Toast 2024 Best and Fairest - Skilton Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Horse spoke mostly impressively. Fluffed a bit in the middle and brought it home strong.

He said words to the effect of we know what went wrong but we don't know why and we're trying to figure that out.

The part I didn't like was when he said he doesn't think we'll ever have the answer. While, to a degree, that may be true, it is not a satisfactory answer to the question. At some point the club has to give some kind of an account and if not at the B&F when's it going to be? Sounds like they're going to squib it like they did with their explanation of Callum Mills' injury - it was not enough to say "we're extremely disappointed" in him without ever saying why. I also would have liked to have him lay out clearly the what. It still needs to be done, even if the club decided the B&F was not the occasion to do it.

After that he did a good job of actually refocusing people (players, supporters) on the future with some reason for optimism. I didn't get the impression he was unfazed by what happened or that he won't be looking into it and questioning really deeply. Everyone (players, coaches) say no stone was left unturned in the preparation.

I also found it instructive to hear the coach confirm that the club were believers in the game style played all year. Whether we agree with that assessment, is a different question. It was illuminating to hear Horse's take.

Otherwise, rapt to see recognition for Rowy as best clubman.

I would have preferred to see Melican rewarded as most improved but satisfied with McInerney and can kind of understand because Melican's improvement was a lot to do with not being injured. Also may have been a factor that McInerney is younger and even though not necessarily logical I think they may tend to favour younger/developing players with this award.

Robbo clear winner of Rising Star.

No surprises with Heenz winning other awards.

Mitchell was rewarded ahead of Francis and Cleary for playing more games and being uber-consistent. Works damn hard. Well deserved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 2024 Best and Fairest - Skilton Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back