F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Should never have left Red Bull when he did.

The Renault move in particular was poor. McLaren was just 2 or 3 years too early.

In hindsight - yes.

At the time, it had the potential to pay off. Sole manufacturer with the backing of France's largest automobile company and guaranteed number one driver. I don't blame him for the move, he was never going to compete for a WDC if he's on the same team as Max.

Should never have left Red Bull when he did.

The Renault move in particular was poor. McLaren was just 2 or 3 years too early.
Never agreed that leaving Red Bull was a bad move, maybe where he went to was. Was clear he would always be considered number two behind Max. Horner stated early they were grooming Max to be the youngest world champion.

In hindsight - yes.

At the time, it had the potential to pay off. Sole manufacturer with the backing of France's largest automobile company and guaranteed number one driver. I don't blame him for the move, he was never going to compete for a WDC if he's on the same team as Max.
You reckon? I don't think anyone genuinely believed Renault was anywhere near competing, even at the time.

Never agreed that leaving Red Bull was a bad move, maybe where he went to was. Was clear he would always be considered number two behind Max. Horner stated early they were grooming Max to be the youngest world champion.
Where else should he have gone? Ferrari and Mercedes had clear number 1 drivers. Anywhere else was never competing.

Probably needed to concede his chances at winning a WDC was done - at least at Red Bull he could win more races and compete at the pointy end consistently.

You reckon? I don't think anyone genuinely believed Renault was anywhere near competing, even at the time.

Similar claims were made about Hamilton moving to Mercedes - a team that had not yet had a win and only a handful of podium results since their re-entry into F1.

It was a gamble he had to make if he wanted a WDC, as Thistle pointed out.

Chances he gets a seat elsewhere?
Alpine. They've gone downhill since he left.
Ricciardo gave them their best season for a long, long time. They were going ok. If Black White is right about the relationship Zak Brown and Lando Norris have, moving to Mclaren was the bad move.

Ricciardo would be a better driver for Sauber or Haas than any of Hulkenberg, Magnussen or Ocon. Given Sauber ideally need a junior to pair with Hulkenberg and Haas seem pretty keen on Ocon, it looks like curtains for Ricciardo in F1.

Similar claims were made about Hamilton moving to Mercedes - a team that had not yet had a win and only a handful of podium results since their re-entry into F1.
The team won the championship in 09, and Mclaren were the factory MB team anyway. It was hardly a risk for Hamilton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll have suitors outside of F1 for sure. Would slot right into Indy or the WEC, he has the profile to be attractive to NASCAR but not the best fit for his skills. But given its Danny Ric wouldn't be surprised to see him take up a gig in commentary either, maybe he can be the new Karun?

It was a gamble he had to make if he wanted a WDC, as Thistle pointed out.
Guess that's more my point, he was never good enough for a WDC. If he was, he wouldn't have had to chase that at a lesser team.

At least he'll never have to guess, he did give it a crack.

He'll have suitors outside of F1 for sure. Would slot right into Indy or the WEC, he has the profile to be attractive to NASCAR but not the best fit for his skills. But given its Danny Ric wouldn't be surprised to see him take up a gig in commentary either, maybe he can be the new Karun?
Obviously he's got the personality to work in the media, but I must admit anytime I've heard him talk about driving, I've never really felt like he gave great analysis or insight.

So do we think he race up until Spa and the mid season break ? (Austria, Silverstone, Hungary and Spa)

Obviously he's got the personality to work in the media, but I must admit anytime I've heard him talk about driving, I've never really felt like he gave great analysis or insight.

So do we think he race up until Spa and the mid season break ? (Austria, Silverstone, Hungary and Spa)
I assumed at the end of this triple header.

I wonder what RB will do if Lawson bombs for the rest of the season?
He'd probably be locked in for 2025, but who is next up for a seat junior wise?

What if Red Bull pulled a McLaren on Piastri esque move, and secured Antonelli. Toto would be apoplectic
If Mercedes 2026 PU is half as good as the gushing is making it out to be, Antonelli isn't not going to Mercedes

Guess that's more my point, he was never good enough for a WDC. If he was, he wouldn't have had to chase that at a lesser team.

At least he'll never have to guess, he did give it a crack.
Yes he is (Was?)

Wtf are you talking about? Other people are reading your comments.

He sits comfortably in the tier of an "uncrowned champ". His name wouldn't look out of place in the F1 driver's champ list.

He's had some seasons that were better production than the champ those seasons (14, 16, 20)

His stats are similar to Mark Webber, except he's never driven a championship contender.

His purple patch of success is similar to the six-year period Hamilton had between his first and second titles, but he actually finished in the top three, and never drove a championship contender.

If nothing else, he's the third-best all-time Australian racing driver.

Jesus Christ.

Yes he is (Was?)

He sits comfortably in the tier of an "uncrowned champ". His name wouldn't look out of place in the F1 driver's champ list.

He's had some seasons that were better production than the champ those seasons (14, 16, 20)

His stats are similar to Mark Webber, except he's never driven a championship contender.

His purple patch of success is similar to the six-year period Hamilton had between his first and second titles, but he actually finished in the top three, and never drove a championship contender.

Jesus Christ.
No, he wasn't. And sorry but history will back me up on that.

No top tier team thought he was talented enough to make him their number 1 driver. He was at Red Bull, they still preferred Max.

Being the third best Australian driver means absolutely nothing to anyone that isn't Australian.

I get it, he's a nice guy and he's Aussie. He's obviously talented. He's not in the very top tier though.

Yes he is (Was?)

Jesus Christ.
As for this, ****ing lol.

What an achievement that is. He can sit around with the other "uncrowned champs" talking about all the titles they didn't win.

Apparently the journalist claiming the "within a few weeks" source is incredibly unreliable, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the specifics.

But Helmuts comments do make his days seem numbered.
haha yeah when I saw the news.com.au article describe him as "Veteran Formula 1 journalist Joel Saward" I had a good chuckle......Saward has way more misses than hits.

But yeah like you said, Helmut's words are the ones we need to pay attention to

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back