No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly glad the Giants lost, because if we were fortunate to make the GF and had to face the Giants, the "fourth time lucky" for Giants to beat us this season would be playing on my mind the whole week. Luckily that's not a concern because they choked harder than we did in 2016.

Honestly glad the Giants lost, because if we were fortunate to make the GF and had to face the Giants, the "fourth time lucky" for Giants to beat us this season would be playing on my mind the whole week. Luckily that's not a concern because they choked harder than we did in 2016.
We didn't choke !

Or there's nothing lucky about us beating the Giants three times this year. Maybe we're just a better side at the moment.

On the other hand, we've not beaten Port or Brisbane for several seasons, with the Port drought being longer than the Brisbane one. And our record at the SCG against Geelong is good in recent years, but not so much down in Melbourne.

So I'd have been quite happy to face the Giants at the MCG on Grand Final weekend. But that doesn't mean I think we're doomed to failure now we won't play them (and might not even get there).

Or there's nothing lucky about us beating the Giants three times this year. Maybe we're just a better side at the moment.

On the other hand, we've not beaten Port or Brisbane for several seasons, with the Port drought being longer than the Brisbane one. And our record at the SCG against Geelong is good in recent years, but not so much down in Melbourne.

So I'd have been quite happy to face the Giants at the MCG on Grand Final weekend. But that doesn't mean I think we're doomed to failure now we won't play them (and might not even get there).
I never said we were lucky to beat them. Based on personal sporting experiences, I have been part of teams who have beaten the same side multiple times during the year, and then ultimately losing the decider. I was just pointing out a personal worry if we were to play them in the big one 😊

I never said we were lucky to beat them. Based on personal sporting experiences, I have been part of teams who have beaten the same side multiple times during the year, and then ultimately losing the decider. I was just pointing out a personal worry if we were to play them in the big one 😊
Like you, I'm somewhat relieved Giants are out of the running because I'd have the same concern going into it. Particularly given they had our measure for a fair portion of our last encounter, there's no guarantee we'd be able to claw back a deficit in a GF.

In saying that, the Giants capitulation against the Lions suggests it would have been possible even if we'd given away a head start.

I know according to the media there are only three good coaches in the league (Scott, Mitchell, McCrae), but Fagan getting Brisbane to another prelim after four of their best 22 went down with ACLs in the first half of the year is a pretty amazing effort.
I think you've got that wrong... Longmire is openly acknowledged as the second best coach in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We smashed the Cats in the 16 Prelim and im sure we didn't play them again at the G to 22

Were you there ? all i remember is that i was surrounded by Geelong smartarse rats
I was there. I'd have been sitting amongst Swans people but that didn't make it any less unenjoyable. I did manage to catch up with a couple of Melbourne-based acquaintances before the game, though, so it wasn't a completely dud weekend.

The 2016 PF was much more fun.

F me how stiff was Heeney
Clear AFL directive I reckon - “Under no circumstances is Player Heeney to be extended leniency - we cannot have a NSW poster boy winning the Brownlow - it must be a player from a Victorian side, preferably with a Mediterranean background, so all the ***s will buy memberships next year”

Last edited:
This isn't an AFL thing as more of a sport thing in general but I was thinking today and I wondered "why do we say the last names of players and not their first names"?

I mean would "Brodie taps it to Callum, who handballs it to Isaac, who runs with it and kicks it to Joel who marks it 30 metres out right in front" really be that much worse than "Grundy taps it to Mills, who handballs it to Heeney and runs with it and kicks it to Amartey who marks it 30 metres out right in front"?

I mean I get that there are more last names than first names, but not that much more.

This isn't an AFL thing as more of a sport thing in general but I was thinking today and I wondered "why do we say the last names of players and not their first names"?

I mean would "Brodie taps it to Callum, who handballs it to Isaac, who runs with it and kicks it to Joel who marks it 30 metres out right in front" really be that much worse than "Grundy taps it to Mills, who handballs it to Heeney and runs with it and kicks it to Amartey who marks it 30 metres out right in front"?

I mean I get that there are more last names than first names, but not that much more.
James handballs it to James who is tackled by Will, the loose ball is gathered by James but the kick is smothered by Isaac, Isaac gathers the ball and delivers it inside 50 to a one on one marking contest between James and James but Isaac cuts across and takes the intercepting mark.

Pretty simple I would have thought. Your last paragraph is on the right track. And yeah I'd say there's quite a few more last names than first names.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back