Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoyed reading everyone's responses. A common thread seems to be weariness about being able to close it out in the grand final, given our history in that regard. To be honest, I don't think I'm even contemplating the grand final yet. I'm still wanting us just to see the home and away season out! I'd hate to see a Port-circa-2014 style capitulation in the second half of the season. They were two games clear on top of the ladder in round 12 and outside of the top 4 by round 17.

Things can fall apart so quickly and losing can become just as infectious as winning.

I feel like this year we've had a few bursts of incredible performances followed by short slumps. The first three games of the season were ballistic, then we hit the Richmond & West Coast games. We bounced back after that with another run of quality games til we got to the Bulldogs just before the bye, which felt like another mini-slump. And since the bye, it's hard to get a read on whether we're in a slump or not, because each game since has been a tale of two halves in a way.

I think I just need a good, solid four quarter performance where we keep at it and don't have the proverbial bus parked to reassure me.

The Geelong game among all teams especially in the psychological department is where i thought we broke through and is our best performance in the season so far in my opinion.

It was a season defining win from what is essentially the same team that received 80 and 90 point thumpings.

Since then we have continued through the season maintaining our average winning margin of ~5 goals

I feel like the "4 quarter effort" is this mythical thing that doesn't happen in modern footy.

Even the shittiest side gets its "turn" of momentum usually, teams go for it in terms of full on pace and pressure in bursts. It's who can do it more often and more effectively.

You do get the odd one like Lions v Power where its total dominance all day, but even then the first quarter was 35-20 hardly a predictor for the dominance to come.

Our win v the Eagles last year another 4 quarter one.

I think modern footy is about the team that takes its chances and is able to convert when it has the game and score quickly. Then it's the team that switches and minimises damage when the other team gets its "turn.

I would say we have been playing the modern four quarter effort of going when we can and holding and stopping the pace /minimising damage when it's recovery or absorbing time.

Or I am just full of shit.
I thought we had a number of four quarter performances earlier in the year. Melbourne, Essendon, Hawthorn. Even against Collingwood, Gold Coast, GWS and Carlton we had very close to four quarter performances. I actually thought the defining trait of our first few months was "sticking at it." We just looked fierce and focused for the overwhelming majority of games. Of late it's felt more like "bursts of brilliance" is the defining trait. And not sure if that is better or worse.

I thought we had a number of four quarter performances earlier in the year. Melbourne, Essendon, Hawthorn. Even against Collingwood, Gold Coast, GWS and Carlton we had very close to four quarter performances. I actually thought the defining trait of our first few months was "sticking at it." We just looked fierce and focused for the overwhelming majority of games. Of late it's felt more like "bursts of brilliance" is the defining trait. And not sure if that is better or worse.

I thought slow starts aside we played mostly complete games.

The rain probably threw out the Giants game.

I certainly think Horse has plenty he would be challenging the group to get better on

I thought slow starts aside we played mostly complete games.

The rain probably threw out the Giants game.

I certainly think Horse has plenty he would be challenging the group to get better on

I also feel the playing group believes no matter the margin we can overrun the opposition.

I agree with your "sticking at it" assessment, but I feel as though that has been the constant throughout the season. Even the more recent games.

To me, those "bursts of brilliance" is the team performing at their peak within a game, and its because we've "stuck at it" irrespective of the state of the game that we've hit a patch where our opponent has a lapse and our brilliance shines through.

There are moments in games where each team drops off slightly. Or finds it hard to contain the opposition. I feel as though, for the most part, we've been able to manage the periods where we're not in absolute control, and our opponents haven't been able to do the same to us.

Of course the coaching staff would be looking at those periods where our opponents have gone on a run and would be looking at ways to address that (e.g. Carlton, Geelong start and GWS finish).

What I really like:
1) The impact that Grundy and Heeney have had on our midfield performance. From there everyone has lifted their game. 4 in the top 40 coaches votes 🤩.
2) The success of the "Hydra". Not that they've kicked oodles of goals but we've created an attack that is incredibly difficult to defend against.
3) The success of our two pressure forwards (Wicks and JJ) in holding the ball in our front half. Not all them of course but a significant contribution.
4) Our ability to score quickly in long runs.
5) The effectiveness of our relatively "no-name" defence. Star team vs team of stars. Support by two way mids.
6) Basically every player is playing as well as they ever have. Possible exception Grundy but he's getting close.
7) Keeping the best team on the field. Very important to our good run.
What I am concerned about:
1) Grundy injury. Huge problem.
2) That a number of teams have been able to get significant runs going against us. We have been good enough to overcome them but in a final they might be able to hold us off.
3) Wet weather. GWS showed a way that we can be beaten in the wet. We need to train for that.
4) As many have said the romance of a Carlton premiership. I think only they and Brisbane have the capability. Only Carlton would get the romance factor.

What I really like:
1) The impact that Grundy and Heeney have had on our midfield performance. From there everyone has lifted their game. 4 in the top 40 coaches votes 🤩.
2) The success of the "Hydra". Not that they've kicked oodles of goals but we've created an attack that is incredibly difficult to defend against.
3) The success of our two pressure forwards (Wicks and JJ) in holding the ball in our front half. Not all them of course but a significant contribution.
4) Our ability to score quickly in long runs.
5) The effectiveness of our relatively "no-name" defence. Star team vs team of stars. Support by two way mids.
6) Basically every player is playing as well as they ever have. Possible exception Grundy but he's getting close.
7) Keeping the best team on the field. Very important to our good run.
What I am concerned about:
1) Grundy injury. Huge problem.
2) That a number of teams have been able to get significant runs going against us. We have been good enough to overcome them but in a final they might be able to hold us off.
3) Wet weather. GWS showed a way that we can be beaten in the wet. We need to train for that.
4) As many have said the romance of a Carlton premiership. I think only they and Brisbane have the capability. Only Carlton would get the romance factor.
Can't agree with your concerned point 3, we were always in control. In my opinion we toyed with GWS, had our lead and backed off, all the while keeping control. If anything, it showed me how well our skills hold up in the wet.

Can't agree with your concerned point 3, we were always in control. In my opinion we toyed with GWS, had our lead and backed off, all the while keeping control. If anything, it showed me how well our skills hold up in the wet.
Watching it play out I felt we played the last quarter and a half from behind. GWS kept their handball game going whereas ours faltered somewhat. Their handling was better than ours. We looked a bit tired.
We were in control because of the massive lead we had built up and we did barely enough to prevent them from gaining enough momentum to overtake us.
My concern is "what if that had happened in the Geelong game when we were level at halftime?".

I feel like the "4 quarter effort" is this mythical thing that doesn't happen in modern footy.

Even the shittiest side gets its "turn" of momentum usually, teams go for it in terms of full on pace and pressure in bursts. It's who can do it more often and more effectively.

You do get the odd one like Lions v Power where its total dominance all day, but even then the first quarter was 35-20 hardly a predictor for the dominance to come.

I think modern footy is about the team that takes its chances and is able to convert when it has the game and score quickly. Then it's the team that switches and minimises damage when the other team gets its "turn.

I would say we have been playing the modern four quarter effort of going when we can and holding and stopping the pace /minimising damage when it's recovery or absorbing time.

no, you're spot-on with that ... and that's really where we lost it against richmond ... they made the most of their opportunities when they had momentum, and we had pulled them back when we had momentum, but we got the timing wrong (obviously it wasn't meant to end up being a matter of time) ... another few minutes and we'd likely have won that game
but in all our wins, we really, really capitalise when momentum shifts our way ... or, far more accurately, when we wrench momentum away from opponents ... not only are we the fastest-scoring team, we score in volume too, one or two goals quickly becomes four, five, six goals ...
making the most of opportunities when with momentum is pretty much the biggest difference between us and the rest ... had that not been the case, all those games we gave away starts, those teams, particularly carlton, might've hurt us a lot more

You’re 100% correct and I think of this any time someone laments us not putting together a complete performance.

A complete performance is a win. If you win then it’s complete. How often does any team win every quarter and, even when they do, it’s not by a substantial margin.

We are going as well as any team has in about 20 years at this stage of the season. Enjoy the ride and just hope that we finish with the choccies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just about the most exciting aspect of our development this year is our midfield ... not just this season but for the longer-term future
we will start next season with gulden 22, warner 23, rowbottom and mcinerney 24 and heeney the elder statesman at 28
rowbottom is already past 100 games and gulden, warner and mcinerney will pass 100 games next season ... that's a great base of experience in a group still so young ... imagine them playing together with heeney for another 4-5 years, no matter who among the sheldrick, cleary, roberts or whoever else steps up into that core group
it may prove an impossible dream to keep them together, and injury-free ... but geez, just imagine ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because I'm a a glutton for punishment and wondering where our next loss might come from, I went back and watched the Richmond game. One thing that was really clear to me was that our back 6 struggle in patches against quick and crafty small forwards, especially early on when the speed of the game is high - I think this is one of the main reasons we've been so frequently blown out of the water early: we're so reliant on overall team defense clicking and supporting each other in the contest and that's tough to do when there's pace on the ball coming in our back 50. While Cunningham, Rampe and Roberts are no slouches, they are certainly aren't Nick Smith, and they need our midfielders to get back to apply pressure. Fortunately for us that level of intensity has been difficult for our opposition to sustain over four quarters but it might be our most obvious Achilles heel.

Incidentally, I noticed Caleb Mitchell on debut was pretty lively early but he dropped away significantly as the match went on. Still, he showed some promising signs but clearly needs to find some consistency in the VFL before he's considered for selection again.

How does everyone think we are going at the moment?

Asking that as a genuine question, not a rhetorical one.

We're beating quality teams still, just like we were at the start of the year. We're winning by similar margins and kicking similar scores to what we were at the start of the year. It could be argued our midfield is even better now than it was at the start of the year. And the form of most of our players is arguably getting even better than it was at the start of the year. But something just feels... off?

Is it just that I've gotten so used to us winning and winning comfortably, beating quality teams, and kicking big scores fast that now when it happens it doesn't feel as impressive, even though it really is? Is it the sense that there's this inevitable, impending loss that's making everything we do feel like it's on shaky ground and we're on borrowed time? Are our lapses in games, such as our first quarters recently, or our second half on the weekend, getting worse, or do they just seem like that because I'm looking for cracks? Am I simply daunted by the prospect of daring to dream that we could really have this dominant home and away season?

I have no idea, hence me asking to see if anyone else has this slightly uneasy feeling. It feels like it could be rooted in something, or it could be rooted in absolutely nothing.
We are going really, really well!

Stats wise we continue to maintain the top 1 or 2 spots for most areas, and given the spread of players involved in making sure we win, we're unlikely to get individual honours this year (i.e. Brownlow, etc.).

Game wise, we're adjusting really well to what the other teams bring (i.e. their plan to beat us), we are still maintaining our defence, and someone different is stepping up every week to make their mark.

Coaches continue to come up with strategies and plans, and our preparation and improvements are visible imo, by the different ways in which we win. Medicos deserve quite a bit of credit for the level of fitness without injury... that is outstanding!!

Sure, we might lose one somewhere along the way, but that does not change my thinking...

We are watching a dynasty in the making... this team will be one they are still talking about 10 to 20 years down the track!

I think I just need a good, solid four quarter performance where we keep at it and don't have the proverbial bus parked to reassure me.
This is what you want to see a week or two before the finals and throughout the final series...

Right now, we're practicing game plans and when to put them into play, and how to respond to unexpected moves by thoughtful coaches, what types of things we can do to turn the game when the oppo has momentum... I want to keep seeing this for at least another 4-5 weeks.

Every thing we do now is in preparation for the final series... the last thing you want is to play at peak performance now, its to hard to sustain for another 8-12 weeks. While it might reassure you now, it wouldn't bode well for the finals.

I'm extracting every last drop of joy from this season... we've been through the bad times, and reached the peak a few times, but I believe this is the beginning of a dynasty! The nerves are part of the game, regardless of previous outcomes, the closer you get to winning, the greater the level of nerves... She'll be right mate!

ONWARDS TO VICTORY!! :largeredcircle::mwcirlce::largeredcircle::mwcirlce:

Our forward line has been our biggest weakness all year. I've always questioned whether we can rely so heavily on Gulden, Heeney and Warner kicking goals from the midfield.

Our coaches should really take some inspiration from Collingwood's forward setup. They don't have a clear #1 like us but they're dangerous every time they get a look due to separation.

It's frustrating that out of our 3 big talls - Amartey, Mcdonald and Mclean - it feels like only 1/3 play well in a game and the other 2 have no impact.

If we're going to do any damage in September, we need 2/3 firing every game.

I thought the forwards worked ok today considering the midfield collectively was poor and our best midfielders at that. Jmac was the only one who played above his norm imo , and Campbell though more midfield.

I think the comment above about small forwards is interesting.

Both our losses are in games Rampe was ineffective for most of it, tigers he got hurt and today he was pretty ordinary , didn't have a good match up and got caught out a lot. Arguably he has been good in every other win he played in.

Both ends needs the midfield to dominate (obvious i guess )

But we need to lower the eyes and hit targets forward or keep it in there, otherwise defenders get caught out of position . We also need to be working back to clog space and avoid opposition forwards getting piles of space to run Rampe and co around .

We actually miss Florents better form and Roberts early form in cleaning up defence when it hits the deck. I love Mills as a midfielder but agree with others he may need to take that steadying role in defence at least at times we are down . We seem to give up way too many goals on the ground in or around the goal square, again when it hits the deck

So if you’re going to have to have a loss, this was perfect.

Scored nearly 100. Was switched off early, poor intensity, beaten around the ball. Stars were off.

Yet somehow you surge and almost clinch it with the lesser lights leading the way in a game where your opponents have had your measure nearly all game.

A 1 point loss is great because it burns. A 60 point blowout would have me concerned. Leading by 50 then losing would have me concerned.

Bullish !!

Our forward line has been our biggest weakness all year. I've always questioned whether we can rely so heavily on Gulden, Heeney and Warner kicking goals from the midfield.

Our coaches should really take some inspiration from Collingwood's forward setup. They don't have a clear #1 like us but they're dangerous every time they get a look due to separation.

It's frustrating that out of our 3 big talls - Amartey, Mcdonald and Mclean - it feels like only 1/3 play well in a game and the other 2 have no impact.

If we're going to do any damage in September, we need 2/3 firing every game.
The only thing we should do more like collingwood.. is play 7 of the next 8 games, followed by finals and then the grand final at our Home Ground.
And maybe pay our players Truck Loads from outside the cap through media / sponsorship deals etc

Our goals have been (generally) kicked by our forward half players. IMO that is more sustainable than them being kicked by a 2 or 3 tall forward half players.

Will be very interesting how the rest of the season plays out.
The Swans have all but locked in the minor premiership. Theres outside talk of preparing for finals by resting players etc.
First Crack, The Couch, AFL 360 etc have NFI (no f***ing idea) of how the Swans are going to prepare.

Some decisions will be made by injuries, others by form..
The Mongral Punt described the Swans playing 'bruise free' footy yesterday. Why wouldn't the Swans play like this? I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case over the next 3, 4 or 5 games, before the Swans ramp things up again?
Who knows, but Im confidant that the Swans acknowledge the position they're in and have numerous different plans on how to take best advantage, and prepare for finals. I for one, won't be judging lesser performances, instead Ill be watching with interest the remaining block of games.

Will be very interesting how the rest of the season plays out.
The Swans have all but locked in the minor premiership. Theres outside talk of preparing for finals by resting players etc.
First Crack, The Couch, AFL 360 etc have NFI (no f***ing idea) of how the Swans are going to prepare.

Some decisions will be made by injuries, others by form..
The Mongral Punt described the Swans playing 'bruise free' footy yesterday. Why wouldn't the Swans play like this? I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case over the next 3, 4 or 5 games, before the Swans ramp things up again?
Who knows, but Im confidant that the Swans acknowledge the position they're in and have numerous different plans on how to take best advantage, and prepare for finals. I for one, won't be judging lesser performances, instead Ill be watching with interest the remaining block of games.
I wouldn’t say locked in 1st

Top 4 yer

Our run is pretty hard on way home

The first quarters, is it overstated, is it an issue at all, coincidence? doesn't matter?

I felt like v Carlton and Geelong , Adelaide we were just wasting the ball for instance more so than being flat and shit like Freo, have nothing to back that up than eye test.

But right now we are 311 for 336 against in first terms, so its what 25 points over 13 weeks, it is not that much. Won 7 lost 8 , by comparison Carlton are 10-1-4, but then they are 8-7 in 2nd and 3rds, 9-1-5 in lasts. So again if you don't get smashed does it matter? Pies another comeback team are 9-6 in first quarters,. they often come back to win but not quite starting behind as much as us. Freo in 3rd are 7-8 like us. I guess my thoughts are we arent much different to oher top sides.

But our first quarter losses have mostly been recent so maybe that's it. 6 of the last 8, so we have gone from 6-2 in first quarters earlier in the year, havent spread ours out much.

I think yesterday was not so much the first, but the fact we still stayed shit in the second as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back