Prediction 2024 Brownlow Medal contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the umpires will go the other way with him, and be more cautious about throwing votes his way after last year's result.

Think Judd and Swan in 2010 and 2011.

I think last year they gave him votes to somewhat make up for 2022 and losing to Cripps who should've been ineligible.

I agree this year they'll go the other way, though I still find it a bit bizzare how poorly the other Brisbane midfielders seem to poll.

I'd like to see Bont win one personally. I do think Cripps is probably ahead though; will be interesting to see how he polls to end the season with Carlton's current form.

It would be an interesting one.

A legitimate tackle gone wrong could get you 4 weeks, but is a footballing act and unintentional.

Do we think players should still be eligible for the Brownlow in that instance?

I do.
You're right. It's hard to draw the line. I agree that when a player is tackled causing an inadvertent head-knock, that should not rule them out of the Brownlow. But then if they tackle in a way that seems obvious would result in a head injury, that probably should. But there's a huge gray area there and figuring out where the demarcation line is would be profoundly difficult. Same with bumps.

I think last year they gave him votes to somewhat make up for 2022 and losing to Cripps who should've been ineligible.

I agree this year they'll go the other way, though I still find it a bit bizzare how poorly the other Brisbane midfielders seem to poll.

I'd like to see Bont win one personally. I do think Cripps is probably ahead though; will be interesting to see how he polls to end the season with Carlton's current form.
Only problem is that on most measures Neale has played better this year and especially has been better kicking the ball inside 50 (maybe more eye catching).

McCluggage has had some very big eye catching games with clutch goal kicking but not able to do it regularly enough to take votes off Neale

In regards to eligibility, could you make it that intentional acts disqualify you, but reckless is still eligible?
Getting rubbed out isn't what it used to be. A large share of suspensions now are essentially for bad execution of technique, making a mockery of the 'fairest' criterion for the Brownlow.

The spirit of the rule is what it sounds like -'fairest'. It's about eliminating players who intentionally engage in unfair, wrongful acts. Tackling someone incorrectly in a split-second stuff-up of technique is not the kind of thing the founders of the award had in mind. Only intentional acts should rule you out of the Brownlow.

I actually dont mind the NRL system which is something like lose 1 vote for every game suspended. Means you are punished for minor suspensions but its still possible to win. But multiple weeks becomes double whammies that wipe you out of contention quickly

I personally don’t think Bont has been as influential as the past two hes finished second in. Even if some pure numbers are actually better.

I thought he started off this year really slow too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Cripps is leading ATM but will struggle to get votes in the last 2 rounds with the Blues likely to get smashed with so many out
I think those marches at worst will be competitive given the opposition aren’t exactly world beaters.

Would also expect that Cripps has a massive hand in the games being close even if you weren’t to win. I can see him polling very well to finish. Might come down to if Windhager is available and plays

In regards to eligibility, could you make it that intentional acts disqualify you, but reckless is still eligible?

It isn't a bad idea, would be funny though when teams inevitably challenge MRO suspensions to basically say "This is 100% about getting it downgraded from intentional and keeping him eligible for the Brownlow." Which, of course is what happens now, but it'd be much more open.

he wont or shouldn't win but don't be surprised if Noah Anderson sneaks into the top 5 or even top 3. Has been very up and down but as a general rule, he's been huge when we've won. Conservatively I'd say he'll be on around 20 with two rounds to go but he could realistically be as high as 27 if he polls better than expected in a couple of games.

Should guarantee 3 votes in rounds 5 / 7 / 10 / 12 / 16 / 18 and should or could poll in rounds 0 / 1 / 13 / 17 / 21 / 22

Obviously I don't watch enough football, but Cripps season hasn't struck me as being a brilliant one
Could be wrong but from what I've seen he's been better and probably more deserved than his last win. Definite reason he's at the top of most predictors. Might come down to how he goes now that the rest of the team are missing

Think Cripps is leading ATM but will struggle to get votes in the last 2 rounds with the Blues likely to get smashed with so many out

In 2019 Carlton finished 16th with 7 wins 15 losses, he polled 26 votes that year. Blues started that year 1 win 5 losses and he polled 14 votes from those games. He polls better/is more noticeable when his team sucks. If blues can keep the next 2 games somewhat competitive he should feature.

In 2019 Carlton finished 16th with 7 wins 15 losses, he polled 26 votes that year. Blues started that year 1 win 5 losses and he polled 14 votes from those games. He polls better/is more noticeable when his team sucks. If blues can keep the next 2 games somewhat competitive he should feature.
I guess also his main opposition at his club in S Walsh and C Curnow had lesser years

want to see Bont take it out.
champion who just leads his team with out any bullshit.
-would not be surprised if Neale takes it

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2024 Brownlow Medal contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back