Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We desperately need a Treacy to come on next year. Still young but fourth year in the system….
Treacy is projecting really well, it's pretty rare for a young Key Forward to come on like Amiss has. Treacy may never be an All-Australian but he's become a tremendous team player and improves everyone around him.

I've no doubt he'll blossom further next year after the experience he's gained this year.

Treacy is projecting really well, it's pretty rare for a young Key Forward to come on like Amiss has. Treacy may never be an All-Australian but he's become a tremendous team player and improves everyone around him.

I've no doubt he'll blossom further next year after the experience he's gained this year.

Once he’s relieved of his ruck duties he’ll be able to use that huge tank of his to get up the ground. He’ll also increase his pressure while he’s not too gassed. He’s a great partner for Amiss.

FB: Ryan/Pearce/Clark
HB: Chapman/Cox/Wagner

- Backline looks much better in the back half of the season with Cox & Pearce finding form. Chapman returning is massive, we've missed him all season. Both Clark and Wagner have also been great since Walker's injury, Clark's filled that shutdown role well and Wagner's been able to thrive as that rebounding role that Clark had before.

Mid: Henry/Brodie/Brayshaw
Fol: Darcy/Young/Serong

- Brodie's our best clearance player (all due respect to Serong) and there's a reason we struggle against Cripps, De Goey ect - he's got the size and skills we need. Frees up Brayshaw to do whatever required is a strength and the most exciting part? Young in the middle for 2024. Still hoping we keep Henry since his speed and footskills, especially for inside 50's are such a weapon. This will be our premiership midfield IMO.

HF: Schultz/Treacy/Fredrick
FF: Jackson/Amiss/Sturt

- So exciting, JJJ & Sturt with another year of development plus Schultz's improvement from 2023 means we've actully got some potency here. Walters stays in as the old head for the experience and hopefully we'll see more of Emmett - someone made the comparison to SPP and I think that's spot on. The Treacy/Schultz/Freddy/Emmett pressure will be immense.

Int: Walters, Emmett, Johnson, Switta
Sub: Fyfe

- Forward/Midfield rotations to maintain pressure ect. Honestly Fyfe as a sub might be the perfect role for him IMO - limited game time to manage his body and comes in fresh as a wrecking ball through the middle/forward. Genuine game changer

Notable Depth:

JOM - Man replaced Brodie this season and we were noticeably worse. Time to swap out and see how the future looks
Aish - Big fan but getting squeezed out with Chapman returning, Young moving to the middle and Brayshaw to the wing.
Erasmus - Still young, will break into the side sooner rather than later
NOD - 1st in for Henry if he leaves, still got hope he'll re-find that pre-injury form from last season.
Stanley - Let him build that tank in the WAFL, has the talent.
Hamling - Still got it, but finds himself behind the captain unfortunately. Too good to delist for nothing
Reidy - Developing well, insurance for Darcy (Treacy covers Jackson if he goes down)
Tab - Insurance/Rest for the young talls. Too many soft tissue/foot/back injuries to plan around going forward
Worner - 4th or 5th in line for both his roles (HBF & Wing). Still young and will got another crack later in the year

2024 round 1 side.

Ryan(28) Pearce (28) Chapman (22)
Clark (23) Cox (25) Wagner (27)
Sharp (22) Brodie (25) Brayshaw (24)
Emmett (22) Treacy (22) Jackson (22)
Walters (33) Amiss (21) Shultz (25)

Darcy (26) Serong (23) Young (23)

Int: Johnson (21), Freddy (24), Aish (27), Sturt. (24)

Sub Fyfe. (31)

Emerg: Switta, Erasmus, Hughes.

Notes. - Have put the ages of players by next August to give an idea. It's a young side - but not that young. (I had some time on my side and calculated that the average age of this side next August will be 24.7. This side is starting to look the goods from an age perspective. Every player on here, with the exception of Wagner and Emmett, are into at least their 3rd year in an AFL system. Wagner and Emmett have a fair bit of state league experience behind them. Only 2 old guys in Walters and Fyfe, the rest between 21-28 (as of next year).

- Brodie needs to be back in for JOM. Just use him for his clearance work, where he ranks elite.
- Brayshaw to a wing.
- Ryan is banished from kicking in. Give it to Clark or Wagner and tell them to run/create.
- Walker and Keuk to be given a shot at some point.
- Please can we get 15 games out of Fyfe....
- Still think we lack one key forward (Chol?).

Last edited:
B: Ryan Pearce Wagner
HB: Clark Cox Chapman
M: Switta Young NOD
HF: Jackson Treacy Freddy
F: Schultz Amiss Sturt
R: Darcy Serong Brayshaw

B: Aish Erasmus Walters Johnson

Sub: Emmett

Question marks
Can NOD get back to his best?
Can Fyfe, Walker have a good preason and push for best 22

Depth: JOM, Stanley, Walker, Fyfe

Biggest need: Schultz, Freddy are a bit one dimensional, I would love another Walters (or 2) who can mark 1v1, bring the ball to ground 1v2, provide a lead and crumb the ball.

FB: Ryan/Pearce/Clark
HB: Chapman/Cox/Wagner

- Backline looks much better in the back half of the season with Cox & Pearce finding form. Chapman returning is massive, we've missed him all season. Both Clark and Wagner have also been great since Walker's injury, Clark's filled that shutdown role well and Wagner's been able to thrive as that rebounding role that Clark had before.

Mid: Henry/Brodie/Brayshaw
Fol: Darcy/Young/Serong

- Brodie's our best clearance player (all due respect to Serong) and there's a reason we struggle against Cripps, De Goey ect - he's got the size and skills we need. Frees up Brayshaw to do whatever required is a strength and the most exciting part? Young in the middle for 2024. Still hoping we keep Henry since his speed and footskills, especially for inside 50's are such a weapon. This will be our premiership midfield IMO.

HF: Schultz/Treacy/Fredrick
FF: Jackson/Amiss/Sturt

- So exciting, JJJ & Sturt with another year of development plus Schultz's improvement from 2023 means we've actully got some potency here. Walters stays in as the old head for the experience and hopefully we'll see more of Emmett - someone made the comparison to SPP and I think that's spot on. The Treacy/Schultz/Freddy/Emmett pressure will be immense.

Int: Walters, Emmett, Johnson, Switta

- Forward/Midfield rotations to maintain pressure ect. Honestly Fyfe as a sub might be the perfect role for him IMO - limited game time to manage his body and comes in fresh as a wrecking ball through the middle/forward. Genuine game changer

Notable Depth:

JOM - Man replaced Brodie this season and we were noticeably worse. Time to swap out and see how the future looks
Aish - Big fan but getting squeezed out with Chapman returning, Young moving to the middle and Brayshaw to the wing.
Erasmus - Still young, will break into the side sooner rather than later
NOD - 1st in for Henry if he leaves, still got hope he'll re-find that pre-injury form from last season.
Stanley - Let him build that tank in the WAFL, has the talent.
Hamling - Still got it, but finds himself behind the captain unfortunately. Too good to delist for nothing
Reidy - Developing well, insurance for Darcy (Treacy covers Jackson if he goes down)
Tab - Insurance/Rest for the young talls. Too many soft tissue/foot/back injuries to plan around going forward
Worner - 4th or 5th in line for both his roles (HBF & Wing). Still young and will got another crack later in the year
Pretty much agree with this but have a few changes.

Out: Henry, Brodie, Emmett
In: NOD/Stanley/Sharp, Aish, JOM/Brodie (I know)

FB: Ryan- Pearce- Clark

No change

HB: Chapman- Cox- Wagner

No change

C: NOD/Stanley/Sharp- Brayshaw- Frederick

Whilst I think Brayshaw to wing is definitely something to try in preseason, I'm yet to see evidence for him on a wing and just because we have a spot, doesn't mean we should sacrifice AB. LW is up in the air with Stanley inexperienced, Sharp an unknown and NOD just a few steps off in the WAFL. Not writing him off like some others but needs an uninterrupted preseason. Frederick's tendency to drift out of games may be solved with the move to the wing although I wouldn't have all his TOG on the wing.

Foll: Darcy- Young- Serong

No change

HF: Schultz- Treacy- Switta

Switta fills the spot opened up by Frederick

FF: Jackson- Amiss- Sturt

No change

Int: Walters- Johnson- Aish- JOM/Brodie

Aish is in ahead of Emmett basically because whilst Emmett is impressive, unless he can spend a bit of time on the wing like I believe Aish can, then there is simply no spot for him. Still need a mid with two interesting options. JOM was capable this season and his ability to go to HF will give flexibility with Fyfe as sub. However, if Brodie can fix what the coaches need of him, he walks back into this side. Until then however, I believe he is doomed to sit outside the team

No change

Would also add Davies to notable depth as he has been improving throughout the year and whilst he is not quite ready yet, a big preseason could have him in the mix for a debut in 2024. Just a quick note on Worner, today I saw a player with no confidence. Similar to NOD, I'm not writing him off yet. Just because you have a bad end to a season, doesn't mean your good start ceases to exist.

Ryan. Cox. Young

Clark. Pearce. Hamling/Chapman

Federick. Johnson. Switkowski

Sturt. Jackson. Treacy

Emmett. Amiss. Shultz

Darcy
Serong
Brayshaw

Erasmus
Walters
Fyfe
Omera

We have a decent team on paper but nothing jumps out as X factor apart from possibly Federick and Jackson. Most of the bench could probably be replaced. Walters is done and probably the same with fyfe and Omera. Would love to replace walters with a mature young small forward with X factor and ditto with the two mids in fyfe and omera 2 mature young mids with X factor. We need SPEED. I think this draft should be focused on bringing in mature young players in the 19-25 year range to get the small forward and mids to get the X factor and speed we need. We don’t have any high picks in the top 10 and we have a young list already. Look to the state leagues and see what we can find to fix what needs addressing and that’s X factor and speed in the forward line and midfield

Ryan. Cox. Young

Clark. Pearce. Hamling/Chapman

Federick. Johnson. Switkowski

Sturt. Jackson. Treacy

Emmett. Amiss. Shultz

Darcy
Serong
Brayshaw

Erasmus
Walters
Fyfe
Omera

We have a decent team on paper but nothing jumps out as X factor apart from possibly Federick and Jackson. Most of the bench could probably be replaced. Walters is done and probably the same with fyfe and Omera. Would love to replace walters with a mature young small forward with X factor and ditto with the two mids in fyfe and omera 2 mature young mids with X factor. We need SPEED. I think this draft should be focused on bringing in mature young players in the 19-25 year range to get the small forward and mids to get the X factor and speed we need. We don’t have any high picks in the top 10 and we have a young list already. Look to the state leagues and see what we can find to fix what needs addressing and that’s X factor and speed in the forward line and midfield

No Aish? And I don't think I have ever seen Switkowski play any sizeable time on wing; Frederick did this season at times but only pinch hitting, and I can't see him playing wing next year as he is too valuable stationed as a half forward. My guess is that one of Johnson, Young or Chapman (or maybe O'Driscoll if he can get himself fit and raring to go) will play on the fat wing with Aish on the skinny side and potentially some time from Stanley as a rotation / Sub.

State leagues are just the last place to look for speed and x factor even if you wanted it. After the draft, young players who have been hidden in one way or another from the draft is your next best bet for that kind of thing.

Anyway, speed is overrated; ball movement speed and precision is much more important as is defensive pressure.

Our wings are the glaring deficiency. There’s been plenty of names thrown up to fill the void.

The more I think about it the more I’m warming to the idea of Freddy on the wing. If we use him in that role effectively he could be a real point of difference for our ball movement and provide a real headache for the opposition. Still not sold on his kicking and decision making but would not be against giving it a go. Freddy on the wing has the added bonus of allowing us to bring in someone like Emmett to replace his pressure role in the forward line.

Of the other names thrown out there Chapman intrigues me too. However with Young appearing destined for the middle, we are a little thin down back for intercept/rebound.

I don’t really love Johnson on the wing. I’m very high on him as clearance mid, with his evasiveness and ability to get his hands free and stand up in the tackles. Moving him to the outside doesn’t really capitalise on those strengths. I see him in conjunction with Brayshaw, Serong and Young as a pretty formidable quartet.

Erasmus is not a winger.

I’m pretty down on NOD he’s regressed enormously. Needs a huge pre season. I was sold on him as a lock on the wing for the next decade after 2022.

Stanley is raw but clearly has the talent. I think it would be optimistic to expect him to force his way in and play a lot of senior footy. Long term looks like a high ceiling prospect.

Switkowski is another. I personally don’t really see him there. On the other hand, has struggled to impact on the scoreboard and the emergence of Emmett and Sturt perhaps his impact might be better further up the ground.

Aish is probably the one I’m most confident on. Experienced player, has the defensive capability and will play whatever role the team asks. I thought he was excellent on the wing prior to being KO’d in the Richmond game.

If we bring in Sharp, obviously I think he gets a real decent crack at it too. His disposal at times is iffy. Had some very good games in 2022. I think he’s a victim of suns spitting the dummy post trade request and refusing to play him.

TLDR; I’d probably have Aish and Freddy/Sharp (pending trade) on the wings. Other options available but probably have more of an impact on team balance in attack and down back.

Our wings are the glaring deficiency. There’s been plenty of names thrown up to fill the void.

The more I think about it the more I’m warming to the idea of Freddy on the wing. If we use him in that role effectively he could be a real point of difference for our ball movement and provide a real headache for the opposition. Still not sold on his kicking and decision making but would not be against giving it a go. Freddy on the wing has the added bonus of allowing us to bring in someone like Emmett to replace his pressure role in the forward line.

Of the other names thrown out there Chapman intrigues me too. However with Young appearing destined for the middle, we are a little thin down back for intercept/rebound.

I don’t really love Johnson on the wing. I’m very high on him as clearance mid, with his evasiveness and ability to get his hands free and stand up in the tackles. Moving him to the outside doesn’t really capitalise on those strengths. I see him in conjunction with Brayshaw, Serong and Young as a pretty formidable quartet.

Erasmus is not a winger.

I’m pretty down on NOD he’s regressed enormously. Needs a huge pre season. I was sold on him as a lock on the wing for the next decade after 2022.

Stanley is raw but clearly has the talent. I think it would be optimistic to expect him to force his way in and play a lot of senior footy. Long term looks like a high ceiling prospect.

Switkowski is another. I personally don’t really see him there. On the other hand, has struggled to impact on the scoreboard and the emergence of Emmett and Sturt perhaps his impact might be better further up the ground.

Aish is probably the one I’m most confident on. Experienced player, has the defensive capability and will play whatever role the team asks. I thought he was excellent on the wing prior to being KO’d in the Richmond game.

If we bring in Sharp, obviously I think he gets a real decent crack at it too. His disposal at times is iffy. Had some very good games in 2022. I think he’s a victim of suns spitting the dummy post trade request and refusing to play him.

TLDR; I’d probably have Aish and Freddy/Sharp (pending trade) on the wings. Other options available but probably have more of an impact on team balance in attack and down back.
The problem with Freddy to a wing is he is our most reliable set shot for goal. Would you risk losing that to throw him on a wing?

The problem with Freddy to a wing is he is our most reliable set shot for goal. Would you risk losing that to throw him on a wing?

Doesn’t Walters comfortably hold that title? Amiss too. But I see your point our other forwards struggle with accuracy.

As a winger I think he can get on the end of transition plays and still kick goals. He likes running in from 50. We do rob the the forward line of something but I think it could be worth the potential gain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i mean i doubt hed be the winger getting back to support the defence, imagine its much the same as his current role as hhf, but on the wing he can get a lot more space to run

not really too concerned with the absent wing position, plenty of players can roll through there as we saw towards the end of the year

FB: Wagner Pearce Hamling
HB: Ryan Cox Clark
C: Chapman Serong Aish
HF: Switkowski Tracy Sturt
FF: Schulz Amiss Walters

Fol: Darcy Brayshaw Jackson

Inter: O'Meara Fyfe Johnson Emmett

Sub: Erasmus

FB: Wagner Pearce Hamling
C: Chapman Serong Aish
HF: Switkowski Tracy Sturt

Fol: Darcy Brayshaw Jackson

Inter: O'Meara Fyfe Johnson Emmett

Sub: Erasmus
No Frederick? No Young?

For mine that defence is too defensive with not enough rebound - if we aren't going to play Young in the midfield he should be in that backline.

FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Wagner Cox Chapman
C: Clark Young Brayshaw
HF: Sturt Jackson Erasmus
FF: Treacy Amiss Walters

R: Darcy Serong Johnson

I: Aish Schultz Frederick O'Meara

Switkowski Brodie Fyfe

No Young or Frederick? Turn it up
Oh shite sorry (everyone), that was an oversight and too many red wines (public holiday) ... I take it all back, here is this better ...

FB: Wagner Pearce Chapman
C: Frederick Serong Aish
HF: Switkowski Jackson Sturt

Fol: Darcy Brayshaw Young

Inter: Tracy Fyfe Johnson Switkowski

Interchange: O'Meara

I promise not to drink and post again !!!

Oh shite sorry (everyone), that was an oversight and too many red wines (public holiday) ... I take it all back, here is this better ...

Now you have Switowski in twice!

Bring in O'Meara for the Switta clone and Erasmus as the emergency would be about myn.

With Henry gone:

FF: Walters Amiss Shultz
HF: Sturt Treacy Jackson
C: NOD Brayshaw Aish
HB: Young Cox Clark
FB: Ryan Pearce Chapman

R: Darcy Serong JOM

I: Freddie Emmett Johnson Switta

Pushing for a spot:
Erasmus
Stanley
Walker (if recovery goes well)
Brodie
Worner
Wagner

Depth:
Banfield
Hughes
Wilson
Hamling (if he goes around again)
Knobel

Who ****ing knows:
Fyfe
Tabs

Would be interested in switching AB to a wing role and transitioning NOD to inside mid, I recon with his burst speed and goal kicking ability he could become a force in there

With Henry gone:

FF: Walters Amiss Shultz
HF: Sturt Treacy Jackson
C: NOD Brayshaw Aish
HB: Young Cox Clark

R: Darcy Serong JOM

I: Freddie Emmett Johnson Switta

Pushing for a spot:
Erasmus
Stanley
Walker (if recovery goes well)
Brodie
Worner
Wagner

Depth:
Banfield
Hughes
Wilson
Hamling (if he goes around again)
Knobel

Who ****ing knows:
Fyfe
Tabs

Would be interested in switching AB to a wing role and transitioning NOD to inside mid, I recon with his burst speed and goal kicking ability he could become a force in there
until NOD shows something he is so far away from the side its not funny, wagner is also 100% in the team round 1 brings run and carry like no one else on the list tbh

HB: Clark Cox Wagner
C: Johnson Serong Freddie
HF: Schultz Jackson Switta
FF: Walters Amiss Treacy
INt: Emmet, Sturt, Aish, JOM
Sub: Ras

i mean i doubt hed be the winger getting back to support the defence, imagine its much the same as his current role as hhf, but on the wing he can get a lot more space to run

not really too concerned with the absent wing position, plenty of players can roll through there as we saw towards the end of the year
His efforts to spoil defensively are legendary and have won us games. I think he'd commit 100% to whatever he was asked to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back