F1 2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Race Weekend Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of interest, what happens to Lando's penalty? Does it expire with the retirement or get carried over?
Good question, I was wondering this myself.

There's already been cases this year of someone retiring before they served their penalty and it gets carried over into the next race weekend as a qualifying grid drop (5-10places).

I didn't rewatch but in Norris' case they probably served his penalty in that final stop while they tried to replace the front before Norris eventually pulled the pin?

Only cos Oscar froze and gave him the “you moron” look at him haha
Smirking at the attempted play on an in-joke following Oscar's twitter posting this year about wanting to make every race his home grand prix this year was how I saw it.

Reckon his post race interviews of Horner and Stella were relentless and brilliant.

The one with Horner was brilliant...

Ted proved after Abu Dhabi 2021, that he is incapable of doing his job properly. That is, being objective and making impartial analysis. He had to be spoken to a number of times about that, nothing has changed, the different way he interviewed Horner and The Mc Laren principal shows he was interrogating his own sensationalist narrative, not prosecuting each party for the facts.

Ted proved after Abu Dhabi 2021, that he is incapable of doing his job properly. That is, being objective and making impartial analysis. He had to be spoken to a number of times about that, nothing has changed, the different way he interviewed Horner and The Mc Laren principal shows he was interrogating his own sensationalist narrative, not prosecuting each party for the facts.
Curious as to how you know this

Watching live I thought Oscar was over the edge more than once.
The appeal nonsense is standard FIA clownery.

hmm! so you saw oscar exceed track limits more than once but the powers that be with all the technology didn’t.

please link to where the stewards have before used those bogus lines to give a penalty.

martin brundle said during the call the penalty on oscar was “harsh” and he is the master of understatement

Ted proved after Abu Dhabi 2021, that he is incapable of doing his job properly. That is, being objective and making impartial analysis.
That's what you see as his job. I think otherwise. Subjective analysis is very much part of his special comments role for a commercial broadcaster. And he would be the first to admit he is biased in that role. It's entertainment and upsetting people is all part of the game.

He works for a British broadcaster btw so no surprises he carries a clear pro Brit bias.

He had to be spoken to a number of times about that,

LOL. He was boycotted by RedBull Racing for his comments after the disgraceful farce that was the way the 2021 Abu Dhabi GP (and 2021 World Driver's Championship) ended.

And he's still there btw.

The Mc Laren principal shows he was interrogating his own sensationalist narrative, not prosecuting each party for the facts.

FFS. He's an entertainer providing comments for a commercial TV program not a detective or lawyer or race steward working for F1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

reckon the virtual safety car may just have been enough the make passing russell too hard. geez russell's tyres looked shot at the end.
I'm still wondering what caused the VSC?

Surely it wasn't due to debris on the track, caused by the Max/Lando collision, or from Lando's car self-destructing on the way back to the pits? They'd need a full safety car if they were sending race officials out to clean up the track.

Did someone else go off, that we didn't see, because they were focusing on the aftermath of the Max/Lando crash?

The VSC didn't last very long. I'm fairly sure the 8-second time gap we saw between Oscar & George (during the VSC) was an incorrect reading, given that it was 3 seconds before & after the VSC.

The VSC probably didn't cost Piastri the win. He was still 1.9 seconds behind Russell at the finish line, so he would have needed another 3-4 laps to catch him. The VSC didn't last that long.

Race notes say 'damage left out on track due to the delaminated rear tyre from car number 4 (Norris) required a brief VSC'.
I didn't think they sent race officials onto a live track, unless the pack was bunched up behind a physical SC. The VSC slows the cars down, but they're still distributed all the way around the track, so there would be a constant flow of cars going past the official on the track.

Looks like I was wrong.

when he got out of car you could see 1 tyre looking bad
Max's tyre came off the hub, but remained relatively intact. Lando's delaminated, and smashed a lot of carbon fibre bodywork while he was driving back to the pits. There was a LOT of damage to the right rear corner of Lando's car.

Curious as to how you know this

I do recall in live broadcast a number of times last year that Ted said words to the effect of:

I've been told not to talk about this or express my views on this any further.

Or referring to Abu Dhabi as the incident or the event that shall not be named etc.

Sorry I'm paraphrasing and I dont remember the specific words or GP but I certainly noticed it with his evolving commentary through the year.

I'd agree he definetely got told to reign it in and leave it in the past.

And it ignores the fact that 'the girls' uncovered the most crucial bit of information out of Russell as to how he won the race...(and it had me googling 'padel' before I went to bed last night).

The fact that nobody complains about Simon Lazenby's lack of F1 experience, tells you its a gender thing.

Natalie and Rachel Brooks are good hosts.
Bernie offers experience and insight that nobody in the commentary team has.
Danica is awful I will give you that.
Naomi is largely unnoticeable in my view. Doesn't say the wrong thing, but doesn't really have many unique observations.

I didn't think they sent race officials onto a live track, unless the pack was bunched up behind a physical SC. The VSC slows the cars down, but they're still distributed all the way around the track, so there would be a constant flow of cars going past the official on the track.

Looks like I was wrong.
They may not have? It may have been entirely precautionary to slow everyone while they checked with by reviewing footage of the accident or getting on the binnoculars?

Safer to slow everyone while you decide a next step.

Just finished watching the replay. Maybe I don't know enough about racing but that looked like Lando's fault to me. I seem to be in the minority though. Good result for Mercedes as well as Piastri and Ricciardo.

The funniest part of all this, is Max copped a puncture, limped two thirds of a lap all the way back to the pits, copped a 10 second penalty and still finished ahead of Perez 😂😂
haha to add further insult to Perez, Max also accidently turned his pit limiter on during the VSC so lost a further 4 seconds to Perez on top of all of the above and still finished ahead of him 🤣

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back