No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct me if I am wrong but for all the wonderful social media memes the Canberra Giants put out, a grand total of sweet **** all seems to be about their work in the west Sydney community.

Riding on our coat tails and not willing to do the work to establish themselves within the community.
I googled GWS Giants Penrith because I was curious on how often their players set foot there.

Couldn’t find a whole lot of media but did find this.

Longmore isnt openly acknowledged as second best anything. Doesn't get mentioned.

Scott, Hardwick, Clarkson for a start have superior records

Why refer to players by name at all?? They have numbers on the back, just say 14 kicks to 5! Simple
Why bother using numbers at all when you can refer to the colour of the guernseys each team is wearing. "The player in orange kicks it... oh, it's been intercepted by the player in red."

Homebush just isn't west enough. Really the stadium needed to be in Parramatta or Blacktown, or if the AFL really wanted to upgrade the stadium they built at Rooty Hill.
If you listen to some Swans fans from the Eastern suburbs you could be forgiven for thinking Homebush is the last stop before the Nullarbor.

I googled GWS Giants Penrith because I was curious on how often their players set foot there.

Couldn’t find a whole lot of media but did find this.w

I took the train from Penrith in to the SCG for the GWS game, and there were actually a fair few GWS supporters on board. Probably what surprised me most was how many Swans supporters there were, even out there.

Couldn’t find a whole lot of media but did find this.

That article makes for grim reading. I just can't see the game getting traction out west. It's equivalent to the NRL artificially planting another team in Melbourne smack bang in Collingwood or Carlton's heartland and hoping they can convert kids and families to league.

Not sure if I've mentioned it previously but my son plays U13s at our local club. We live in a pretty diverse area with plenty of Asian and Indian families. He is the only Asian kid playing in his age group which consists of 100 boys. No boys of Indian origin have ever played with my son in the 9 years he's been at the club. Yet he plays with plenty of Asian and Indian kids in club and school cricket and soccer.

I live closer to homebush than I do the SCG so can understand people from the eastern suburbs not wanting to venture out there. There's much more to do around Moore Park compared to Homebush.
This is the real issue. There’s next to nothing to do before or after a game and it takes half the fun out of it imo. You’re basically left in a huge, empty sporting precinct with a handful of subpar bars/eateries. You can’t really walk anywhere, you’re either on the train or struggling to get out of a carpark.

This is the real issue. There’s next to nothing to do before or after a game and it takes half the fun out of it imo. You’re basically left in a huge, empty sporting precinct with a handful of subpar bars/eateries. You can’t really walk anywhere, you’re either on the train or struggling to get out of a carpark.

Which is why Parramatta would have been so much better as Parramatta is a much better area from this perspective than Homebush is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They set the standard with Clarkson and the Saints players, then McCartney and Papley. If it's over the top it was for all of them (clearly a matter of opinion), but having set the standard they couldn't go lower. Hinkley knew it was coming.

Yeah McCartney made contact during a break in play and got the same fine as a coach talking to someone post game

Yeah McCartney made contact during a break in play and got the same fine as a coach talking to someone post game

The coach needs to set an example. Of course they're held to higher standards than the players.

I dunno, it was just so unseemly. Hinkley had just won. Ginivan was proved wrong and the Hawthorn players were sitting around disconsolate. Putting the boot in at that moment showed a complete lack of class and self control. It was really nasty and stupid.

So true re the car park !!! Takes longer to get out of it than the drive home.

And it’s also cold and a massive wind tunnel.

Plus the only atmosphere is if you’re actually playing.

Aside from that, it’s great !

The coach needs to set an example. Of course they're held to higher standards than the players.

I dunno, it was just so unseemly. Hinkley had just won. Ginivan was proved wrong and the Hawthorn players were sitting around disconsolate. Putting the boot in at that moment showed a complete lack of class and self control. It was really nasty and stupid.

It was a bit of banter at a cocky flog , it was has hardly nasty, bit childish , but where are we at if we can't laugh that off.

Oh well the AFL agree with you and thank **** we won't have people talking again.

Next we will fine Cox for celebrating in the box too hard

Wait till the metro opens there...

Bringing the GWS discussion here.

There are some odd takes IMO.

This isn't a short term plan. This is a long game.
The whole demographic makeup of western Sydney is incredibly complex and evolving. It's ripe for expansion.

This is related to TV rights. Basically the biggest market in Australia.

The Racism that has been displayed at times by people on different threads is just weird.

As for success. I remember going to the SCG with free tickets in 91-93 . It was as empty AF. It was a real tough time. No one at that time could foresee the success the side would have.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back