No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They flogged us by 10 goals in the 17 semi

That game was very disappointing. I remember we started that season 0-6, and then went on a crazy run and looked almost unbeatable (the Hawthorn games notwithstanding) until that semi. The capitulation really shocked me as I was very confident we would win.

That game aside, that was one of the funnest seasons I can remember. From early despair to complete dominance, it was just very enjoyable watching us swat everyone aside and march up the ladder every week. That was the most dominant I had ever seen us until the first 14 games this season.

Last edited:

It isn't just the AFL though. Formula 1 has no double ups when it comes to first names and yet they call every driver by their last name.

Because it's standard practice. They don't change the practice just because there's no duplicate first names for that particular race.

It isn't just the AFL though. Formula 1 has no double ups when it comes to first names and yet they call every driver by their last name.

You sound like you were born yesterday. Last names are more professional and culturally appropriate. It’s a social norm not exclusive to sports. First names are generally for family and friends. They imply a form of intimate familiarity and would sound inappropriate coming from sports commentators.

Calling players by their first name only actually happens in AFL more than any other sport I’ve seen. Things like “Now here’s Toby! Toby goes for goal! Toby the legend!!!”. It always sounded annoying and unprofessional to me.

Longmore isnt openly acknowledged as second best anything. Doesn't get mentioned.

Scott, Hardwick, Clarkson for a start have superior records

Why refer to players by name at all?? They have numbers on the back, just say 14 kicks to 5! Simple

I think it’s really important for the expansion of the game that there is a second team in Sydney.

But FMD, Engie Stadium (which I really like) only has a capacity of 23,000, and they didn’t even sell that out!

18,000 for a final is pathetic.

I really don’t know what GWS can do to attract more fans. They’re competitive, seems to be a well-run club, the AFL wants them to succeed. It’s going to take 30 years at this rate.

I think it’s really important for the expansion of the game that there is a second team in Sydney.

But FMD, Engie Stadium (which I really like) only has a capacity of 23,000, and they didn’t even sell that out!

I really don’t know what GWS can do to attract more fans. They’re competitive, seems to be a well-run club, the AFL wants them to succeed. It’s going to take 30 years at this rate.
They should be in Canberra , simple as that

You sound like you were born yesterday. Last names are more professional and culturally appropriate. It’s a social norm not exclusive to sports. First names are generally for family and friends. They imply a form of intimate familiarity and would sound inappropriate coming from sports commentators.

Calling players by their first name only actually happens in AFL more than any other sport I’ve seen. Things like “Now here’s Toby! Toby goes for goal! Toby the legend!!!”. It always sounded annoying and unprofessional to me.

It isn't a born yesterday thing, it is a "why do we do this" sort of thing, a common custom that doesn't always make a lot of sense but we continue it because that is how it has always been. Sort of like telling kids to get their elbows off the table. The only reason that is done is because our parents told us that, and their parents told them that.

It isn't a born yesterday thing, it is a "why do we do this" sort of thing, a common custom that doesn't always make a lot of sense but we continue it because that is how it has always been. Sort of like telling kids to get their elbows off the table. The only reason that is done is because our parents told us that, and their parents told them that.
It's been explained for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't an AFL thing as more of a sport thing in general but I was thinking today and I wondered "why do we say the last names of players and not their first names"?

I mean would "Brodie taps it to Callum, who handballs it to Isaac, who runs with it and kicks it to Joel who marks it 30 metres out right in front" really be that much worse than "Grundy taps it to Mills, who handballs it to Heeney and runs with it and kicks it to Amartey who marks it 30 metres out right in front"?

I mean I get that there are more last names than first names, but not that much more.
Ahem there was a time when the Swans had five Jarrads on their list.

I am just spitballing, I don't actually care that much.

And again, you've had it explained, and yet you keep pushing back on it. Seems you care a bit.

The problem is GWS have strayed to far from their original home in Blacktown , further complicated by having the Showground as a home ground and out of action for 2 months each season because of the Royal Easter Show.

The problem is GWS have strayed to far from their original home in Blacktown , further complicated by having the Showground as a home ground and out of action for 2 months each season because of the Royal Easter Show.
Moving from Blacktown to Homebush was the AFL realising that they would never win over the true West of Sydney. League is king out there with the Caucasians and Polynesians as evident by 3 NRL teams based out in "GWS". Asians, Indians, Muslims and Africans (besides some South Sudanese) just not interested in contact sport and prefer other games like cricket, soccer and basketball.

Moving from Blacktown to Homebush was the AFL realising that they would never win over the true West of Sydney. League is king out there with the Caucasians and Polynesians as evident by 3 NRL teams based out in "GWS". Asians, Indians, Muslims and Africans (besides some South Sudanese) just not interested in contact sport and prefer other games like cricket, soccer and basketball.
Why did you list Muslims alongside a number of geographical groups?

I don't claim to know the geography or the inner workings of western sydney, but I feel like the only way GWS are going to succeed is through embedding themselves in the local community.

I wonder if the AFL will eventually re-zone parts of metropolitan sydney to give more access to GWS.

Quite damning that despite being an uncompetitive rabble for their entire existence, Gold Coast average better home crowds.

Looks to me like they haven’t really embraced the ‘Western Sydney’ aspect of their identity.

They spend two months hosting games in Canberra near the start of each season.

They are based at Olympic Park which is east of Parramatta, I don’t think the Swans needed a second team to help grow the game in the inner west. We got good crowds at Homebush for a decade while playing at ANZ.

Their AFLW team hosts games at Manuka and Henson Park, Henson Park is the same home ground as the Swans AFLW team, so can’t see how that is an exercise helping grow the game in Western Sydney.

I don't claim to know the geography or the inner workings of western sydney, but I feel like the only way GWS are going to succeed is through embedding themselves in the local community.

I wonder if the AFL will eventually re-zone parts of metropolitan sydney to give more access to GWS.

Homebush just isn't west enough. Really the stadium needed to be in Parramatta or Blacktown, or if the AFL really wanted to upgrade the stadium they built at Rooty Hill.

Why did you list Muslims alongside a number of geographical groups?
Sorry, just trying to be succinct but can see how it doesn't quite match with the geographical groups I've mentioned. I recognise Muslims can come from any part of the world, including the regions I mentioned in the comment. Instead, I should have referred to people from Turkey, Middle East and North Africa who also can be of other faiths.

My original comment was a poor description - apologies.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back