Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Who wins the 24 Chas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So when is the AFL going to have the balls to turn the Brownlow into a coaches vote system?

Simply put the Brownlow tally is no longer a reflection of the genuine best/influential players and does not take into consideration intricacies of the game in relation to roles played. And it's too skewed to mid table teams with single star players.

It just feels stupid for the umps to be the vote givers and no longer holds credibility. Just change it immediately, shouldn't even be up for debate, and doubt anyone would complain.

I'm confused why Bontempelli didn't get more votes.

I think we all are but the reason is that Treloar took votes off him. That's part of the wheel of how the Brownlow works.

Every meaningful category … except:

Metres gained : 482 v 439
Centre clearances: 3.4 v 2.9
Inside 50’s : 6.0 v 5.3
Goal assists : 1.2 v 0.8
Score Inv : 9.0 v 8.0
Involved % team scores : 35.2% v 31.6%

And Martin won AFL MVP, Coaches award and basically every other award that exists in 2017 - then capped it off with the Gary Ayres award, a Norm Smith and a flag.

So you mean better in every meaningful
category … except a whole massive heap of meaningful categories. Good one champ.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You forgot clangers.

Dangerfield went at 29 disposals and 2 goals a game.

Ahead in
Kicking efficiency
Disposals
Effective disposals
Clearances
Goals
Nearly doubled dustys tackles
Contested possessions
Contested marks
Marks inside 50
Stoppage clearances

Dustys season was the all time season you think it was.

It's been that way for decades. That's why Gary Abblett Jr won two more Brownlows than his dad, despite Sr being a much better player.

Yep, I know it’s not a new thing. I think last night shone a light on it way more though.

Cripps deserved it for sure, but there has to be a better way to decide for the premier award in AFL.

If the Brownlow was a random award no one would care, but the fact it’s marketed as the one individual AFL medal that counts makes it more important than it should be.

Last nights brownlow confirmed that the Bont is indeed overrated.
He wasnt in coaches association top5 either.

All it shows is the AFL players MVP is more of the popularity type vote.

Umpires and coaches had almost the same top5, no Bont in it.

But the tick a box at the end of the year after not watching games went to Bont.

He wasnt in coaches association top5 either.

All it shows is the AFL players MVP is more of the popularity type vote.

Umpires and coaches had almost the same top5, no Bont in it.

But the tick a box at the end of the year after not watching games went to Bont.

All Bulldogs fans would tell you Bont didn’t have his best season, he still ended the season with averages of:

26 disposals per game
8 score involvements per game
6 clearances per game
5 tackles per game

Oh and 32 goals to go with it.

The posts have been well and truely moved for the Bont. Bont got 0 votes in games where Cripps and Daicos would have easily got the 3.

Congrats to Patrick Cripps,a top bloke going by his fantastic speech but umps,cmon.
45 votes.

Cripps was the best individual player for his team, for the entire season, and that's why he won by the length of the Flemington straight. That's what the brownlow is all about .
What did stand out for me was the dominance of Sydney's midfield- those 3 , collectively , have dominated the season.
I wish Cripps had some friends to help him but he doesn't. Same with Daicos - he was 30 votes clear of the next best at Collingwood. That has to be a brownlow record surely.
Could have something to do with having an injury list as long as your arm with players going on and off every week. Can't recall if Cripps had a week off.

Most people seem to have no issues with Cripps winning, they are lamenting the winning vote inflation, and particularly well known players getting votes for fairly average games.

I hope it's just a weird year where the top 2 essentially had no internal competition. Watching pies and blues games it's clear that the teams as a whole struggled with consistency and I think that's reflected in the ladder positions.

If the dogs finish 9th next year, bont plays every game but they use 40+ players due to injuries it might be repeated but I hope not.

Having said that I do hope bontempelli snags it next year, arguably the best current player (mid) not to have won

They should let bigfooty vote the winner. Couldn't be a worse result than 45 votes
You sure about that. There's some absolute turkeys around here

Patrick Cripps is now officially the greatest player of all time.

Years from now you'll sit back and remember where you were when he had that marvellous 19 possession, 2 vote game.

All Bulldogs fans would tell you Bont didn’t have his best season, he still ended the season with averages of:

26 disposals per game
8 score involvements per game
6 clearances per game
5 tackles per game

Oh and 32 goals to go with it.

The posts have been well and truely moved for the Bont. Bont got 0 votes in games where Cripps and Daicos would have easily got the 3.
Did he play forward much? Only reason I can think he missed out on so many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best way to ensure players get close to the votes they deserve is have a panel appointed that gives every player a rating out of 10 for every game they played. One of the issues is that by rewarding so few each game it exaggerates the impact of star players that don't have other star midfielder's taking votes off them. Dusty in 2017 for me was the standout as he was able to do it in a dominant team with multiple other players playing well that had Dusty not been there would have been up there or deserved winners.

As many Carlton and neutral supporters have pointed out, Cripps was always going to poll well given he had a consistent year and was Carlton's best player by distance. Also says a lot about why Carlton and Collingwood weren't at the pointy end of the season as they can have 1 player pool that many votes and then nothing. Look at the 4 preliminary finalists, Sydney's main 3 midfielders all scoring mid 20s, Port Butters and JHF over 20 with a couple others high teens, Brisbane similar. Geelong had (I think it was 6 players) with more than 15 votes. These are spreads that would have coaches happier that either Voss or McCrae.

For all the criticisms of players getting votes for relatively ordinary games one thing that needs to be remembered is that every match has the same number of votes handed out to the same number of players regardless of the quality of that game. For example if you asked 20 people to give their 3, 2, 1 from both games over the weekend I can guarantee you you'd get a wider variety of names mentioned for the Geelong vs Brisbane which was an excellent spectacle to watch than Sydney vs Port which was relatively pedestrian in comparison. This would then mean that players who had very good games in the Geelong vs Brisbane don't get votes where a lesser performance in the Sydney vs Port game would have.
Best suggestion so far. If every player was given a rating for each game you would end up with the most objective winner possible. That would take away the issue of players losing votes from teammates and getting less votes despite playing a better game than a player who received 3 votes in another match. And players who don't deserve to have their votes split can receive the same rating as another.

i.e a 19 disposal game from cripps, despite maybe still being the best performance in that game, would only receive say a 7 - whilst a 25 disposal and 15 tackles from a Rowbottom in another game, who might've still only been the 3rd best player in that given game, receives an 8 as a proper reflection of his performance. It would absolutely provide a non-skewed reflection of the best performing player as well as reflect better on less obvious and key position players.

Almost goes to show that the Sunday footy show probably has the best rating system of the lot lol.

Last edited:
Who won that this year?
Cripps. I'm not saying he shouldn't have won if that's what you're trying to get at. It's just a less skewed and more objective means of rating players. Also, the sunday footy show still only rates a handful of players when i'm suggesting that every player should be rated - that would tighten up the tally and provide a better overall reflection of performance.

Patrick Cripps is now officially the greatest player of all time.

Years from now you'll sit back and remember where you were when he had that marvellous 19 possession, 2 vote game.
You think they should just award on most possessions then? Super Coach points?

34 votes out of a possible 39 in Carlton’s wins for old Crippa. Is Carlton’s list strategy to win brownlows?

Under the Brownlow voting Wric ‘the eel’ hipwood would be Carlton’s fourth best player.

Cripps. I'm not saying he shouldn't have won if that's what you're trying to get at. It's just a less skewed and more objective means of rating players. Also, the sunday footy show still only rates a handful of players when i'm suggesting that every player should be rated - that would tighten up the tally and provide a better overall reflection of performance.

Actually I didn't realise that's what the Lou Richards medal is. Not having a go at your hypothesis, makes perfect sense to me.

Below analysis stolen from this reddit post:

For those taking the "Coaches should vote the Brownlow approach", terms out Cripps was equally as respected by those coaches with only two anomalous voted games, which contributed 4 of his 45 votes. It really wasn't that unusual. Turns out whatever metric you look at Cripps had an amazing year.

• Of the 12 matches where Cripps polled 3 votes
    • The Coaches ALSO had him as BOG or equal BOG (round 24) in 7 of those.
    • Of the 5 he wasn't BOG by the coaches, he was:
      • 2nd for 3 (Round 1 vs Richmond [7 Votes] Win, Round 12 vs Port [7 Votes] Win, and Round 19 vs North [8 Votes] Win)
      • 3rd for 1 (Round 3 vs North Melbourne [6 Votes] Win)
      • 4th for 1 (Round 9 vs Melbourne [4 Votes] Win) - This was the ONLY game where he polled 3 votes and wasn't in the best 3 as deemed by the coaches
  • There were 2 games where Cripps got 0 coaches votes, but got Brownlow votes.
    • Round 4 vs Fremantle (2 Brownlow votes) - Win
    • Round 13 vs Essendon (2 Brownlow votes) - Wi

• Of the 13 matches Carlton won this year, Cripps polled the following:
    • 3 Votes (10 Times)
    • 2 Votes (2 Times)
    • The only game we won where he didn't poll 2+ votes was Opening Round against Brisbane, where he received 0 Brownlow votes
      • Also received 0 Coaches Votes
  • Of the 10 games Carlton lost, Cripps polled votes in 5
    • 3 Votes (Both incredibly close losses decided in the last minutes)
      • Round 21 vs Collingwood - 3 Point loss (1st in Coaches Votes with 9)
      • Round 24 vs St. Kilda - 2 Point loss (Equal 1st in Coaches Votes with 8, 3 way tie)
    • 2 Votes
      • Round 7 vs Geelong (2 Votes) - 13 Point loss (4th in Coaches Votes with 4)
      • Round 18 vs Western Bulldogs (2 Votes) - 14 Point loss (3rd in Coaches Votes with 6)
    • 1 Vote
      • Round 17 vs GWS (1 Vote) - 12 Point loss (Equal 2nd in Coaches Votes with 4, 5 way tie - only Carlton player in the votes)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Back