hanging by a thread for a while now, not that I really see why.

Geelong did similar when they got Cameron and it worked pretty well. Impossible to tell with those moves except in hindsight.
Similar to Simpson, Clarko went for the quick rebuild and failed.

In fairness to Simpson, they had just come off winning a flag, had the cap and draft capital to bring in a big name. Kelly became available and West Coast threw all their chips in.

In hindsight, Kelly wasn't a great choice and they overpaid, and it backfired on them. The rest of the list simultaneously fell off a cliff.

The play itself was the right one to make at the time, but it just didn't pan out the way Simpson would have anticipated.

I think if you were to run a simulation, that move happens 8/10 times, if not more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back