Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Provided Sturt keeps averaging 2 goals each game the interesting call will be Banfield versus Walters when he returns. It would still be a big call in my opinion to leave Walters out in a big game.
This is going to be a selection conundrum.
Michael Walters’ prospects for the remainder of this season, when he is fit, loom as an enormous test for the match committee.
Is there a place for sentiment now when it could jeopardise a grand final ?

This is going to be a selection conundrum.
Michael Walters’ prospects for the remainder of this season, when he is fit, loom as an enormous test for the match committee.
Is there a place for sentiment now when it could jeopardise a grand final ?

We’d better re- sign Banners this week then if he’s a chance to be dropped or sub when Sonny returns.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We’d better re- sign Banners this week then if he’s a chance to be dropped or sub when Sonny returns.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Exactly ! There is so much at stake from now on entailing selection integrity.
Consider these ; The timing of the return of Brennan Cox and what that means for Josh Draper after such an impressive game against Sydney.
The same for Alex Pearce with the timing being critical for leadership on field and the risk of re-injury.
Michael Walters with his poor form and who misses out in a forward line that has finally clicked and looks well balanced.
Do the benefits of his maturity and experience carry more weight than his poor form ? And has the mysterious hand injury contributed to his poor form, and any other ailment he may be carrying that fans don’t know about.
These selection decisions are going to test JL.

I don’t see how Sonny can be brought in with current team (forward line) performance and his personal form. He needs to play WAFL and earn a place if he can.
But as sure as the sun rises there will be a cohort peddling the sentiment card.
I understand all that. This is looming as a conundrum if Walters is fully fit come finals time.
Glad it’s not me to have to make this decision.

But as sure as the sun rises there will be a cohort peddling the sentiment card.
I understand all that. This is looming as a conundrum if Walters is fully fit come finals time.
Glad it’s not me to have to make this decision.
we don't really know what Freo's priority is for 2024 - we are all optimistic because we are seeing results and a pathway to finals, but part of me thinks Freo coaching staff are using our older guys (Fyfe, Son Son and O'Meara) to be out there training the apprentices for the future, and are looking more at 2025 and beyond.

we don't really know what Freo's priority is for 2024 - we are all optimistic because we are seeing results and a pathway to finals, but part of me thinks Freo coaching staff are using our older guys (Fyfe, Son Son and O'Meara) to be out there training the apprentices for the future, and are looking more at 2025 and beyond.
That’s valid. Nat and Jaeger are deserving of their spot but Walters, since rd 3 has been a liability.
His form has fallen off a cliff.
As far as the other two go, “ Examples have twice the value of advice “.
It’s the absolute perfect storm in Michael’s case. How does he get the chance to earn his spot on merit when every game from here on is critical for our finals hopes.

That’s valid. Nat and Jaeger are deserving of their spot but Walters, since rd 3 has been a liability.
His form has fallen off a cliff.
As far as the other two go, “ Examples have twice the value of advice “.
It’s the absolute perfect storm in Michael’s case. How does he get the chance to earn his spot on merit when every game from here on is critical for our finals hopes.
As a family, we have noticed how Johnson sometimes looks 'out of position' but placed so he can be watching Fyfe - might just be a coincidence?

Bar Cox and Pearce that was our strongest team on the weekend.

Cox in for Davies if Cox is ready after his match fitness at Peel
Pearce in for Draper which seems harsh on Draper but zpearcis the captain and in.AA form

Walters isn't playing better than any of the other players on the weekend named. So he can be an emergency

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bar Cox and Pearce that was our strongest team on the weekend.

Cox in for Davies if Cox is ready after his match fitness at Peel
Pearce in for Draper which seems harsh on Draper but zpearcis the captain and in.AA form

Walters isn't playing better than any of the other players on the weekend named. So he can be an emergency
Maybe you could argue Aish comes out and Walters sub?

Maybe you could argue Aish comes out and Walters sub?

Yes, the only issue I have with Aidh dropped. It leaves us a little one dimensional with the sub. Aish can play multiple positions and is in better form than Walters. I like his flexibility.

Aish might as well look for another club if an out of form player who is heading towards his last few seasons pushes him out.

Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chappy
JOM Brayshaw Sharp
Sturt Treacy Freddy
Switta Amiss Jackson

Darcy Young Serong.

Fyfe, Johnson, Banfield, Wagner.

Sub: Aish.
I agree completely with your best 22. Here's my way too early best 22 for 2025
I should be clear I'm adding Chad Warner to my best 22 as its my hopeful best 22.
B: Walker A.Pearce Draper
HB: Ryan Cox Clark
C: Chapman Serong Sharp
R: Darcy Brayshaw Warner
HF: Young Treacy Switta
FF: Freddy Amiss Jackson
I/C Johnson, Wagner, O'Meara, Sturt

Sub Aish
Emergencies, Fyfe, Banfield, Walters, Simpson, Voss

Last edited:

Sub Aish
Yes, way too early, if Chapman moved to wing, it’s JOM not Fyfe who moves to the emergency list.

Sub Aish
Could we squeeze Bobby Hill in there ?

Sub Aish
I don't mind it. I prefer Young to be midfield, and I am not sure Warner or Wagner are clear best 22. I Fyfe, Banfield ahead of them. Also, for 2025 you should consider the 3 first rounders we have, assuming we get Berry or Kako (hopefully both) I think they will be close to best 22 straight away.

Here is my thoughts

2024 Best team

HF: Sturt Treacy Switta
R: Darcy Brayshaw Young

I/C Johnson, Fyfe , O'Meara, Banfield
Sub: Aish
Emergencies: Wagner , Warner, Walters, Simpson, Voss, Davies

The back 6 looks really good
The forward 6 is pretty strong, but could use an additional small forward or two, with Switta pushed to the midfield.
Midfield is solid, but players like Banfield, O'Meara, Fyfe could be upgraded or will need to be by 2026.

I think if we draft one or two small forwards with first round picks, they will be very close to best 22.

2025 Best team

HF: Sturt Treacy <Small forward we draft>

I/C Switta, Johnson, Fyfe , <Outside mid or small forward we drafted>
Emergencies: Wagner , Warner, Walters, Simpson, Voss, Davies, <New draftees not best 22>, O'Meara, Banfield

This is very tough on O'Meara and Banfield, but it eventually players like this and Fyfe will eventually just be depth.
Draper could be pushed out as well, and Chapman moved back. When you see tough calls like this, you know you have a good squad of 30.

-- 33 good players, I think we could have 4 or 5 injuries with out losing too much assuming they are not all in the one area.

Last edited:
I don't mind it. I prefer Young to be midfield, and I am not sure Warner or Wagner are clear best 22. I Fyfe, Banfield ahead of them. Also, for 2025 you should consider the 3 first rounders we have, assuming we get Berry or Kako (hopefully both) I think they will be close to best 22 straight away.

Here is my thoughts

2024 Best team

HF: Sturt Treacy Switta

I/C Johnson, Fyfe , O'Meara, Banfield
Emergencies: Wagner , Warner, Walters, Simpson, Voss, Davies, 3 First rounds draft picks

The back 6 looks really good
The forward 6 is pretty strong, but could use an additional small forward or two, with Switta pushed to the midfield.
Midfield is solid, but players like Banfield, O'Meara, Fyfe could be upgraded or will need to be by 2026.

I think if we draft one or two small forwards with first round picks, they will be very close to best 22.

2025 Best team

HF: Sturt Treacy <Small forward we draft>

I/C Switta, Johnson, Fyfe , <Outside mid or small forward we drafted>
Emergencies: Wagner , Warner, Walters, Simpson, Voss, Davies, <New draftees not best 22>, O'Meara, Banfield

This is very tough on O'Meara and Banfield, but it eventually players like this and Fyfe will eventually just be depth.

-- 33 good players, I think we could have 4 or 5 injuries with out losing too much assuming they are not all in the one area.
How Dockery would it be to pay multiple draft picks and millions of salary to bring Warner over, only to have him as an emergency...

There are still a lot of rounds to go which we know carries the prospect of injury to any one of our players.

In an ideal footy world it won’t happen but none of our best 25-26 players are superfluous.

All are crucial and there will no doubt be ongoing player rotations which will include Walters.

As many have mentioned, the selection (or non selection) of Michael Walters when fit will be critical to integrity and team dynamics.
Surely he is not ahead of Sturt or Switta on current form, and it would be a huge call to drop Banners for him (given the versatility Banners brings).
The argument that Walters leadership is needed is not really backed up by the performance of the team since he has gone.
He has been an absolute champion, but at this stage, and if there are no injuries, he should not be a walk up start to the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back